2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
These are 100% Plug and play, I'm not advertising. I asked questions, examined the images and took a chance.
Remember if you are in the market for something like this and are in USA [not sure if all halogen plugs are the same worldwide] make sure you get ones with the reflector in the headlight, that is the easiest way to tell / it's required. Most aftermarkets are meant as 'replacements' and have the GT trim plug and no reflector.
When switching you will need to move the bumper clip holder and plug holder (both removable with needle nose/flathead) to the new lights.

Link: Check images for the plug type, i-Level trim halogens not as a bi-xenon replacement.
[Plus LED Halo] 2014 2015 2016 Mazda 3 Black Projector Replacement Headlights | eBay

The images are with the headlights not adjusted, I did drive with them and they are at least AS GOOD as stock halogens. I plan to go with a xenon bulb in the future. These function as Bi-Halogen.
Phone camera images make the light seem narrower/ crappy in general (also remember they are still not adjusted in pics) but I still have the same field of view while driving. The LED Halo's are pretty decently bright and highly visible / on par with I suppose 'legit' headlamps even during the day.

Fitment seems great/ within an acceptable margin of error with no excessive gaps or oddly placed mounting holes.

Attachments

·
Registered
150 Posts
It Is not plug and play. U need to mod the plug which cost around 50-100 for the labor. It looks great for the looking. But ftermarket headlight quality really bad. I got one one year ago. And now the headlight supporter broken. Lol

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It Is not plug and play. U need to mod the plug which cost around 50-100 for the labor. It looks great for the looking. But ftermarket headlight quality really bad. I got one one year ago. And now the headlight supporter broken. Lol

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Actually no, all of the pictures in my forum post are mine. It was plug and play, just swap the lamps and clips for the bumper/wiring.

·
Registered
20 Posts
This set you got is plug and play. The orange plug is the original Mazda one. I bought a set that needed an auto electrician to make a custom plug.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
This set you got is plug and play. The orange plug is the original Mazda one. I bought a set that needed an auto electrician to make a custom plug.
The new one was orange, the one on the vehicle was orange as well, don't know why they changed the color but no modifications had to be made took 10 mins to switch out both headlights (after the 15 for the bumper)

·
Registered
20 Posts
The set I got was likely a replacement for the top of the line model with the swivelling lights as the connector was grey and had extra pins.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The set I got was likely a replacement for the top of the line model with the swivelling lights as the connector was grey and had extra pins.
Until recently that is all there has been, these got my interest because they had a clear image of the plug that matched the oem halogen. That and having the required orange reflector. There are a few other sellers in Ebay explicitly stating that they are for halogen models and will not fit on xenon stock models. I made sure to ask questions and if they didn't look right when I got them I would have sent them back.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm looking at buying the same headlights. Is it possible to remove the halogens, and use a HID xenon kit. Thanks for the info.
Yes they can be removed, they are held in with the spring and plate. H7 Bulb/connector. I will ask around before I go ahead with mine, best to do it before you get them in the car as the headlights need to come out again to do so due to the holding mechanism.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Until recently that is all there has been, these got my interest because they had a clear image of the plug that matched the oem halogen. That and having the required orange reflector. There are a few other sellers in Ebay explicitly stating that they are for halogen models and will not fit on xenon stock models. I made sure to ask questions and if they didn't look right when I got them I would have sent them back.
Have you looked into the LED tail lights as well? I went and physically bought them overseas and at the time they didn't have the tail lights for the hatch as China is 90% sedans.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have you looked into the LED tail lights as well? I went and physically bought them overseas and at the time they didn't have the tail lights for the hatch as China is 90% sedans.
I have and plan to in the future, it's not as imperative and especially since I am going to have the headlights retrofitted with proper xenon projectors. Could always get Grade A parts from wrecked 3's, only thing we have to do is switch wiring harness or wire the trunk lights so the LED's work I've seen this done by tapping the license plate lights. Quarter panel lights are plug and play between trim levels.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have and plan to in the future, it's not as imperative and especially since I am going to have the headlights retrofitted with proper xenon projectors. Could always get Grade A parts from wrecked 3's, only thing we have to do is switch wiring harness or wire the trunk lights so the LED's work I've seen this done by tapping the license plate lights. Quarter panel lights are plug and play between trim levels.
I think the tail lights are not daytime lights. I wonder if they are direct plug and play

·
Registered
143 Posts
You mentioned plug-and-play. What all is involved in getting the old light assembly out and getting the new light assembly in? And how long does each side take to do the complete replacement? How would you compare the fitment and build quality to OEM?

Also, It looks like there is no highbeam? Or the highbeam is not next to the projector like OEM non-led, but is inside the projector so that the projector does both low and high?

I don't know why Mazda didn't just include those LED eagle-eye DRL look on EVERY Mazda3, because in my opinion this kind of "flash" on new cars is EXCELLENT advertising! We all see these new cars on the road with their awesome LED DRL patterns that make them stand out in the crowd, and we look more closely, thinking "ooooh nice! which brand is that!?" I firmly believe it would sell more cars.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You mentioned plug-and-play. What all is involved in getting the old light assembly out and getting the new light assembly in? And how long does each side take to do the complete replacement? How would you compare the fitment and build quality to OEM?

Also, It looks like there is no highbeam? Or the highbeam is not next to the projector like OEM non-led, but is inside the projector so that the projector does both low and high?

I don't know why Mazda didn't just include those LED eagle-eye DRL look on EVERY Mazda3, because in my opinion this kind of "flash" on new cars is EXCELLENT advertising! We all see these new cars on the road with their awesome LED DRL patterns that make them stand out in the crowd, and we look more closely, thinking "ooooh nice! which brand is that!?" I firmly believe it would sell more cars.
Build quality and fitment seems to be within 10% of perfect, being no major gaps, overly offset holes, overly recessed or over extended and appear to fit well enough that it's not noticeable.

It takes me about 10-20 minutes to get the bumper off and about 5-10 per headlight. Results may vary.

The headlight is Bi-Halogen stock meaning that there is a single light with a shutter in the projector that moves up to let more light out when brights are activated. Output is at least on par with stock halogen and has a pretty good cutoff [ I'm no headlight expert but its detailed/sharp and stepped]. Can't say anything about longevity yet.

First the bumper:
2014 Mazda 3 Bumper Removal

Second:

Disconnect the headlight (under)

There are 3 mounting points on the headlight, only one is accessible under the hood. [Borrowed images]

First one is in front, consists of the clip and the bolt. Below that is the receiver for the front bumper clip which will be need to be switched over to the new headlight so the bumper will latch (flathead, gently pry)

Second image is on the outer side where the bumper and quarter panel meet, the highest bolt needs to be removed.

Third is the one under the hood, the screw fastener and bolt need to be removed.

You will also need to transfer the wiring harness clip (flathead to lift the tab) so the wiring stays put.

Slide the headlights back in and hook them up, remember to test before buttoning everything up.

Attachments

·
Registered
179 Posts
does this still use the h11 bulb? and the bright connector doesnt go anywhere then?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
does this still use the h11 bulb? and the bright connector doesnt go anywhere then?
It plugs straight up to the stock connector, it used a h7 lamp and is 'bi-halogen'. Surprisingly as good as stock although from Taiwan. Cant say much for longevity since I'll be switching to xenon lamps as a retrofit though.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Do you know what the "brand" is for these specific lights? The listing says that these are DOT compliant, and I'm aware of only a few aftermarket companies that make replacement headlights (I've had good experience in the past with aftermarket lights ONLY if they come with a DOT compliance card).

Since you mentioned Taiwan, are these from Depo?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Do you know what the "brand" is for these specific lights? The listing says that these are DOT compliant, and I'm aware of only a few aftermarket companies that make replacement headlights (I've had good experience in the past with aftermarket lights ONLY if they come with a DOT compliance card).

Since you mentioned Taiwan, are these from Depo?

These are 'eagle eyes' / voodoo according to the seller description.

Like I said they fit within an acceptable tolerance but I cannot yet say anything about longevity of the lamps although they are even with stock halogens. I am getting them retrofitted with bi-xenon so I expect those to last at least longer.
I will update when I get this done.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts