2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although it wasn't a surprise from reading various posts in this forum, I found out today how puny wet traction is (and probably non-existent snow traction) on stock tires.

The road was slightly wet from over-night rain.. I was doing about 25 - 30 mph on a slow curve when I felt the front wheels sliding out like an under steer and then the rear end began sliding out too, like drifting without tire smoke :eek:hmy 1: Tried the same on various curvy situation and the same result... The front wiggles first and then the rear follows.

There was no on-coming traffic nor any car following me... still a bit scary when the car slides over the center line and heads for the ditch before traction is gained back...On a dry day, I can take the same curve doing 50 mph and only hear the tires squeaking a bit without losing traction.

Only 5K miles on the stock tires. I'll at least get it to 20K before I change them out with maybe Conti DWS or other recommended all season tires with decent wet/snow traction.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Are you sure that your alignment is ok? You may not be getting the tire's full footprint width. Also, how much air are in your tires?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alignment's good - free check at Tire Barn. 36 psi on all 4 tires - checked in the morning. Drove the same road this afternoon when the sun was out and very dry. No issues going around the curve at 50 mph.

I'll just be careful when the road is wet.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
EL400s are craptacular. Took them off my car within 50 miles and sold them in like new condition. There are always people on craigslist looking for like new "OE" tires.

·
Aspiring Mad Scientist
1,716 Posts
Could be a bad batch as well. Either way, I had ok performance out of then but just hydroplaned a lot in the rain.

·
Registered
405 Posts
My new Mazda 3 Sport Sedan has 60 miles on it and the ride is awful. I'm praying it's because of these Bridgestone tires.

I just spoke with Discount Tire-they will give me $50-60 per tire as a trade in towards new tires! I had no idea this could be done but it's worth a shot because the ride is so bad I'm almost ready to ditch the car for something else.
They recommended Yokohama YK580, which also have a rebate on them. I had these tires on the Cobalt I traded in and I found they are less affected by grooves in the freeway here in San Diego than my previous Michelins.
I think I am going to go for it. I don't want to suffer with these tires until they go bad.

I never thought a new car would ride worse than my '06 Cobalt. I knew the Mazda was tight suspension wise but man, not enjoying going over the poor roads and grooved freeways here.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
You'll get more money putting them on craigslist, especially in like new condition.

My new Mazda 3 Sport Sedan has 60 miles on it and the ride is awful. I'm praying it's because of these Bridgestone tires.

I just spoke with Discount Tire-they will give me $50-60 per tire as a trade in towards new tires! I had no idea this could be done but it's worth a shot because the ride is so bad I'm almost ready to ditch the car for something else.
They recommended Yokohama YK580, which also have a rebate on them. I had these tires on the Cobalt I traded in and I found they are less affected by grooves in the freeway here in San Diego than my previous Michelins.
I think I am going to go for it. I don't want to suffer with these tires until they go bad.

I never thought a new car would ride worse than my '06 Cobalt. I knew the Mazda was tight suspension wise but man, not enjoying going over the poor roads and grooved freeways here.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Just had the YK580's installed. Haven't driven too much since but the car is taking bumps better. The big test will be tonight and tomorrow when I drive the car to Encinitas and back-the worst stretches of the freeway in San Diego.
Discount gave me $200 for the Bridgestones plus I got a $100 rebate. End up costing $360 which includes the road hazard replacement
One thing I noticed is that the tires, or at least one or two of them don't seem to be mounted completely flush with the wheel. Part of the tire seems to not be flush with the wheel and I see what appears to be a balancing weight visible clipped onto the edge of the steel wheel. That might be what's causing this appearance but I will ask Discount tire about it.
One of the tires is also 2psi lower than the other 3. Seems to happen to me everytime. Come on guys, match the suckers up!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Nope, car still tramlines on the freeway grooves. May just get my old tires back since it wasn't the answer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts