2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 3 S six speed and have heard the 3's with an auto have an opening to route air to the transmission cooler. Is it possible to route a Cold Air Intake to the opening that would route air to the transmission cooler?

I'm thinking that would be a good spot and maintain a stock look.

·
Resident MacGyver
2,227 Posts
Unless you fabricated a ducting system, it wouldn't have a ram air effect, so there would be little to no point. I think this is possible though. You could probably make a duct and swap out the driver's side bezel to get the opening. Of course, driving through deep water would almost certainly hydo-lock the engine and destroy it.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Of course, driving through deep water would almost certainly hydo-lock the engine and destroy it.
This is definietly a reason NOT to allow unimpeded access to the CAI...using the ATX vent for a manual with CAI might sound like a good idea in theory, but practical applicaiton for a daily driver would prove a bit more complicated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you did this on an automatic and still routed through the transmission cooler box would that work? I’m worried about how much take away it will have from the cooler itself

1 - 4 of 4 Posts