2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a brownish residue in snow under my car when leaving today. It was near the oil pan. Yellow residue around the exhaust flex pipe. Bright blue residue under the dead middle of the car. We own two Skyactiv cars. Both identical residue colors at the exact same locations.

What the heck is the blue residue? Windshield washer fluid leaking from the windshield or pipes following the under body? I'm thinking that it's some sort of grease that melts being close to the exhaust pipes.

Searching online I found this which I've heard before but very well detailed here about yellow residual. But nothing on blue. Could it be Blue engine coolant?

"Exhaust pipes are made of either iron or stainless steel. Heat shields are made of galvanized steel. Galvanized steel uses zinc as a rust inhibitor.

Zinc, when hot and in the presence of iron and a catalyst, creates yellow zinc oxide in the form of crystals. The connection is the catalyst - salt water - or compacted snow with road salt mixed in. If the snow is able to touch the exhaust heat shields and the exhaust pipes at the same time, the chemical reaction between the two dissimilar metals creates the bright yellow crystals."

·
Celest Zoom-Zoom
4,919 Posts
This is an amazing thread, I've always wondered what the yellow crap is. I knew it wasn't anything major as I could never find leak. I just always assumed it was cat piss or something under the car in the snow.
:laughing019: That's Hilarious :laughing019:

·
Broke Postbac.
536 Posts
I used to blame this cat-hoarding neighbor who let out his cats all the time. I figured it wasn't his cats when he moved out and the yellow stains would still appear in snow.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I used to blame this cat-hoarding neighbor who let out his cats all the time. I figured it wasn't his cats when he moved out and the yellow stains would still appear in snow.
Well, it is something close to the "Cat" that causes the yellow residual. ;) If it's your neighboor's car that's causing it in your parking lot then you have bigger problems. :p

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
Blue is probably windshield washer fluid not coolant as ours is green. Bad sign also if your leaking coolant lol

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Blue is probably windshield washer fluid not coolant as ours is green. Bad sign also if your leaking coolant lol
I figured if it was washer fluid that it must be following the car body somewhere and drip at the lowest point, being under the center glove box area under the car. At first I thought it was a feed line for the back window sprayer but the sedan doesn't have that option. Plus I imagine the fluid line goes in the body pillars or floor inside the car. I would have to look at this car's design.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I've also been informed blue is the color of our transmission fluid....

oh!?!? Isn't a tranmission sealed? There shouldn't be a reason for both our cars to be leaking trans fluid. Odd if that's what it is. Can you access that specific oil by a dipstick or reservoir on manual and auto trans?

·
On that college budget
5,278 Posts
I figured if it was washer fluid that it must be following the car body somewhere and drip at the lowest point, being under the center glove box area under the car. At first I thought it was a feed line for the back window sprayer but the sedan doesn't have that option. Plus I imagine the fluid line goes in the body pillars or floor inside the car. I would have to look at this car's design.
Washer fluid container is on that side of the car but i shouldn't be leaking lol.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Washer fluid container is on that side of the car but i shouldn't be leaking lol.
The blue drips were right dead center of the car front to back and driver to passenger. Basically under the center console between the seats.

·
Registered
100 Posts
now im curious where our cowl drains out. i have a hatch, so i'd be tracing the washer fluid tubing to the rear if i was seeing blue spots around the middle of my car. btw, brown snow is poo.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
now im curious where our cowl drains out. i have a hatch, so i'd be tracing the washer fluid tubing to the rear if i was seeing blue spots around the middle of my car. btw, brown snow is poo.
Ah, that might explain why I found this in my driveway. Damn, was supposed to photoshop some snow in there.

Yeah, but both our sedan and hatch does it. gonna call our Mazda dealership on this one me thinks. Hmmm....my washer fluid reserve is now empty, perhaps I should buy pink washer fluid to see if it's still shows up blue.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Ah, that might explain why I found this in my driveway. Damn, was supposed to photoshop some snow in there.

Yeah, but both our sedan and hatch does it. gonna call our Mazda dealership on this one me thinks. Hmmm....my washer fluid reserve is now empty, perhaps I should buy pink washer fluid to see if it's still shows up blue.
haha.. what did u do to winny?! that's a good idea. maybe add a stink bomb to it too, then sniff it to be 100% sure.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Well, brought my car to the dealer for the blue pee and at first I talked to the dealer on the phone who said that the transmission oil was blue after checking with a mechanic but when I arrived at the service desk, the guy working there said no, it's red. Ok, obvious lack of communication or lack of education. They said nothing seems to be leaking in that area which is good to hear. (I think it may be the windshield washer fluid, I bought some purple stuff to see if it is.) Odd thing is, I went for a drive at other dealers to check their cars for fun, talked to a dealer there and in conversation wondered what was blue on their cars and they said the rad coolant (Honda) After telling him I drove a Mazda3 sky he said"Yeah the trans fluid is blue, I used to work at the Mazda dealer" At this point I'm guessing the service desk guy needed training.

So, no definite answer on the leak but I'm changing to purple windshield washer fluid to verify that it is indeed the culprit. I'm guessing that the cowl has a drain and it follows the body to that point or the drain actually ends right under the car.

·
Mazda Service Manager
89 Posts
SkyActiv trans fluid is absolutely blue. It's supposed to be a "no-service" trans. I would go back to the dealer and say specifically that your trans is leaking (even if it's not) just so they'll give it more consideration.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts