2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

101 - 120 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #101 (Edited)
That is what LIVE means, available on Hi-Drive Server as always...

Normal posters/Thread Starters CAN NOT 'update' ANY post after 24 hours, therefore the FIRST Page of this Thread cannot be updated by me..
However, the LINK on First page, First Post is live, active and correct.

Go to North America NA01 Folder and the new Firmware is in there...

Last time I checked CANADA is part of NA01 North America.

WARNINGS:
ALWAYS Checksum the HASH Values of your .kwi file AFTER you Download it..
FOLLOW the .PDF Install Instructions PRECISELY..
DO NOT have ANY Load on Cars Battery (lights on, Radio on, Fan, etc...called load).
Make sure your cars Battery is in good condition, these Firmware updates do not take that long, under 20 minutes.
IF your cars Battery is weak, then attach a Tender/Charger while Updating.

ONLY USE A WINDOWS 10 PC for Downloading, plus USB Drive Transfer of file, DO NOT USE ANY APPLE, IOS, MAC for Diagnosis or Repairs.
DO NOT DISCONNECT YOUR CARS BATTERY TERMINAL Clamps (+ or - ) ...EVER.

·
Registered
128 Posts
10050 update flashed successfully.
Diagnostic tests passed and microphone/voice command functionality retained.
Sadly the AA/Bluetooth issue remains with an S9+ on 9.0 :(

·
Registered
95 Posts
10050 update flashed successfully.
Diagnostic tests passed and microphone/voice command functionality retained.
Sadly the AA/Bluetooth issue remains with an S9+ on 9.0 :(
Really? Well shit. That sucks. Probably not even worth updating then unless there's some other fixes that improve user experience. Have you noticed any?

I wish Mazda would publish changelogs like everyone else that produces software.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just updated from 10018, no issues. Haven't driven yet so not sure if anything changed with the behavior of things but I didn't notice any differences in the settings menus so far.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Really? Well shit. That sucks. Probably not even worth updating then unless there's some other fixes that improve user experience. Have you noticed any?

I wish Mazda would publish changelogs like everyone else that produces software.
I Just want to make this Very Clear.... :)
None of this is meant to be done by the or any Mazda Customer/Owner....Period, full stop end of story.

Firmware Updates are ONLY meant to be done Officially by Mazda Dealers.
We are fortunate to have a few Dealer Insiders who are here to help, otherwise you would see nothing and the same applied to original 6th Gen Connect.
I know for a fact that Mazda are trying to stop these firmware leaks.

:D

Anyway not dissing on you particularly, but same applies to anyone who does these firmware updates.
Mazda does not always publicize the changelog and if and when they do are to notify Mazda Dealers ONLY what was changed and why so a Dealer can address a Customers Issue....maybe.

Also 'a' particular Connect operational issue related to a particular Brand and Model of Phone can and usually is related to that particular Phone only and it's Software and or it's Firmware, Software (usually Apps) and Firmware are two different applications of code.
There were issues with Sirius and certain Apps on i-Phones and was not a Mazda problem with old 6th gen of Connect still in production..

Car brands are always playing catch up to what Samsung, Apple, Google does with their new phones.

Last if you believe there are little changes what warrant updating Firmware from 10018 to 10050, and 'not worth updating' then you are very mistaken....I can't factually back that up as I have no changelog list but I am certain bug fixes and changes are quite a few, based on my experience and past history.
Remember 10018 to 10050 is close to over 12 months of Firmware updates.

Cheers

·
Registered
95 Posts
I Just want to make this Very Clear.... :)
None of this is meant to be done by the or any Mazda Customer/Owner....Period, full stop end of story.

Firmware Updates are ONLY meant to be done Officially by Mazda Dealers.
We are fortunate to have a few Dealer Insiders who are here to help, otherwise you would see nothing and the same applied to original 6th Gen Connect.
I know for a fact that Mazda are trying to stop these firmware leaks.

:D

Anyway not dissing on you particularly, but same applies to anyone who does these firmware updates.
Mazda does not always publicize the changelog and if and when they do are to notify Mazda Dealers ONLY what was changed and why so a Dealer can address a Customers Issue....maybe.

Also 'a' particular Connect operational issue related to a particular Brand and Model of Phone can and usually is related to that particular Phone only and it's Software and or it's Firmware, Software (usually Apps) and Firmware are two different applications of code.
There were issues with Sirius and certain Apps on i-Phones and was not a Mazda problem with old 6th gen of Connect still in production..

Car brands are always playing catch up to what Samsung, Apple, Google does with their new phones.

Last if you believe there are little changes what warrant updating Firmware from 10018 to 10050, and 'not worth updating' then you are very mistaken....I can't factually back that up as I have no changelog list but I am certain bug fixes and changes are quite a few, based on my experience and past history.
Remember 10018 to 10050 is close to over 12 months of Firmware updates.

Cheers
Allow me to also be clear. My qualms are with Mazda, not the fantastic people who provide intermediate services that Mazda should be offering themselves instead of attempting to hide behind closed doors.

·
Registered
128 Posts

Well I was on 10042 prior and the AA/carplay bug was the only issue I noticed tbh.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
Allow me to also be clear. My qualms are with Mazda, not the fantastic people who provide intermediate services that Mazda should be offering themselves instead of attempting to hide behind closed doors.
Not sure what you call "intermediate services that Mazda should be offering".... Connect is not technically open source, AFAIK I do not know any car brand which permits Owners to upgrade Firmware.
There are very good reasons why.
A few do live wi-fi upgrades, but these can and usually do have many poor outcomes too for owners and car companies.
In almost all cases Auto industry Software is contracted to 3rd parties on strict oversight and copyright as Mazda etc does not design code....they make cars not software.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Connect is not technically open source, AFAIK I do not know any car brand which permits Owners to upgrade Firmware.
I will not attempt an upgrade although I recognise that others find your thread very helpful. Just for interest, is the Connect firmware everything to run the car (apart from the ECU and the sat nav SD card) or are there other modules?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Not sure what you call "intermediate services that Mazda should be offering".... Connect is not technically open source, AFAIK I do not know any car brand which permits Owners to upgrade Firmware.
A few do live wi-fi upgrades, but these can and usually do have many poor outcomes too for owners and car companies.
In almost all cases Auto industry Software is contracted to 3rd parties on strict oversight and copyright as Mazda etc does not design code....they make cars not software.
There are other brands that "allow" upgrades to the user but as you say, they are not explicitly permitting it afaik.

Something as simple as a changelog is an intermediate service. A vehicle manufactured in the last 5 years should have the hardware to support upgrades with signed code via usb with fault tolerant redundancy. Open source would be great, but do I expect it? No. It doesn't need to be open source. Think of the standard in a lot of software, the company will provide changelogs and the user is able to update it themselves.

Simply publishing the changelog so service centers and users aren't complaining about an issue and then coming in for an update when it doesn't fix anything would be a great improvement to efficiency. If you think about it from the money perspective, they could charge more for updates. At $100 each, you know they're making money.

Since you mentioned 3rd party vendors, 3rd parties also end up getting the shit end of the stick when it comes to these projects, so there's that. I'm sure you've heard of the design "features" in key FOBs that reduce the security down to the level of something a skid could hack. It's commonplace for the OEM to tell the software vendor that valid security risks can be ignored.

For f***s sake, I can upgrade the glass cockpit in a plane and get a changelog for it and you know that software is proprietary.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
It is Mazda policy not to publicly publish their 'technical changes' (and very good reasons why).
Suggest if you don't like what they do don't buy another Mazda, I can tell you now it will never change, all Japanese car brands 'control' their IP very strictly as they do their engineering details, they just do not explain why in the detail that some might like to know it.
In time a changelog will emerge to Firmware updates, just not now. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just updated my 2019 Mazda 3 with 10050. Everything is good and there are a few bug fixes. Here are the changes I have noticed:

• Fixed bug with crackly audio when starting playback in CarPlay.
  • Fixed bug where playlists would restart every time you turned on ACC/Ignition.
  • Junction view now shows a vertical bar to the right that grows as you approach a highway exit.
  • Mysterious new icon appears to the right of connected phone battery and cellular signal level at bottom right of most views. It looks like several horizontal lines with a big X over them.
Does anyone know what this new icon means? I have a hypothesis that it relates to onboard telematics in the CX-30 (which the Mazda 3 does not have), but this is a totally random guess.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just updated my 2019 Mazda 3 with 10050. Everything is good and there are a few bug fixes. Here are the changes I have noticed:
  • Mysterious new icon appears to the right of connected phone battery and cellular signal level at bottom right of most views. It looks like several horizontal lines with a big X over them.
Does anyone know what this new icon means? I have a hypothesis that it relates to onboard telematics in the CX-30 (which the Mazda 3 does not have), but this is a totally random guess.
You are correct. Below is the page from the CX-30 Connected services manual.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Does the latest 10050 firmware fix ANYTHING related to displaying speed signs that currently do show up in my HUD? I am currently at 10018 in a 2019 Mazda 3 Premium hatch.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Does the latest 10050 firmware fix ANYTHING related to displaying speed signs that currently do show up in my HUD? I am currently at 10018 in a 2019 Mazda 3 Premium hatch.
What is your issue? I'm in Canada but this feature seems to work pretty well for me - the only thing that's a bit dodgy maybe is that it'll sometimes pick up offramp speed limits when I'm not using the offramp, but otherwise it's a great feature.
Nonetheless, (I'm not an automotive systems software engineer but) I don't think that a Media Control Unit update would affect a feature like this. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

[Update]
Ah, I see in another thread that you mentioned you're not seeing speed signs at all in your dash/HUD.
Are you using CarPlay or Android Auto? When you are using maps in CarPlay it doesn't show signs, which I suspect is by design as it would be redundant with the speed limits that CarPlay already shows. Still, I dislike this limitation, I wish it still showed signs all the time regardless of whether you're using CarPlay. This probably is an MCU feature that could be affected by a firmware update.

101 - 120 of 138 Posts