2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, like many other people on these forums, my 2010 Mazda3 finally found its first scar. At the moment, I think I'm still in the denial/bargaining stage of the grief-coping mechanism, and I thought about joining the 'First Scar' thread (http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/2010-mazda-3-discussion/1493-first-scar.html) with my own box of tissues, but I wanted to put a different spin on things and pose a different set of questions.

While wet-sanding and some touch-up paint seem to be the best course of action, my budget for anything outside of necessary repairs is right around $0. Outside of reserving money for gas and "cost-effective" food, I'm trying to avoid paying for anything that I can live without. In line with my spend-thrift ways, I'm hoping to safely ignore the chipped-off paint in an effort to save money. This means foregoing touch-up paint or visiting a nearby dealer or auto-shop who might siphon my precious stockpile of money for next year's textbooks and tuition.

However, I understand that exposed metal and primer tends to rust and then corrode over time, especially among older cars and cars which suffered body damage from an accident. While I don't mind the aesthetic blemish of a rock chip too much, the prospect of rust, corrosion, and eventual structural decay puts me on edge. Actually, the aesthetics of the rock chip do bug the hell out of me too, but whereas that's a tolerable issue, the latter situation would be a much more considerable problem. Does anyone know if exposed primer will rust aggressively on a new car?

Since it is a new 2010 Mazda3, I would like to think that the 5-Year Rust & Corrosion Warranty would cover any potential rusting that occurs over the chipped off sections. However, I am uncertain as to whether or not the warranty covers rusting that occurs from rock chips, or if the resulting repair is unsightly (as in, maybe they just take off the layer of dust without touching-up the surrounding damage to nearby paint). This seems like an uncomfortably contentious grey area.

So, I suppose I wanted to ask you guys if it would be wise to forego any touch-up work on the car, and secondly, if the rust and corrosion warranty would cover such a situation? I do wash the car periodically, so I wouldn't completely neglect the chipped mark, but I would prefer to avoid spending money if the chip is more of an aesthetic concern than anything else.

To describe the damage a little bit, the chip is relatively small (about 1-1.5 mm in diameter), and it digs deep enough to reveal a bright silvery layer under the Graphite Mica paint. I assume that the silvery layer is exposed paint primer. The chip by itself doesn't feel like a big deal, but I drive several hundred miles on long stretches of Interstate highway so I'm certain to suffer several chips a year.

Thanks for reading, and thank you to anyone who can provide some insight on the matter.

--Garfield3d

·
Resident MacGyver
2,227 Posts
I bought some touch-up paint for about $6 and it will cover A LOT of chips. I would rather pay that than risk much more costly repairs down the road. I would say the risk is pretty high and it would be unwise to ignore.

·
Registered
46 Posts
the 5 year rust warranty doesnt cover rust from rock chips, only from rust developing under the surface of the body, so get that touch up paint lol

·
Newb... =)
745 Posts
does the 5 year rust warranty covers our brake rotors? i think the 07-09 MZ3s got those problems w/in the 5 year ownership.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bought some touch-up paint for about $6 and it will cover A LOT of chips. I would rather pay that than risk much more costly repairs down the road. I would say the risk is pretty high and it would be unwise to ignore.
Thanks for the response. Did you purchase the touch-up paint from your dealer, or did you buy it from the store? Does the bottle indicate a particular brand?

the 5 year rust warranty doesnt cover rust from rock chips, only from rust developing under the surface of the body, so get that touch up paint lol
I was afraid of that. = / I have thought of using a black Sharpie or a very thin layer of J.B. Weld (Epoxy + Resin) to cover the spot. I imagine that the Sharpie would help aesthetically but it probably wouldn't do much in terms of stopping oxidation. Now, I felt that the J.B. Weld might actually be helpful in protecting the area. My main concern with that one is that since it's epoxy-resin, it might pick up stuff while drying (but maybe no more than touch-up paint drying).

--Garfield3d

·
Resident MacGyver
2,227 Posts
What did you do with the touch-up paint, Derrick? Just clean the area and put it on, or did you wet sand or anything like that?
I haven't had a chance to use it yet. I'm going to claybar the area and apply it with a straight pen. After it's dry, I may wet sand it, but probably not. I might post pics when I get around to it.

Thanks for the response. Did you purchase the touch-up paint from your dealer, or did you buy it from the store? Does the bottle indicate a particular brand?
It's genuine Mazda paint that I ordered online. It was only about $6, but the shipping was pretty expensive for some reason.

·
Registered
46 Posts
does the 5 year rust warranty covers our brake rotors? i think the 07-09 MZ3s got those problems w/in the 5 year ownership.
i doubt it, i think only the body panels are covered in the rust warranty if im not mistaken. I also heard that you have to do annual checkups at the dealer, to check for body rust developing from the inner surface, and that if you don'\t do the annual checkups, your rust warranty becomes void. Has anyone else heard about this?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hey Derrick,

Where online did you order it? I need some touch up paint for my 2009 RX8...

·
Resident MacGyver
2,227 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The links that you guys have posted to the touch-up paint look a little different from what I saw on another site, which looked like a pen that dispensed paint on one side and layered clearcoat on the other side.

--Garfield3d

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
The links that you guys have posted to the touch-up paint look a little different from what I saw on another site, which looked like a pen that dispensed paint on one side and layered clearcoat on the other side.

--Garfield3d
Did you post a link to the site that sells this product?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Unfortunately, I do not know if there is an online site to buy that pen. I saw the picture from another Mazda forum who described it as an "OEM touch-up pen."

I called a Mazda dealership (some 190 miles away) to see if they sold touch-up paint, and they mentioned that it would be $7.95 for something that looks like a pen. So, maybe the dealership was talking about the pen above.

At 9 mL, though, it does seem as though it would contain less paint than the links that you guys posted earlier.

--Garfield3d

·
Registered
750 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts