2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm venturing into performance mods for the first time ever on any of my cars. I want to add a cold air intake to my 2014 Mazda3 2.0L. I was looking at the K&N Typhoon Intake system but I wasn't happy with the whole "oil" idea on the filters. I read some stuff about it fouling up the MAF sensor and a mechanic I work with told me that the oil on the filter could wind up finding its way into the intake. I was also looking at an oil-free AEM solution linked here: https://www.aemintakes.com/search/product.aspx?prod=21-765C

I really want to stick within the $150-$250 range. I don't know much about mods on cars so if anyone can point me to good brands in addition to K&N or AEM I would appreciate it!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Cold air intakes are a tale told by an idiot,
full of sound and fury but signifying nothing.
Sure, but if he likes his car then what does it matter. With a heat shield you could still get better performance even if it's minuscule.

As far as cold air intakes go you can take a look at CorkSport's SRI.

·
Super Moderator
6,141 Posts
Sure, but if he likes his car then what does it matter. With a heat shield you could still get better performance even if it's minuscule.
Probably not. Mostly its a losing proposition unless you like more noise and less torque. The fact that the stock airbox is superior in most aspects has been demonstrated, most recently in a thread that documented intake air temps in varying condtion using a cold air intake vs OEM. Just search it out and start reading.
Point is there are far better things to spend $250 bucks on, especially if someone is on a budget or has otherwise limited funding for such things. In fact, the best bang-for-the-buck improvement is also the biggest improvement you can do, I.E. a rear sway upgrade, cost is under $200.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Probably not. Mostly its a losing proposition unless you like more noise and less torque. The fact that the stock airbox is superior in most aspects has been demonstrated, most recently in a thread that documented intake air temps in varying condtion using a cold air intake vs OEM. Just search it out and start reading.
Point is there are far better things to spend $250 bucks on, especially if someone is on a budget or has otherwise limited funding for such things. In fact, the best bang-for-the-buck improvement is also the biggest improvement you can do, I.E. a rear sway upgrade, cost is under $200.
I agree it's not the best performance modification to make but it can add a little more fun to the vehicle. He said in his OP that he doesn't know much about cars so maybe try explaining why an intake on the m3 is useless instead of mocking his decision; which you now have done. :wink2:

·
Super Moderator
6,141 Posts
I agree it's not the best performance modification to make but it can add a little more fun to the vehicle. He said in his OP that he doesn't know much about cars so maybe try explaining why an intake on the m3 is useless instead of mocking his decision; which you now have done. :wink2:
No use in a lengthy explanation when a quick search will find more information that I can type in an hour. That is why this forum has a search function and why the membership rules encourage its use to avoid constant repetition of the the same subjects. Those rules are a sticky in the new member section. Cold air intake and SRI threads are probably one of the most common topics asked about.

·
Registered
431 Posts
As a standalone mod it would not be my first choice but to say it is useless is not correct, gains can be had when combining an intake with exhaust, throttle body spacer and tune.

·
Super Moderator
6,141 Posts
As a standalone mod it would not be my first choice but to say it is useless is not correct, gains can be had when combining an intake with exhaust, throttle body spacer and tune.
Throttle body spacer?? Does anyone still use those things? They won't do anything with this type of engine anyhow. They were generally used to increase air flow turbulence and promote the mix of air and fuel. This only works when you have air and fuel mixing in the intake manifold. Since a direct injection motor does not mix the air and fuel in the intake, it just doesn't make any difference.
Sure, gains can be shown on the dyno if you do it right. Hood open, fans on full blast. Remove all the underhood air that otherwise would be heated to well over 100°F and you can show maybe a 5 hp gain from an intake. Now close the hood, drive the car around for 20 minutes in traffic, then put it back on the dyno without the fans and keeping the hood closed. IATs will be 130°+, hp will be noticeably lower than before.:frown2:

·
Registered
431 Posts
Throttle body spacer?? Does anyone still use those things? They won't do anything with this type of engine anyhow. They were generally used to increase air flow turbulence and promote the mix of air and fuel. This only works when you have air and fuel mixing in the intake manifold. Since a direct injection motor does not mix the air and fuel in the intake, it just doesn't make any difference.
Sure, gains can be shown on the dyno if you do it right. Hood open, fans on full blast. Remove all the underhood air that otherwise would be heated to well over 100°F and you can show maybe a 5 hp gain from an intake. Now close the hood, drive the car around for 20 minutes in traffic, then put it back on the dyno without the fans and keeping the hood closed. IATs will be 130°+, hp will be noticeably lower than before.:frown2:

Feeliq performance here is getting decent gains from their spacer (with intake/exhaust and E85 tune), no point in me putting up dyno runs though as they tell lies according to you.

·
Super Moderator
6,141 Posts
Feeliq performance here is getting decent gains from their spacer (with intake/exhaust and E85 tune), no point in me putting up dyno runs though as they tell lies according to you.
I find it pretty odd that those who think things like SRIs and throttle body spacers work so well always say things like "yeah they do work I have proof but there is no sense in telling you what it is " while those who have tested and published results are said to be idiots.
Go ahead, post the numbers, if you have them.
Do you actually have numbers using the same car on the same dyno, with the plate and without the plate, everything else the same?

·
Registered
431 Posts
I find it pretty odd that those who think things like SRIs and throttle body spacers work so well always say things like "yeah they do work I have proof but there is no sense in telling you what it is " while those who have tested and published results are said to be idiots.
Go ahead, post the numbers, if you have them.
Do you actually have numbers using the same car on the same dyno, with the plate and without the plate, everything else the same?
Nah.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The CIA useless under certain power levels. Most factory paper filters are more then adequate to handle the necessary airflow and even way more.
If the OP really insists to spend money on the filter (which won't make a difference IMHO), I'd certainly suggest to stick to the Dry filter from AEM.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm running an Injen CAI on my car (not a short ram like the Corksport and K&N, actually goes down behind the wheel well). It showed an increase of like 6hp on a dyno, which is basically nothing.
Do I care about intake air temps around town in traffic when I don't rev past like 3500 and I'm averaging 35mph? Nope.
Do I care that power gains are insignificant and it's 95% noise? Nahhhh.
Does the noise make up for it with the windows down on a back road? Yepppp
https://www.instagram.com/p/BVjXRZ0FIuE/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BICWnkGDKbW/

·
Super Moderator
6,141 Posts
I'm running an Injen CAI on my car (not a short ram like the Corksport and K&N, actually goes down behind the wheel well). It showed an increase of like 6hp on a dyno, which is basically nothing.
Do I care about intake air temps around town in traffic when I don't rev past like 3500 and I'm averaging 35mph? Nope.
Do I care that power gains are insignificant and it's 95% noise? Nahhhh.
Does the noise make up for it with the windows down on a back road? Yepppp
https://www.instagram.com/p/BVjXRZ0FIuE/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BICWnkGDKbW/
That about sums it up I guess.:surprise:

·
Registered
578 Posts
Throwing my 2 cents in. A rear sway bar would improve performance more than the intake in the handling department. You don't really get anything out of ithe intake anyways unless your car gets tuned for the increased air flow plus heat soak. The RSB on the other hand has instant noticeable improvements around the turns. With the intake you'll get more noise for sure but without tuning and proper shielding from heat soak it's kinda useless unless all your after is the sound.

All in all it really is up to the OP to determine which they're more after: sound/possible hp/tq gains or handling

Correct me if I am wrong in any way.

Reactions: htomi
1 - 17 of 17 Posts