2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does compression ratio affect exhaust note? I have seen a few older Mazda 3 with different cat backs that sound kind of ricey, but seems that the newer ones - specifically the Skyactiv - seem to sound deeper and less crackly... is this due to the higher compression ratio of our Skyactiv engines? I think Mazda said it was like 14:1 which is pretty high... Getting ready to decide on some kind of exhaust work but really if it sounds like a Civic I may cry and trade the car in :) I want that nice, deep Subaru rumble...

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Well its not gonna sound like a Subaru because it's an inline 4 not a boxer 4 but my custom magnaflow setup is pretty deep down low and wails when you get into it but it sure is loud

·
College Zoom-Zoom
3,248 Posts
Well its not gonna sound like a Subaru because it's an inline 4 not a boxer 4 but my custom magnaflow setup is pretty deep down low and wails when you get into it but it sure is loud
You get the boxer sound from the exhaust manifold having unequal lengths on two cylinders, not necessarily the boxer engine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
As will an upgraded cam but there's a lot of other things to consider when installing a new camshaft ie. Valve train vacuum. But the right cam matched to the right setup can make engine come alive

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Swapped a Z06 stock camshaft (2001/2 Vette) to my 2001 Camaro SS... barely made a difference, but then again the lift was only a minimal one :) Did it just for kicks... no longer have the car anyway.

·
Silver Surfer
2,904 Posts
Get an exhaust shop to make you a header with unequal lengths. Use a wider diameter. And bolt it up to your stock exhaust and see how you like it. Then tell everybody or start selling the headers. Lol

·
Registered
752 Posts
If you can get someone to start making an affordable header for the 2.0 sky I will literally kiss your ass. Im not joking..

·
Registered
73 Posts
+1 to what everyone else stated..
kiss ass plus (insert X amount of dollars here)

would pay a grand for a nice header..

·
Registered
504 Posts
+1 to what everyone else stated..
kiss ass plus (insert X amount of dollars here)

would pay a grand for a nice header..
Its funny you say that; we asked once before if there was a need for a we designed tube header, and mid pipe set up. The guys that build our long tube headers for the MX5 ( both the 2.0 and 2.5 version), PPE and we were willing to offer a set up for both the early skyactiv, and a proper set up for the 2.5, but everyone balked at the 1000.00 price tag

So I will ask again;

If we offered a complete, engineered,system for the early skyactiv and the second gen 2.5, is there an interest?

The systems are complete with steel mandrel bent, ceramic coated header, 321 stainless mid pipe, resonator, and a 200 count, metalic cat in the Mid. All hardware, and hangers.

Let me know

·
Registered
73 Posts
i only recently got my 2012 sky but yes im extremely interested in this. is a 4 - 2 - 1 possible with a a 13:1 CR with this modification?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts