2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This data appears in the January 2020 issue of Consumer Reports (CR) magazine in the section titled Road Report (pages 49 to 60). As there is too much data to present here, only the section titled Reliability Predictions for 2020 Models (page 59 to 60) will be addressed here.

According to CR, the following criteria were used in the ratings: "Our predictions are based on overall reliability for the past three model years, provided the vehicle has not been redesigned. One or two years of data will be used if the model was redesigned in 2019 or 2018. These charts give our predicted reliability score: 41-60 is average, 61-80 is better than average, and 21-40 is worse than average."

"We base these on data gathered from our members each year about problems with their vehicles. CR's latest auto reliability survey gathered data covering about 420,000 vehicles. We analyzed trouble areas and created an overall reliability
score for each model and year. Serious problem areas that can lead to expensive repairs are more heavily weighted."

Only the categories in which Mazda models appear will be reported here.

Subcompact SUVs - 9 vehicles; range 90-36
Mazda CX-3 score 89

Compact SUVs - 13 vehicles; range 82-15
Mazda CX-5 score 82

Midsized SUVs - 14 vehicles; range 87-12
Mazda CX-9 Score 87

Sports/Sporty Cars Under $40,000 - 5 vehicles; range 95-59
Mazda MX-5 Miata Score 95

Compact/Subcompact Cars - 14 vehicles; range 96-22
Mazda 3 score 42
Highest scoring car in this category is the Toyota Corolla Hatchback with a score of 96. Lowest scoring car is the Volkswagen Jetta with a score of 22. The Mazda 3 is one step above the VW Jetta in the ranking.

As can be seen from the rankings, Mazda gets high marks in all categories except for the 3.

For more detailed information consult the article.

·
Registered
140 Posts
The rating puts the 3 in CR's average category. Sounds about right for a redesigned vehicle with only one year of input data from members who are reporting problems. 2020s will get a better rating, I suspect.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I was extremely happy with the reliability of my 2015 Mazda3 after 100,000 miles. I have a lot of gripes with my new 2019 Mazda3, however, I attribute the issues to system configuration and not reliability.

We have heard a lot of complaints on the forum about cylinder deactivation and a few other problems. People are more likely to come to a forum if they have problems so I am not ready to say there is a reliability issue.

I have scanned a few other forums and the number and extent of problems seem to be much worse for other brands. As an example, Subarus also have great reliability according to many sources, yet, based on the forums, they all seem to need head gaskets, wheel bearings and new CVT Transmissions before 100,000 miles.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I didn't said poor quality mechanically point of view. this is excellent, but point of view how is the interior assembled is poor. After less then 6000Km and 3 Months almost from everywhere inside start noise, now I have some under passage sit, dashboard all side, instrument cluster, up to glove box. To don't mention 2 time per week malfunction error message. Dealers are useless with this problems, they don't want even to check, not to ask to fix.

So, someone what to buy a M3 GT AWD?

·
Registered
100 Posts
I didn't said poor quality mechanically point of view. this is excellent, but point of view how is the interior assembled is poor. After less then 6000Km and 3 Months almost from everywhere inside start noise, now I have some under passage sit, dashboard all side, instrument cluster, up to glove box. To don't mention 2 time per week malfunction error message. Dealers are useless with this problems, they don't want even to check, not to ask to fix.

So, someone what to buy a M3 GT AWD?
I am becoming increasingly troubled by interior etc. quality as well: '19 Sport (hatch) GT/Premium, 7 months/13,000kms.

We fortunately have not had the mechanical/electronic issues (recalls aside) reported and discussed in these boards, and otherwise love the car except:
-- passenger side glove box/air bag area rattle. 'Fixed' once; came back within a month. Still to be dealt with.
-- New: deterioration of weather stripping piece affixed to rear door/sealing with front door. This has been reported by others on another thread, with pics.
-- New: over roughish surfaces, both front door areas (seems to be near the pillars) are increasingly rattly. This is now to the point of becoming very irritating.

This is our fifth '3' (all the same premium/GT trim level) in a row since '03 (the '03 was a Protege 5). None of them, until now, have exhibited these kinds of issues. Our '15 Sport/GT/Premium (67000kms) was as tight/rattle-free when turned in as the day we took delivery.

I'm waiting for the oil change service to come up in a couple of months, and then will see how the dealer responds/if anything can be done about the above. As I've said, the car is otherwise fantastic imo, and is a step up from the previous generation overall, but these kinds of things drive me nuts! This is especially the case because the interior of the car is otherwise so quiet!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I was extremely happy with the reliability of my 2015 Mazda3 after 100,000 miles. I have a lot of gripes with my new 2019 Mazda3, however, I attribute the issues to system configuration and not reliability.

We have heard a lot of complaints on the forum about cylinder deactivation and a few other problems. People are more likely to come to a forum if they have problems so I am not ready to say there is a reliability issue.

I have scanned a few other forums and the number and extent of problems seem to be much worse for other brands. As an example, Subarus also have great reliability according to many sources, yet, based on the forums, they all seem to need head gaskets, wheel bearings and new CVT Transmissions before 100,000 miles.

Interesting data point about Subaru. Thanks for that. Would you happen to have any examples from the larger marketshare brands like Toyota and Honda? I for one did my shopping against the Corolla and Civic/Accord, and I had the hardest time choosing without knowing beforehand some of these issues on the 2019 3.

I am becoming increasingly troubled by interior etc. quality as well: '19 Sport (hatch) GT/Premium, 7 months/13,000kms.

We fortunately have not had the mechanical/electronic issues (recalls aside) reported and discussed in these boards, and otherwise love the car except:
-- passenger side glove box/air bag area rattle. 'Fixed' once; came back within a month. Still to be dealt with.
-- New: deterioration of weather stripping piece affixed to rear door/sealing with front door. This has been reported by others on another thread, with pics.
-- New: over roughish surfaces, both front door areas (seems to be near the pillars) are increasingly rattly. This is now to the point of becoming very irritating.

This is our fifth '3' (all the same premium/GT trim level) in a row since '03 (the '03 was a Protege 5). None of them, until now, have exhibited these kinds of issues. Our '15 Sport/GT/Premium (67000kms) was as tight/rattle-free when turned in as the day we took delivery.

I'm waiting for the oil change service to come up in a couple of months, and then will see how the dealer responds/if anything can be done about the above. As I've said, the car is otherwise fantastic imo, and is a step up from the previous generation overall, but these kinds of things drive me nuts! This is especially the case because the interior of the car is otherwise so quiet!
I still have the door seal issue myself. I'm hoping there's some official announcement soon. Dealer knows about my issue.
I have occasional vibrations on rough surfaces too, one of which comes from within the pillar. Intermittent but exists. Dealer did not hear it on their duplication test drive. Will try again next time.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Interesting data point about Subaru. Thanks for that. Would you happen to have any examples from the larger marketshare brands like Toyota and Honda? I for one did my shopping against the Corolla and Civic/Accord, and I had the hardest time choosing without knowing beforehand some of these issues on the 2019 3.
I can’t speak to Toyota and Honda. My wife is on her 5th Subaru and I am on my 6th Mazda. Her last Subaru needed several wheel bearings go up and had a few other problems at 85,000 miles. About $2,000 total. We traded it in and held our breath hoping it would not have more problems the final days. Her prior Subaru needed a head gasket and a few other problems around 80,000 miles, again around $2,000. My 2015 Mazda3 had 100,000 and no signs of needing anything in the near future. I gave the Mazda to my son.

Prior to the 2019 Mazda3, I advised people wanting a new car that is fun to drive to buy a Mazda. I believe the reliability is on par with the best. I wouldn’t buy anything else.

Now I am holding off on recommendations. There are so many (little?) problems with the new 3 that I am not as confident. My hope is that Mazda addresses the software problems that frustrate me and the Cylinder Deactivate turns out to be a non-issue long term.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I can’t speak to Toyota and Honda. My wife is on her 5th Subaru and I am on my 6th Mazda. Her last Subaru needed several wheel bearings go up and had a few other problems at 85,000 miles. About $2,000 total. We traded it in and held our breath hoping it would not have more problems the final days. Her prior Subaru needed a head gasket and a few other problems around 80,000 miles, again around $2,000. My 2015 Mazda3 had 100,000 and no signs of needing anything in the near future. I gave the Mazda to my son.

Prior to the 2019 Mazda3, I advised people wanting a new car that is fun to drive to buy a Mazda. I believe the reliability is on par with the best. I wouldn’t buy anything else.

Now I am holding off on recommendations. There are so many (little?) problems with the new 3 that I am not as confident. My hope is that Mazda addresses the software problems that frustrate me and the Cylinder Deactivate turns out to be a non-issue long term.
I come from a family of Mazda's. One from every generation. I would never recommend a 19 to anyone that asks me about it. Bought mine in june

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry for my ignorance, but how does one identify a 2019 or 2020 model? I'm from Europe and got a Mazda 3 Skyactiv-X a few weeks ago. Is that a 2020 model?

·
Registered
189 Posts
My 2019 3 was the worst car I have ever purchased from a reliability perspective. My 2020 is perfect so far.
And yet my 2019 along with many others is perfect as well.. 0 issues and no rattles bought mine in April 2019.. I now have over 30,000 km on it now.. glad your happy with your 2020! It's a great car!

·
Registered
211 Posts
And yet my 2019 along with many others is perfect as well.. 0 issues and no rattles bought mine in April 2019.. I now have over 30,000 km on it now.. glad your happy with your 2020! It's a great car!
Still, those predicted reliability numbers gives buyers pause, and rightly so.

·
Registered
212 Posts
The complaints I've seen here and elsewhere would totally keep me from replacing my 2018 with a 2019. I don't know what's going on at Mazda but I hope they get their sh*t together.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Still, those predicted reliability numbers gives buyers pause, and rightly so.
Those numbers? The car still got an average rating not bad for a 1st model year! And I have not idea how the new Toyota Corolla is number 1 when lots of people are having transmission failures all over! the Corolla forums lots more mad people in that camp!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Those numbers? The car still got an average rating not bad for a 1st model year! And I have not idea how the new Toyota Corolla is number 1 when lots of people are having transmission failures all over! the Corolla forums lots more mad people in that camp!
True but the Mazda 3, with a score of 42, just barely made it into the Average Category. Whether that's bad, or not, for a 1st model year remains to be seen.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts