2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Any idea on how this cache can be deleted? I have already tryed to reset to factory defaults and also disconnected the battery for 10 minutes. This doesn't seem to do anything.

I will try your solution tomorrow, thank you!

·
Registered
635 Posts
Any idea on how this cache can be deleted? I have already tryed to reset to factory defaults and also disconnected the battery for 10 minutes. This doesn't seem to do anything.

I will try your solution tomorrow, thank you!
I agree it could be a persistent caching problem. I read a post elsewhere on the forum which said reinstalling Gracenote would also clear the cache so that would be worth a try. We should all send complaints in to Mazda if caching is the problem and ask Mazda to provide a reset option to clear the cache.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Oh, yeah. Totally forgot about cache.

It is extremely annoying.

I've had different problem recently. I gave a car for a repair for a week, and when I got it back, I noticed that my music is fucked. It had shown wrong artist for tracks. For example, instead of Adema as an artist, it shown me Fort Minor. That was not how it was on USB, for sure.
And to fix it, I had to do factory reset.

Also, there's another annoying issue.
I have songs by Mike Shinoda from album Post Traumatic EP.
For some crazy reason it shows me the album title as "Mike Shinodaic EP".
When I investigated the tags, I noticed that they have "Album Artist" set as "Mike Shinoda", which might have confused the system and it used the "Album Artist" first, and then "Album Title", if it has more symbols, than the "Album Artist".

When I removed the "Album Artist" tags - nothing changed, and I'm not sure how to clear that fucking cache without doing the factory reset again.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Thanks. I've been using various free MP3 utilities to check the metadata e.g. MP3Diags, TagScanner, MP3Test, MP3Tag . I'm sure the metadata is correct. All tracks have embedded album art but of differing resolution. Does the Mazda software require album art having a minimum resolution or below a maximum resolution? More generally, is there a specification of how music files should be structured and what metadata they should contain to be read correctly?
I don't go over 800x800 pixels as it will make the system very slow to process all the files

·
Registered
635 Posts
I think I've solved the puzzle. There's definitely some caching going on. Here's the process that lead to that conclusion:

My folder structure on that USB drive is
/Genre/Artist/Album/01-file.mp3

None of the files showed artwork after disabling Gracenote.

While experimenting, I've noticed that if I take any of the files in that structure, and move those anywhere else on the drive, without additional changes, artwork shows. So, simply renaming the root folders, so the structure is now
/00-Genre/Artist/Album/01-file.mp3
shows the artwork everywhere, including tracks and albums where Gracenote previously used generic images.

P.S. This is after I ran a script, which clears the artwork from all files, and then reapplies a 250x250 front cover. Just in case that matters, too.
Well done aag I do believe you have found a solution to this thorny problem. I created a top level root folder and copied the music across in this file structure as produced by iTunes:

Top Folder / Artist / Album /

Voila - all tracks show the correct album art, artist and track name. All music files have embedded album art and no separate artwork file like folder.jpg. Gracenote latest v8 is enabled. There must have been remnants of cached data left behind when using the previous changed USB stick with the same folder structure which confused MZD Connect. Whenever I change the music files in future, I'm going to change the name of the top level folder on the USB drive. This will hopefully, trick MZD Connect in thinking there is a different music library and cause it to clear the cache and do a full re-scan.

I have two remaining issues. Firstly, playlists are found but sometimes will only play the first 5 tracks. Secondly, when I list songs and choose shuffle play, the car only plays about 8 unique songs then just repeats the same ones. More to figure out!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I don't know whether I have done something wrong but aag's solution does not work for me.

My structure looks similar.
/Artist/Album/*.mp3

I have placed said artists into a new dircetory after which the structure looked like this
/DamnYouConnect/Artist/Album/*mp3

It still was not showing the cover for the album.

·
Registered
79 Posts
There is this line in jci/usbm/usbms_config.xml:

Code:
<USBMS_MediaCore_DB_persistent_location value="/data/media.db"/>
A tweak to delete that file may be equivalent to clearing the cache, but I don't know for sure.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I don't know whether I have done something wrong but aag's solution does not work for me.

/Artist/Album/*.mp3

I have placed said artists into a new dircetory after which the structure looked like this

I just deleted the existing files on the USB stick and copied them over again in the structure you stated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
@sc489
I've tryed it yet again and still no luck. I have deleted everyting. Created a generic root directory and copied the artists directory in it. I even renamed the artist directory. 3 out of 4 don't show covery.

My next point agains the cache theory is that, as I mentioned on the previous page, all my digitaly bought mp3s show the cover fine. And their location on the usb stick is the same as ever.

·
Registered
635 Posts
@sc489
I've tryed it yet again and still no luck. I have deleted everyting. Created a generic root directory and copied the artists directory in it. I even renamed the artist directory. 3 out of 4 don't show covery.

My next point agains the cache theory is that, as I mentioned on the previous page, all my digitaly bought mp3s show the cover fine. And their location on the usb stick is the same as ever.
I suggest you use MP3tag & Tagscanner to review the metadata in your mp3 files. When using MP3tag, I noticed some tracks had multiple art work embedded and modified those files to contain only one embedded artwork file. I also used MP3test for a quick diagnostic check of mp3 files and MP3Diags for a full diagnostic check and error correction. I published a guide just below which may be worth a look.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I don't know if it will solve anyone's problems, but I use (don't laugh) iTunes for fixing track data and adding artwork. I have found that it carries over very well to just about every program for listening to music and showing artwork. I also prefer the AAC file format as quality is much higher than the equivalent MP3 compression/format (a subject for another time, perhaps). Aside from having to wait for a minute or two for Connect to reprocess my library, I have had no issues with nearly 20GB of music on a USB 3.0 drive that stays in the car until I add new albums.

I place all of my album folders in the root folder of the drive (Ex. X:\(Album Folder Here). Connect is a bit slower after you exceed 8GB worth of files.

In 7 months, I have only had one occasion where Connect didn't remember the last track that was playing, but that was after I took it to the dealership for my first (free) check-up.

I am running the last version pre-.502, and I have updated Gracenote to the latest version.

~Ex

·
Registered
635 Posts
I don't know if it will solve anyone's problems, but I use (don't laugh) iTunes for fixing track data and adding artwork. I have found that it carries over very well to just about every program for listening to music and showing artwork. I also prefer the AAC file format as quality is much higher than the equivalent MP3 compression/format (a subject for another time, perhaps). Aside from having to wait for a minute or two for Connect to reprocess my library, I have had no issues with nearly 20GB of music on a USB 3.0 drive that stays in the car until I add new albums.

I place all of my album folders in the root folder of the drive (Ex. X:\(Album Folder Here). Connect is a bit slower after you exceed 8GB worth of files.

In 7 months, I have only had one occasion where Connect didn't remember the last track that was playing, but that was after I took it to the dealership for my first (free) check-up.

I am running the last version pre-.502, and I have updated Gracenote to the latest version.

~Ex
I used iTunes but still had problems which I solved as posted here earlier http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/2014-2017-mazda-3-skyactiv-audio-electronics/221066-guide-how-play-music-usb-drive-mzd-connect.html
What happens when you remove your USB drive, edit some music files then reinsert the drive? Does the changed music metadata and artwork still display correctly or is the data incorrect possibly due to the caching issue some of us have discussed?

·
Registered
10 Posts

/Artist/Album/*.mp3

Keep in mind, that this was the last step, after:
1) disabling Gracenote by aborting the upgrade, and
2) Normalizing artwork on all tracks, by deleting existing artwork, and then reapplying a single 250x250 image to all of them.

·
Registered
24 Posts
What happens when you remove your USB drive, edit some music files then reinsert the drive? Does the changed music metadata and artwork still display correctly or is the data incorrect possibly due to the caching issue some of us have discussed?
I guess I can't speak directly to that, as I don't update my music files. I am rather meticulous about the embedded data and they are 100% correct and verified before moving them to the USB drive (or my Phone, or my PMP, or my Surface, etc.). I will make an alteration to an album and see what happens, as now I am curious.

~Ex

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Keep in mind, that this was the last step, after:
1) disabling Gracenote by aborting the upgrade, and
2) Normalizing artwork on all tracks, by deleting existing artwork, and then reapplying a single 250x250 image to all of them.
I am not using 250x250 album art and shurely won't because that is not the problem of dimension. All Cover that are currently showing up are 700x700 minimum.

I have reported my problem to a Mazda retailer & workshop. He has contacted Mazda via mail. Sent them a description and some photos. He used my USB stick in a CX3 and the album art showed perfectly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sounds like ap0's problem was bigger but for others who find this thread here are some tips.

2018 Mazda 3 GT
- USB drive (SanDisk Cruzer Fit 32GB)
- iTunes 12.6 on Mac 10.11

before figuring this out:
- many of the USB covers were correct
- some were alternates for the artist
- some were generic for the genre
- some were totally incorrect
- some were blank

after figuring this out:
- 100% what I want from iTunes

how
- re-embed artwork into iTunes files using Doug’s AppleScript: Re-Embed Artwork (could do this other ways)
- locate iTunes folder on Hard Drive, e.g. /Users/zleber/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music
- drag Music folder or some of its contents to USB drive
- rename root level Music folder on USB drive whenever making changes to clear Mazda cache, e.g. Music 2018-09-09b

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes this solution worked for me after trying so many other things.

Cleared all ID3 tags of extraneous information.
Cleared all album art and downloaded afresh (600x600 jpegs).
Reformatted USB drive (Sandisk 32Gb USB3.0, FAT32).
Synced music to drive using MusicBee.
Re-updated Gracenote (V9.0 I think).

Started up Mazda Connect and my first song's album art displayed correctly.
UNTIL: "Supported by Gracenote©" was displayed on screen, oh how I hate those words.
The artwork then changed to some random unassociated pic and many songs had no art....arghhhh.

Tried aag's fix by renaming the top folder from Music Library to just Music and voila.
Re-inserted USB drive. I could tell the system had reset as I was back at song #1 in the root folder.
1873/9.1Gb of 4 & 5 star songs all displaying correct tags and album art. Cheers all.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts