2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the logbook: Mazdaspeed3

Since we have a Volkswagen GTI in our test fleet, the logical next question is “Where’s the Mazdaspeed3?” Not to worry--we bought one. Our Mazdaspeed3 Sport stickered for $23,945 with no options, a pretty good price for its level of performance and amenities.

Both of these hot hatches got redesigned for 2010, and even though they’re rather different in personality, they’re obvious competition for one another. So, it’s no surprise that the GTI crops up a few times in the Mazdaspeed3’s logbook comments.

Take a look:
“More torque steer than I remember in the last version.”
“Shifter is easy to use and precise.”

“Quick car with bags of torque.”

“Stiff ride and somewhat noisy cabin make it a bit hard to be an everyday car.”

“Lots of fun to flog.”

“Ride decidedly taut. Lots of road noise.”

“Push-button key release is a bother.”

“Not a fan of the acid-trip door panels or red speckled dash trim.”

“Very stiff ride, tons of noise from road, tires, and engine drone.”

“Seat well-bolstered but not too snug.”

“GTI nicer to drive, but this sure ain’t bad.”

“Very strong performance – the thing flies.”

“This car beats you up almost like a [Mitsubishi Lancer] Evo but with much less reward.”

“Ridiculous torque steer, GTI is more comfy.”

“Dealer replaced water pump and thermostat housing to fix coolant leak.” (!!)

“I bet 9 out of 10 people go to the big silver knob on the radio to turn it on and adjust the volume.” (It actually adjusts the radio frequency.)

Our last-generation Mazdaspeed3 appealed to us for having great performance with decent livability. The logbook comments paint a picture of a redesign that focuses more on power than politeness.
Consumer Reports Cars Blog: From the logbook: Mazdaspeed3

---

Considering that this report contrasts just about every other 2nd gen vs 1st gen MS3 comparison, I'm really beginning to question the writers credibility. I haven't driven the 1st gen MS3 so I can't compare, but from folks who've owned the 1st gen and test-drove the 2nd gen, most have said that torque steer was reduced, and a redesign that focused on politeness over power.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have driven both generations, the first gen was only a test drive, but first impression was that the new one is far more civilized. I honestly think that whoever was complaining about torque steer in the second gen either misses their Prius or was trying to do a hard launch on gravel. The last staement smells terribly of a VW fan boy... if they were looking for power over politeness why is out put the same and e.t. slower due to smoother boost engagement?

N

·
0 Posts
not surprised

most reviews have the MS3 coming in 2nd to the GTi.

Makes me want to test drive one...

·
Registered
78 Posts
My problem with the GTi. Not enough rear seat space. Less then the Nissan Spec-V I traded in. Granted the MS3 isn't huge but my wife can fit behind me when I drive. There is no way she would fit behind me, or in the front seat with the car seat in in the GTi.

·
Continuous Party Member
563 Posts
For the life of me, I just can't fathom what p***ies these test drivers are.....they whine like the car tries to leave the road or something....act like you have a pair and drive the car like it was meant to be driven....you want quiet and luxury drive a goddamned Toyota Camry....then you can hear your Michael Bolton CD's and not spill your lattes......sheesh.....

N

·
0 Posts
i agree - most of these test drivers fail to realize that this is a performance car and it will have stiff/bumpy handling and lots of road noise. those tests are fine for family cars...

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
For the life of me, I just can't fathom what p***ies these test drivers are.....they whine like the car tries to leave the road or something....act like you have a pair and drive the car like it was meant to be driven....you want quiet and luxury drive a goddamned Toyota Camry....then you can hear your Michael Bolton CD's and not spill your lattes......sheesh.....
They only complain about torque steer because they can't handle the power :D
QFT:yes:.

·
Registered
67 Posts
+1
CR loves toyotas so much toyota style comfy and smoothness becomes requirement on every segment. they drive other cars like camry and if they don't see what they want then they cry like a little girl. uh f*** consumer reports.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts