2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

681 - 693 of 693 Posts

·
On that college budget
5,278 Posts
Called Fortune Auto and somehow they were able to dig up some old Mazdaspeed3 lower strut mounts to build me a kit; since I spec'd everything out myself as a custom build and paid them a fair price for it, they didn't complain lol. Should be seeing dyno's next week according to the tech I'm working with.
Can you just convince them to make Mazda3/Speed3 Coils....? I would so pick up a pair of 510s if they made them to replace these Ground Controls once they pop.

·
Aspiring Mad Scientist
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #682
Can you just convince them to make Mazda3/Speed3 Coils....? I would so pick up a pair of 510s if they made them to replace these Ground Controls once they pop.
I can't guarantee anything with Fortune Auto, but Feal Suspension is a solid builder of all sorts of custom shocks. You could literally buy some trashed BCs and have them rebuilt into Feal-spec race shocks for less than new BCs. Look into it.

·
Aspiring Mad Scientist
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #684
Have some interesting numbers today.

I've been slowly cutting weight out of the car, gunning to become competitive with time attack Civics. I can't guarantee these numbers are accurate, but it reads my weight correctly so I measured everything by holding it while standing on the scale, and subtracting my weight (same-scale reading).

Removed - Spare tire: 9.6kg = 21.12lbs
Removed - Mazdaspeed3 front caliper: 7.0kg each = 15.4lbs each
Removed - Rear seats (lower cushion + seatbelt parts): 8.6kg = 18.92lbs
Removed - Rear seats (upper backrest): 16.2kg = 35.64lbs
Removed - Rear door cards (whole thing): 5.5kg for both = 12.1lbs
Removed - Plastic trim from rear seat/trunk/hatch: 8.8kg = 19.36lbs
Removed - Front door cupholders, insulation, tweeters, and all four (F+R) door speakers: 2.5kg = 5.5lbs

The above numbers should be trustworthy enough, give it +/-10% in case my scale's off.

The following numbers are gleaned from NASIOC, part specifications, and the like. so they should be fairly correct.
Removed - Stock trunk jack + tools: 11lbs
Added - Stoptech BBK front caliper: 9.3lbs each (according to NASIOC)
Removed - Mazdaspeed3 front rotor: 21.8lbs each
Added - Stoptech BBK front rotor: 19lbs each (according to NASIOC)
Removed - Stock wheel/tire combo: 41lbs each
Added - 18x10.5 Enkei RS05RR + Yokohama AD08R 26535/18: 48.5lbs each

Lastly, I had to make the following estimates of stock part weights to ballpark where I am as far as weight reduction goes:

Removed - Fender liners (all): 10lbs
Removed - Undertray + radiator support cover: 10lbs
Added - Splitter w/ chassis mounts: 18lbs
Added - Big ass wing: 15lbs
Added - Varis Diffuser w/ chassis mounts: 8bs
Removed - Front sway bar endlinks: 1lb
Removed - Stock axle-back: 27.5lbs (searched M3R)
Added - Magnaflow 11132 axle-back: 10lbs

So far, if you tally up everything it's pretty good so far, I expect to have cut 109lbs from the car despite the big aero additions. I'm sure there are things I'm forgetting too such as the springs (Swift, smaller and lighter than stock), the lightweight LCAs about to go in, etc. but conservative estimate now means I won't be disappointed on the scales later haha. Besides, I haven't even tackled some of the low-hanging fruit in front of me (these will be done soon):

To be added - Odyssey PC680P battery: 15lbs
To be removed - Stock battery: 35lbs
To be removed - Front sway bar: 12lbs
To be removed - Rear crash bar: ~26lbs (judging on the front one)
To be removed - Stock headunit: ~10lbs

My seats and brackets are here as well, so factor those in:

To be removed - Stock seats: 41.5lbs each (searched MSF)
To be added - Sparco Fighter: 16lbs each
To be added - Wedge seat brackets: 13lbs each

After these changes I'm looking at a total loss of 202lbs - damn :D

Last step is a longer-term process that I've lined up but had no time to execute:
Replace glass windows -> Lexan: ~45lbs
Replace OEM hood -> custom carbon single-skin hood: ~30lbs
Remove rear half of headliner: ~5lbs
Scrape off all sound deadening: ~10lbs
Remove rear window mechanisms, door hardware: ~10lbs

Roughly 300lbs total weight reduction, without removing a single airbag (edit: I'm wrong, the seat airbags go out) or comfort item for the driver and front passenger. My wife requests the A/C stay in the car lol. I'd object, but I don't have a link to any good standalone A/C unit that can be used inside the cabin. Halp?

Going back to overall numbers, the corner balance sheet says that my stock car weighed 2950lbs; add 14lbs or so for the Mazdaspeed3/Mazda5 brake kit I'm running and my starting point is 2964lbs. That would mean right now I'm sitting at 2855lbs; by the end of the summer, 2762lbs; and once the big-ticket items are done, almost 2660lbs :D The turbo and assorted hardware will likely bump that up to 2700lbs, but for a car that weighs almost 600lbs less than a Speed3, even 260whp is going to be a riot!

Oh yes, and some goodies that I commissioned will be arriving soon. At this point I've committed to re-engineering the C1 platform (Mazda3, Speed3, Focus, C30, S40, etc.) front suspension. Tired of the Civics getting all the good stuff!

Tubular Front LCA with Roll Center Adjuster + Anti-Bump Steer Tierod Ends, brought to you by BMSPEC x 16W Fabworks.

·
Admiral Obvious
1,811 Posts
My wife requests the A/C stay in the car lol. I'd object, but I don't have a link to any good standalone A/C unit that can be used inside the cabin. Halp?
Option 1: Windows down, what I do.

Option 2: you buy her/ self a 2nd car

·
On that college budget
5,278 Posts
Judging by your weight stats, I should be around only 30-35 pound weight loss from stock once you add back in the 50 pound roll bar. Oh well. That seems about where I estimated to be at after some simple math after talking to Nuse and feeling the weight of things. I'll be getting my car weighed off in October or November and report pack difference from curb weight to actual weight and see if it is correct.

To be honest I might move back to stock brakes and move to a 16x9 with a 225 slick for Time Trials to try to lose more weight. These DTC-60 race pads lock my street tires up at 3/4th pedal force and stop me from the same distance using half the pedal I normally would once they are warm. I don't think I'll need speed3 brakes anymore after trying these pads. It's a nice temporary fix though for a street car without track pads.

I think I can get this sedan after a full diet down about ~150-200 pounds from curb weight which would be awesome. Plans are lightweight battery, removal of a/c, removal of most of the front interior, removal of rear glass and door panels glass with lexan, removal of front door glass, airbags, headliner, headunit, etc...

Will be nice to see the differences in weight of the hatch and sedan for a 2nd gen

I'm looking forward to the more suspensions options for these cars. I'm hoping I can say the same thing in a few years if the aftermarket support will stay or not...

·
Aspiring Mad Scientist
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #687
Progress slow as always, but I finally got a chance to try the LCA's out. It didn't work so well:

The root cause looks to be a design flaw coupled with a material weakness we weren't prepared for, so the moment I hit the brakes hard (about 1G deceleration) the arms bent back, stuffed the tires into the frame, and mangled the fenders and skirts a bit. I don't blame 16W at all for this btw, R&D is an iterative process and sometimes we don't win the first time. Compare and contrast the original arms (earlier post) to the resultant:

So back up on the stands it went:

And with the help of a friend I chopped off everything cosmetic in the back of the wheel well. Besides looking ugly, the fender cut lets out hot wheel well air AND gives me access to the tierods for easy DIY alignments. Two coats of Rustoleum rubberized black to help quiet down the sound of rock chips, stock LCA's back in, back on the ground it goes. I trimmed and shimmed the fenders some more to give the new shoes some breathing room: 18x11+18 TE37SL & 295/30/18 AD08R.

Strut clearance is a measly 2mm to the Fortune Auto front struts, this spec will not clear BC struts without a 3mm spacer. With the fenders cut and pushed out more, mid-corner bumps are now handled way more graciously than any of my previous setups. Handling balance is the next thing to shake down, now that the wheel setup is reverse-staggered (the rears are 18x10+20 with 265/35/18 ). Hopefully won't kill myself in the process :laugh2:

·
Registered
278 Posts
Te's look amazing. Love that pressed graphite. Just bought some advan rz' so. Now it's a waiting game since they are coming over from japan

·
Aspiring Mad Scientist
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #690
Current appearance after the Blox Evo show. The day was so busy, I ran off for most of the afternoon tackling errands and picking up materials in San Francisco, only to get a call at 6pm "Where the HELL are you Brian, you just won 2nd place!". Yeah, the dirty, rock-chipped canyon racer just won Runner-Up Best Wagon at a major show. >:)

The cooler news is that I've made a little headway on the engine stuff, got a contact who asked a contact within Mazda NA engineering to investigate for me if the new CX-9 (Sky-2.5T) crank, rods and pistons will fit in the Mazda3/6 (Sky-2.5) block. The 2.5NA blocks are a dime a dozen and can run on my OEM ECU, so if the beefed internals fit, I'm set! Drop-in frankenstein Sky-2.5 turbo engine (once we get the EFR 7163 connected). That means I can come back to attempting innovation on the exhaust front:

In order to save weight, keep weight low, reduce backpressure and play some aero tricks, currently my favorite idea is to go under the oil pan (like how some FMIC kits route the boost tube), split off behind the radiator and exit out the sides of the front bumper. 3" pipe coming off the turbo hotside splitting off into two 2.5" exits. The actual layout and novel idea I'll discuss when I manage to build it, not going to sell you guys on BS until I convince myself it's not lol. This is just a rough sketch for now of where I plan to let the gases out, how they're actually handled will be the work. :) (Ignore the fender vents, those are obsoleted now)

681 - 693 of 693 Posts