2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the last year I've been working on building up a stereo system in my 2013 Mazdaspeed 3 to make it a world class sound quality audio system. I'll add pics to this thread of the process leading up to where it's at.

To start, you have to have a good foundation, so proper wiring is needed. Correct sizes for the power to be supplied and I get a little OCD about keeping it neat so I use techflex and heatshrink.

The car:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
New tweeters. Sail panels were constructed to house Hybrid Audio Technologies L1pro tweeters

A pillars were modified to fit HAT L3pro dome midranges. They have a machined aluminum housing. The pillars are wrapped in stitched alcantara suede.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For midbass duties, 8" Hybrid Audio L8v2's were installed in the kick panel area. This required some modification, relocation of some harnesses and a lot of custom fabrication.

Custom molded enclosures

·
The New CWP 3
496 Posts
World class indeed!! Amazing setup you've got going on here!! I appreciate how clean everything is! Wouldn't feel right with stuff everywhere... Two thumbs up from me!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Very nice Captain!

Reactions: Captainobvious

·
Registered
752 Posts
Very Very well done. Thank god there are others that want more than an LOC and a pair of subs thrown in the back. I would be very interested to see a little more on how you did those kick panels.

Reactions: Captainobvious

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Dude....fuck yeah:punk:

Care to explain the construction of the sub enclosure? Not that I'll get around to it anytime soon but if I ever put a system in my car that's where I want the sub but I'm terrible at fabbing lol

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Very Very well done. Thank god there are others that want more than an LOC and a pair of subs thrown in the back. I would be very interested to see a little more on how you did those kick panels.
Thanks!

I'll post up more on them then for you soon ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dude....fuck yeah:punk:

Care to explain the construction of the sub enclosure? Not that I'll get around to it anytime soon but if I ever put a system in my car that's where I want the sub but I'm terrible at fabbing lol
The enclosure is first made by masking off the spare tire well area liberally with blue or green painters tape. Then we put down sheets of aluminum foil for extra protection and to make it easier to pull the mold out. After that, you use fiberglass resin to soak fiberglass mat pieces and lay them in building up layers until you have the desired thickness and strength. I believe we had up to 12 layer of 1.5ounce fiberglass matt for this enclosure. It's very very solid. After that, the mold was pulled from the trunk and trimmed. Next, a top wood baffle was cut out and routed for the shape of the subwoofer. That wood top was bonded/sealed to the fiberglass bottom with a ton of thick black silicone. The edges were then flush trimmed. I believe we also recessed a portion in the bottom to use the spare tire bolt as a mounting point for the enclosure.

After that it's just a matter of building up everything else around it to trim out how you want to amplifiers and such to be mounted and displayed.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts