2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

Concerning Driver Side Inner CV Joint Play

14K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Vinnycic123 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello, time again to help reduce my ignorance =) [see bellow for actual question - some background here]

Car: 2010 Mazda 3 NA GT 5-door 52,000 miles.

So the saga continues, and after replacing my driver-side/transmission mount the following problems were solved:

1. Creaking/moaning when accelerating from stop in 1&2 gear.
2. Occasional griding and difficulty engaging 2nd gear.
3. Intense front-end vibration at speed.
4. Wandering steering at speed.
5. Occasional steering tightness even at speed (rare).

The dealer did NOT agree to replace this under warranty so I did the job myself and the results are obvious and very telling about the level of competence I am dealing with (i.e. LOW). We noticed the factory mount was 'sunken' and the transmission was actually tipped slightly to one side, possibly causing the damage to the passenger side half-shaft which needed to be replaced to solve a thumping and vibration (solved problem, again dealer refused to cover under warranty).

Now, the last problem I have is a vibration in the steering wheel that is only at speed and only when turning the steering wheel through the 'center' (dead zone?). You can feel it at lower speeds but less of a vibration more of a slight rotational 'friction'. (all tires new and road force balanced - rims are fine).

Q. After the engine mount replacement we noticed the driver-side INNER CV joint is able to move laterally (up/down/left/right) with a noticeable noise when doing so - sounds as if there is significant play. Is this expected and if so do we have any idea of the tolerances? The dealer again refused to answer any questions and said I must bring the car in for a $60 appointment. Edit: the area in question is right at the transmission - the large 'cup' at the end of the axle.

I am trying to establish a history of problems along with the factory/workshop manual specifications before I present my case to Mazda USA and eventually will elevate to legal proceedings, so any help at this point would be hugely appreciated.

Just to recap the work I have had done so far, nothing has been covered under warranty:

* New passenger side half-shaft due to shaft/bearing damage (unknown cause).
* Front sub-frame bushings replaced from excessive wear.
* Driver-side/Transmission mount replaced due to partial failure/sunken #4 mount with creaking/groaning/grinding in transmission area. (and there was NO lock-tight on the nut!).
* All tires replaced TWICE at recommendation of dealership to solve problems but that never made a difference.

Total out of pocket costs so far close to $4000. :argh 1:

Thanks!

Matt :tongue:

See less See more
#4 ·
loud clicking noise!

So i just bought a 2012 MS3, it only has 300 miles and when i'm rolling backwards out of gear and i turn it to the left it makes a loud thud noise (sounds like its coming from the passenger side). this noise only happens when im in reverse or rolling backwards (my driveway is on a hill) and if i turn or apply the brakes... i was told that it could be my CV joint but i wanted to check on the forums and ask around before i take it in the dealership and look like a retard. anyone else have or had this problem and if so how did yall fix it? Oh and im new to the forums whats everyone!

#5 ·
Hello, time again to help reduce my ignorance =) [see bellow for actual question - some background here]

Car: 2010 Mazda 3 NA GT 5-door 52,000 miles.

So the saga continues, and after replacing my driver-side/transmission mount the following problems were solved:

1. Creaking/moaning when accelerating from stop in 1&2 gear.
2. Occasional griding and difficulty engaging 2nd gear.
3. Intense front-end vibration at speed.
4. Wandering steering at speed.
5. Occasional steering tightness even at speed (rare).

The dealer did NOT agree to replace this under warranty so I did the job myself and the results are obvious and very telling about the level of competence I am dealing with (i.e. LOW). We noticed the factory mount was 'sunken' and the transmission was actually tipped slightly to one side, possibly causing the damage to the passenger side half-shaft which needed to be replaced to solve a thumping and vibration (solved problem, again dealer refused to cover under warranty).

Now, the last problem I have is a vibration in the steering wheel that is only at speed and only when turning the steering wheel through the 'center' (dead zone?). You can feel it at lower speeds but less of a vibration more of a slight rotational 'friction'. (all tires new and road force balanced - rims are fine).

Q. After the engine mount replacement we noticed the driver-side INNER CV joint is able to move laterally (up/down/left/right) with a noticeable noise when doing so - sounds as if there is significant play. Is this expected and if so do we have any idea of the tolerances? The dealer again refused to answer any questions and said I must bring the car in for a $60 appointment. Edit: the area in question is right at the transmission - the large 'cup' at the end of the axle.

I am trying to establish a history of problems along with the factory/workshop manual specifications before I present my case to Mazda USA and eventually will elevate to legal proceedings, so any help at this point would be hugely appreciated.

Just to recap the work I have had done so far, nothing has been covered under warranty:

• New passenger side half-shaft due to shaft/bearing damage (unknown cause).
  • Front sub-frame bushings replaced from excessive wear.
  • Driver-side/Transmission mount replaced due to partial failure/sunken #4 mount with creaking/groaning/grinding in transmission area. (and there was NO lock-tight on the nut!).
  • All tires replaced TWICE at recommendation of dealership to solve problems but that never made a difference.
loud clicking noise!

So i just bought a 2012 MS3, it only has 300 miles and when i'm rolling backwards out of gear and i turn it to the left it makes a loud thud noise (sounds like its coming from the passenger side). this noise only happens when im in reverse or rolling backwards (my driveway is on a hill) and if i turn or apply the brakes... i was told that it could be my CV joint but i wanted to check on the forums and ask around before i take it in the dealership and look like a retard. anyone else have or had this problem and if so how did yall fix it? Oh and im new to the forums whats everyone!
you ever figure out if the trans was going bad
Total out of pocket costs so far close to $4000. :argh 1:

Thanks!

Matt 👅

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.