2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys - I remember when I had a Jeep, we had the "jeep wave" and everyone waved as they passed by if you were driving one and it had pretty good results.

I'm wondering if any of you do something similar?

I was bored on my way back home today and flicked my HB's at 4 Mazda3's including a Speed3, and I got 2 flicks back! I'm not sure if they were saying hi back, thought I was crazy, or thanking me for letting them know that a cop w/ a radar gun was ahead...

·
Registered
145 Posts
Light flick is usually cop. Lol people give me that a lot. I tend to Rev at other Mazda drivers. Usually resulting in both cars launching out of the red like it's a actual race. Sometimes it is. I always see if I can find the guys with nice rides later

·
Registered
412 Posts
I'm consistent in my approach. I generally don't communicate except in the following instances.

1) With lights off, brief flash of high beams if there is a speed trap within 1km, only when traffic conditions permit (i.e I dont want the person driving in front of me to think I'm flashing-to-pass).

2) At night with lights on, brief flash with the front foglamps within 1km.

3) Longer flash of full-beams to on-coming vehicle: "Dip your friggin full beams, you're blinding everyone!"

4) Rare. If you're very obviously holding up the overtaking lane on an interstate and driving at an unreasonable speed, I will do a periodic longer-flash of high beams to suggest you change right at the soonest opportunity. When there's a queue of 5 vehicles on one's rear end, perhaps its a sign.....:bash:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
4) Rare. If you're very obviously holding up the overtaking lane on an interstate and driving at an unreasonable speed, I will do a periodic longer-flash of high beams to suggest you change right at the soonest opportunity. When there's a queue of 5 vehicles on one's rear end, perhaps its a sign.....:bash:
This happens every ride home - we have a toll lane and when I pay my fee, I expect to go at least the speed limit. If you are in the lane going 50 in a 65, then I will flick my high beams every few minutes - people like this do NOT look in their mirrors unfortunately :/

·
Registered
752 Posts
I had a jeep as well and yep there is the jeep wave kinda like the motorcycle wave. the thing is those are more often than not enthusiast vehicles sadly the majority of mazda owners are people just buying a "car" transportation from point a to b. :(

·
Registered
145 Posts
I look for backed out emblems and visual mods to find enthusiasts

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I look for rice dudes with lowered cars, loud exhausts, dark windows who sit low (if you can see them) and avoid them at all costs.

Reactions: initial_deer

·
Registered
85 Posts
I look for rice dudes with lowered cars, loud exhausts, dark windows who sit low (if you can see them) and avoid them at all costs.
As if on cue! You sir, are a professional! :001_rolleyes:

I always notice all the other 3's out there but it's not often, it seems, they are noticing me. Sometimes I try to wave if it looks like they are a person who takes pride in their ride though (however they'd like to show that!).

·
Registered
412 Posts
This happens every ride home - we have a toll lane and when I pay my fee, I expect to go at least the speed limit. If you are in the lane going 50 in a 65, then I will flick my high beams every few minutes - people like this do NOT look in their mirrors unfortunately :/
I think mirrors are things that American drivers no longer use. Because a backup camera will solve everything.

There's just those times where I'm in the overtaking/left lane on a rural freeway and someone decides to pull out into the left lane without checking their mirrors. Had they done so, they may notice a vehicle barrelling down at 150km/h +. I am always glad for the brakes on my BMW, and hopefully Mazda is the same because the amount of frustration I feel slamming the brakes 150-110km/h in about 2 seconds.......makes me want to budgeon them with a hammer.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I had a jeep as well and yep there is the jeep wave kinda like the motorcycle wave. the thing is those are more often than not enthusiast vehicles sadly the majority of mazda owners are people just buying a "car" transportation from point a to b. :(
Yeah I've been bummed to discover this as well.

·
Registered
476 Posts
LoL. Yeap, I grew up in a whole different era. Rice burners, back then, were when you'd leave your 10 minute rice cooking for 30 minutes.:biggrin:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts