2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am having a problem that I was now trying to solve for 3 days without success.

Two weaks ago my Mazda dealer updated my car to Version 59.00.504 EU N.
It then started that some albums on my usb stick did not show correct album covers. Instead a generic cover was displayed. Something like "Alternative and Punk" on it. At this time Gracenote was at verion 7 (or something).

I have read some threads that people have interrupted the update process of gracenote to "disable" it. I have tryed that but now none of my albums have an cover displayed. There is also no generic picture shown. My first question would be to those who have disabled gracenote: is that normal? Have you disabled gracenote but your cover are still displayed?

I have spend hours to check my tags on all of my mp3s. Multiple times I have overriden all files to use ID3 v2.3. I took me forever to manually change all covers to a lower resoltuion because I thought that might be the problem, that the image is too big. To no avail.

Today I updated to latest gracenote verion - 00.8.000 or what it is. I still have the same problem. But now stupid gracenote also displayes wrong artist. So now I have no cover and wrong artists.

I don't know what else I can try. I hope somebody has any suggestions.

In my opinion the mp3s are tagged correctly. I mainly use foobar on windows to tag them.
They do not contain a lot of data. mainly just artist, album, track, track number and the cover.

This is extremely frustrating

·
Registered
662 Posts
I have an ongoing similar thread below http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/2014-2017-mazda-3-skyactiv-audio-electronics/218498-how-recognise-artist-usb-playback.html

Like you I've carefully checked all MP3 tags and upgraded to Gracenote v8. The tracks and artists are OK but the album art is missing from many tracks despite being embedded in each MP3 track. My next step will be to disable Gracenote. The problem with this though is that I understand Gracenote is needed for USB music selection via voice control - is that correct?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This sounds like something the dealer should be handling. They did the update, it does not work, let them fix it.
I wouldn't know what he could do to fix it. I have done a soft reset to Mazda Connect and also tryed disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes. Since there is no newer update for the software I don't think he could fix it.
@sc489,
AFAIK it does the voice control and some other things that I never used. But as I said I don't understand why I do not get any cover when I had gracenote disabled.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have an ongoing similar thread below http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/2014-2017-mazda-3-skyactiv-audio-electronics/218498-how-recognise-artist-usb-playback.html

Like you I've carefully checked all MP3 tags and upgraded to Gracenote v8. The tracks and artists are OK but the album art is missing from many tracks despite being embedded in each MP3 track. My next step will be to disable Gracenote. The problem with this though is that I understand Gracenote is needed for USB music selection via voice control - is that correct?
In my experience the voice recognition is poor anyway. It's no great loss.

·
Super Moderator
5,244 Posts
I wouldn't know what he could do to fix it. I have done a soft reset to Mazda Connect and also tryed disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes. Since there is no newer update for the software I don't think he could fix it.
The whole point here being it worked before, the dealer did what they did and now it does not work. Tell them they need to figure it out. It should not be up to you to fix their screw ups. They have an entire corporate network and a building full of software engineers for support. I'm pretty sure they can figure this out.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Have you tried putting the image in the folder with tracks, naming it exactly "folder.jpg" and removing the embedded covers in the files?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Have you tried putting the image in the folder with tracks, naming it exactly "folder.jpg" and removing the embedded covers in the files?
Is removing embedded covers makes this so-called "entertainment system" behave any better?

I've been dealing with this BS for awhile now. With Gracenote 7, many (about 20%) of the songs would show a generic band, or sometimes genre thumbnail. What's worse, sometimes it'd show the correct one on first play only to revert to generic for the next songs on the album, or subsequent plays of the same one.

I've tried only using folder.jpg. I've tried not having folder.jpg at all. I've written a Python script, which removes *all* embedded album art, takes folder.jpg, resizes it to 300x300 and embeds this. Nothing helped.

So, next step was an attempt to disable Gracenote (thankfully, it could be done, since 8 was available) -- but after disabling Gracenote most tracks (maybe all, haven't had time to check yet) don't show album art at all.

So, the question is, what does this moronic system expects from the embedded tags for things to work? Or must it always use the infernal Gracenote?

·
Registered
434 Posts
I'm not sure why your covers don't work.

Also I'm not sure whether all my covers work, as I have ~3500 songs on USB, but it definitely does work for me. And I don't have any art embedded, only as a folder.jpg. And my Gracenote is killed due to annoying bug with changed Artist Name.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm not sure why your covers don't work.

Also I'm not sure whether all my covers work, as I have ~3500 songs on USB, but it definitely does work for me. And I don't have any art embedded, only as a folder.jpg. And my Gracenote is killed due to annoying bug with changed Artist Name.
Thanks -- I haven't tried removing the embedded art after killing Gracenote, so there's hope yet. I will try that tonight. Do you have your folder.jpg sized to a certain resolution?

·
Registered
662 Posts
Thanks -- I haven't tried removing the embedded art after killing Gracenote, so there's hope yet. I will try that tonight. Do you have your folder.jpg sized to a certain resolution?
I'm interested in what you discover as I'm having similar problems as I posted above.

I've been using a USB 3.0 flash drive(but USB 2.0 backwards compatible). I noticed the following statement in my user manual:

This unit does not support a USB 3.0 device. In addition, other devices may not be supported depending on the model or OS version. USB devices formatted to FAT32 are supported (USB devices formatted to other formats such as NTFS are not supported).

I wonder if using a USB 2.0 flash drive would make any difference?

·
Registered
10 Posts
If wonder if using a USB 2.0 flash drive would make any difference?
I wouldn't think so, though since one of the earlier versions of MZD Connect listed files in file system, rather than alphabetical order, wouldn't rule anything out either

·
Registered
662 Posts
I have used https://www.dbpoweramp.com/ to edit ID3 tags and all the covers show fine on my 2015 M3. I use a Kingston USB 3.0 thumb drive without issues
Thanks. I've been using various free MP3 utilities to check the metadata e.g. MP3Diags, TagScanner, MP3Test, MP3Tag . I'm sure the metadata is correct. All tracks have embedded album art but of differing resolution. Does the Mazda software require album art having a minimum resolution or below a maximum resolution? More generally, is there a specification of how music files should be structured and what metadata they should contain to be read correctly?

·
Registered
434 Posts
No, I don't. I have various resolutions.

You can do simple tests by taking a small USB with few folders and same song in each of them (without embedded art). You can go as far as removing all tags from the file, to be sure.
Then create folder.jpg with various resolutions and put each of them in separate folder with mp3, and then open them in car and see for yourself if it's related to resolution somehow.

Oh, and in case you're gonna do such test - better rename the mp3 to be able to differ them one from another in the car's infotainment.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well, I think even when Gracenote update failure had failed, it isn't really disabled. Took a quick video of what it's doing now: https://youtu.be/XICqKRd31sU

Basically, it'll show the embedded (or folder.jpg?) image until Gracenote had loaded. Once it is, it'll either display Gracenote image, if available (including a generic one), or nothing.

This is with 59.0.502 NA, btw.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't want to move away from embedded cover art.

For 3 days I was now trying everything I could come up with. The issue is still here but it is even more annoying.

* I have again killed Gracenote by interupting the update.
* I have some albums bought through Google Play Music or Bandcamp. If I download the MP3s from them and put them on a USB stick every single album shows correctly!
* If I change the cover art of the mp3s from Google/Bandcamp the cover art will not be shown anymore!
* Every other CD I have I rip with foobar2000 using lame3.100 V0. I exclusevly use id3v2.3.
* If I add cover art using foobars tag editor the car doesn't show it. I thought maybe foobar does something odd when editing tags...
* I have tryed Mp3Tag v2.86. The added cover art also does not show.
* I have tryed multiple USB sticks. USB2.0 and USB3.0. It doesn't change anything.

I don't know what else to do. I can't imagine that foobar and mp3tag have the same unfixed bug that does something wrong with covers.

Most of my collection is on CD. I have no idea what else to try now. And I also have no idea what could be different betwenn the mp3s from Google/Bandcamp and the ones I rip myself. Both are id3v2.3 and both use lame.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I don't want to move away from embedded cover art.

For 3 days I was now trying everything I could come up with. The issue is still here but it is even more annoying.

* I have again killed Gracenote by interupting the update.
* I have some albums bought through Google Play Music or Bandcamp. If I download the MP3s from them and put them on a USB stick every single album shows correctly!
* If I change the cover art of the mp3s from Google/Bandcamp the cover art will not be shown anymore!
* Every other CD I have I rip with foobar2000 using lame3.100 V0. I exclusevly use id3v2.3.
* If I add cover art using foobars tag editor the car doesn't show it. I thought maybe foobar does something odd when editing tags...
* I have tryed Mp3Tag v2.86. The added cover art also does not show.
* I have tryed multiple USB sticks. USB2.0 and USB3.0. It doesn't change anything.

I don't know what else to do. I can't imagine that foobar and mp3tag have the same unfixed bug that does something wrong with covers.

Most of my collection is on CD. I have no idea what else to try now. And I also have no idea what could be different betwenn the mp3s from Google/Bandcamp and the ones I rip myself. Both are id3v2.3 and both use lame.
I know nothing about Foobar but I'm having similar problems and think MZD-Connect / Gracenote must be FUBAR!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I know nothing about Foobar but I'm having similar problems and think MZD-Connect / Gracenote must be FUBAR!
When I bought the car I was pretty happy with Connect. The GPS navigation was nice. The MP3 player was good. OK, I admit... as many others it sometimes couldn't remember where it last was after staring and it took a while until the "artist" or "album" selection was available.

But not being able to display simple album art. Overriding my cleanly tagged mp3s with some bullshit that isn't even correct is just a annoying.

SergSlim, if you have disabled gracenote and all your covers are displayed correclty, could you please tell me your firmware version? I'm tired of this and will go to my dealer tomorrow either ask him to install the latest (if a later version is available) or downgrade my firmware if that is possible.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think I've solved the puzzle. There's definitely some caching going on. Here's the process that lead to that conclusion:

My folder structure on that USB drive is
/Genre/Artist/Album/01-file.mp3

None of the files showed artwork after disabling Gracenote.

While experimenting, I've noticed that if I take any of the files in that structure, and move those anywhere else on the drive, without additional changes, artwork shows. So, simply renaming the root folders, so the structure is now
/00-Genre/Artist/Album/01-file.mp3
shows the artwork everywhere, including tracks and albums where Gracenote previously used generic images.

P.S. This is after I ran a script, which clears the artwork from all files, and then reapplies a 250x250 front cover. Just in case that matters, too.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts