2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was at an autoX on sunday and had a blast. One of the cars (brand new GTI) had paint rubbed off on the front bumper and when I asked he said it was probably from hitting cones. Anyone ever had paint damage from cone killing? I'm thinking of plasti-dipping my bumper to protect it if needed. Think plasti dip would keep the paint safe? I'm dont want my paint messed up.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
College Zoom-Zoom
3,248 Posts
I have two scuffs from hitting cones. Just tape of some of the areas that are pron to hitting cones with painters tape and you willbe fine. Also make sure your car is clean before going next time because if you do hit a cone it won't leave as much damage.

·
MAAAAAD
2,140 Posts
Plasti dip is good but I think at that much of an impact, it might peel off. I'd just use some painters tape or something.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If I plasti dip I should be able to do a touch up.
Painters tape will probably be the answer. Not sure how much I would want to dip the bumper.
Thanks for the info.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
570 Posts
Bumping an old thread here.

The one cone I hit on my first autocross (not driving aggressive enough!) left a nasty scuff on my right front door:

I took a clay bar to it and it was all gone in a minute or two. Probably helps that I have a recent coat of wax on the car and washed it the just before the session. Next time, I'll do a quick spray wax on the car to keep it slick to avoid scuffs as much as possible.

·
Registered
157 Posts
A clean car with a good coat of wax works. The less grit or dirt on the car, the less possibility of scratching the finish. In many cases, I've been able to literally grab one end of the cone scuff and peel most of it off the car. Clay bar works great also. And, of course, painters tape works too, if you want to take them time to do it before events.

·
Registered
570 Posts
There was a GTR and a few corvettes there with tons of painters tape all over them. Not sure it's worth the trouble on mine with all the rock chips from daily highway use, though.

·
College Zoom-Zoom
3,248 Posts
There was a GTR and a few corvettes there with tons of painters tape all over them. Not sure it's worth the trouble on mine with all the rock chips from daily highway use, though.
See picture for places I would recommend taping if you want to. Unless you plan on driving straight into cones, you really only need the wheel arches since they are usually the closest parts of the car to the cones if you run the course correctly.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
I think plastidip will hold up fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts