Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
510 Posts
bc br..

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I will never understand why people recommend BC Coilovers. I hated mine, had them installed for about 10 months. Couldn't wait to get rid of them. My new suspension is so sweet. The car rides unbelievable. I have the drop I want with ride comfort close to stock, if not better. Vogtland springs/Koni FSD. Winner, Winner.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Reactions: minsanity

·
Registered
510 Posts
because he's looking for coils and not sping/shocks set up?

i prefer coilovers as they're much harsher and sturdier around the corners. for me even as a daily when i'm not using my motorcycle, i'm willing to give up the comfort for better handling and i'm not just looking for the drop only..

granted i've not used the combo, but with enough research i'm sure there's something that can match the coilovers in handling..

·
Registered
1,016 Posts

i prefer coilovers as they're much harsher and sturdier around the corners. for me even as a daily when i'm not using my motorcycle, i'm willing to give up the comfort for better handling and i'm not just looking for the drop only..

granted i've not used the combo, but with enough research i'm sure there's something that can match the coilovers in handling..
If he wants coilovers, then look into SCALE Suspension.

·
Super Moderator
6,164 Posts

Coil overs do not provide any real improvement over the OEM spring / shock design. All a coil over does is relocate the spring location on the rear of the car. The only difference is the ability to change the ride height. Decent shocks and good springs will do more for you for less money. There are coil over systems out there that are really good, but be prepared to spend a bunch of money, two or three times what a good spring / shock combo would cost.
There is absolutely no reason why a suspension needs to ride like a truck to get better handling. The reason it does so is a total mismatch of springs and dampers. Most cheap systems such as BC have very stiff springs and dampers that have either poor rebound or compression and can't control the springs adequately to give a decent ride. Super stiff springs that reduce body roll to zero and crappy shocks that do very little are not the answer.
Lowering a car requires a proper suspension to retain near OEM ride quality. Stiffer springs are required as suspension travel is reduced. With OEM rate springs this means you'll be hitting the stops a lot resulting in a hard ride. Higher spring rates are needed to prevent the car from spending a lot of time on the bump stops. With stiffer springs better shocks that have compression / dampening that is able to control the springs are needed. You are not going to get this in a cheap Ebay type coil over like BC. It gets even worse with the coil overs that have adjustable perches or adjustable length shock bodies. This sort of stuff reduces travel even more because the internals need to be shorter to accommodate the full range adjustment.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Coil overs do not provide any real improvement over the OEM spring / shock design. All a coil over does is relocate the spring location on the rear of the car. The only difference is the ability to change the ride height. Decent shocks and good springs will do more for you for less money. There are coil over systems out there that are really good, but be prepared to spend a bunch of money, two or three times what a good spring / shock combo would cost.
There is absolutely no reason why a suspension needs to ride like a truck to get better handling. The reason it does so is a total mismatch of springs and dampers. Most cheap systems such as BC have very stiff springs and dampers that have either poor rebound or compression and can't control the springs adequately to give a decent ride. Super stiff springs that reduce body roll to zero and crappy shocks that do very little are not the answer.
Lowering a car requires a proper suspension to retain near OEM ride quality. Stiffer springs are required as suspension travel is reduced. With OEM rate springs this means you'll be hitting the stops a lot resulting in a hard ride. Higher spring rates are needed to prevent the car from spending a lot of time on the bump stops. With stiffer springs better shocks that have compression / dampening that is able to control the springs are needed. You are not going to get this in a cheap Ebay type coil over like BC. It gets even worse with the coil overs that have adjustable perches or adjustable length shock bodies. This sort of stuff reduces travel even more because the internals need to be shorter to accommodate the full range adjustment.
But so many out there are like BC'S are the best. Ride is better than stock. Comfortable. I'm like what are you smoking, LOL. I had mine for 10 months and couldn't wait to get rid of them. I am more than pleased that I did.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
510 Posts
i don't think BC is a "cheap Ebay type" coilover. they're quite decent given their quality and price point. talking about price, i don't think 1.5k or so for a coilover is considered cheap, it puts it about in line with their competitors. but price may not be a factor as it can vary depending on where you're located.

i don't know about what you're using but i personally feel this coilover is definitely an improvement over the OEM setup. granted the ride quality has gone down, but if that's not what you're looking for, then don't use coilovers. i've played with the damping settings for awhile before i've found my sweet spot which is probably not going to be the same for everyone else depending on what you're looking for. the full adjustability of the coilovers is what makes it's worth in adjusting the rebound rate amongst other adjustable stuff.

also i never said ride was better than stock or more comfortable. coilovers are known to be harsher than most oem/ aftermarket spring/shock mods. but the trade off is a better cornering ability and less roll in acceleration and braking. to each their own, i'm not looking for a comfortable car, but i'm sure quicker than you in the corners. didn't think you have to shit all over coilovers. they're harsh because they are not mainly design for public road use generally.

·
Super Moderator
6,164 Posts
The point is cheap (cheap and inexpensive are not the same) stuff like BC rides hard because its poorly designed. There is absolutely no reason for a good suspension to be that harsh with those spring rates. My MX-5 weighs considerably less and the spring rates are a good bit higher. Its not harsh at all and rides only slightly stiffer than OEM. Why? Because the suspension was properly designed for the car, unlike most cheap ebay stuff.
A suspension has to be compliant to work. Slapping a set of stiff springs on a shock doesn't mean performance. No body roll doesn't mean the car is better. A suspension that is too stiff and not compliant will not allow proper weight transfer and can cause the car to be quite unpredictable in a hard corner, especially if you have super sticky tires.
Stiff riding cars have always been accepted by the ricer types because the cheapest way to lower a car was cut the springs, and the ride suffered horribly. This has carried on until now, mostly because "thats the way it is and there isn't anything that can be done about it". That has changed, and there is no longer any reason to spend that much on a crap suspension that rides like a truck. There are better options out there for less money.
About BC Racing and cheap Ebay stuff - just who do you think makes the vast majority of the multicolor selection you see on ebay? They all come from Bor Chuan Enterprises, ie BC Racing in Taiwan. BCs are about $1k here unless you want to get some of the more expensive options like custom springs and external reservoirs.
Not for road use?
Ad copy from the BC site-
BC Racing BR series coilovers are the perfect choice for street driving with a dash of weekend warrior track action.
Quicker in the corners? Don't count on it.:wink2: There is a lot more to making a car go around a corner than some coilovers and a sway bar.

·
Registered
510 Posts
sure. i can accept that with the design being fairly less compared to the main suspension companies like Tein and the like. sure, the money put into the r&d is probably not as much. i'm sure there's also way better companies out there that provide custom made coilovers as well that are better. granted if you want a softer ride the compression and rebound of the shock itself has to be better but without the coilovers, you're still left without any adjustability should you want to fine tune the settings.

i'd definitely love to go for tein coilovers and the likes should i have the chance. but for now, given my aggressive style of driving, i'm more than happy with my setup and i'm definitely willing to compromise comfort. mind you, my previous e90 m3 suspension wasn't that much of a plush ride either

Quicker in the corners? Don't count on it.:wink2: There is a lot more to making a car go around a corner than some coilovers and a sway bar.
sure. :) there's no such thing fine tune a suspension. we haven't even touched the surface with suspension fine tuning, every track needs to have a different setup from the other..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts