2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I know everyone has their own opinions, feel free to share . I'm looking for coilovers to give a medium drop to my daily driver. As of now I'm giving a serious look into bc and h&rs, but not counting out ksport or Megan. I understand getting springs and some Komi struts is another solid option, but I'm looking more to the long run. Any suggestions?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Silver Surfer
2,904 Posts
There is lot of conversations about it. Search n read

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have been searching, I think people are just looking for the perfect answer which doesn't really exist. Everyone has their own opinion, after researching i think you just have to pull the trigger to see what works best for you.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
German entry level , non adjustable coliovers. German because even the entry level are high quality and German engineers have them dialed in right out of the box specifically for your car. Non adjustable because concentrate on your driving skills not playing with damping setting which if your inexperienced you'll probably have the adjustments way out of whack and your cars handling and ride quality will suffer.

KW or H&R. End of story.

·
Silver Surfer
2,904 Posts
German entry level , non adjustable coliovers. German because even the entry level are high quality and German engineers have them dialed in right out of the box specifically for your car. Non adjustable because concentrate on your driving skills not playing with damping setting which if your inexperienced you'll probably have the adjustments way out of whack and your cars handling and ride quality will suffer.

KW or H&R. End of story.

Or blistein..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ya, pretty much get what you pay for. I haven't heard many bad things about h&rs, is there anything else i should look into getting as far as like end links?

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
The German coilovers take into account that your lowering your car so they move the endlink mount point lower on the coilover body (H&R does this, not sure about the other co's) to compensate for the drop. Like I was saying the German engineers have it all covered so you get the right performance right out of the box.

I was lowered 1.5" with my H&R and my swaybar was parallel to the ground as it should be with the stock endlinks.

·
Aspiring Mad Scientist
1,716 Posts
BC's are not refined like the German kits but they're damn tough and they'll work. Found out that they do the endlink relocation too which is nice.

If ride quality isn't high on your priorities list you'll save a few hundred bucks. Not recommending Ksport or Megan though. A friend with K's just blew through his damper seals and Megans have reported seal problems in Honda applications.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Corksport are made by BC to specs Corksport requested. The difference between CS and Raceland is quality. CS have inverted dampers and are of much higher quality than the old technology twin tube dampers that Raceland uses. The interior valving and seals that Raceland uses are low quality junk. CS will work better and last longer.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Corksport are made by BC to specs Corksport requested. The difference between CS and Raceland is quality. CS have inverted dampers and are of much higher quality than the old technology mono tube dampers that Raceland uses. The interior valving and seals that Raceland uses are low quality junk. CS will work better and last longer.
LOL and just 20 minutes ago I finally decided on Corksport coilovers. Saving starts now but when I get them I'll be selling my Koni Str.t and Road Magnet Springs. They are fine but I want a high(er) end suspension now lol.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
The CS are good. There are a bunch of people on MSF that flog them and say they are holding up fine.

BTW I rushed through my last post and stated that Raceland are mono tube. They aren't, they're twin tube which is worse. Actually mono tube shocks are OK. Twin tube is as cheap as it gets. Only the lowest quality shocks use twin tube.

mono tube vs twin tube.
Mono win because the valving is bigger and the tube hold more oil which resists fade (bounciness). Inverted (upside down mono tube) is the best of all worlds. H&R and CS are inverted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_ujrMY6Y6k

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
LOL and just 20 minutes ago I finally decided on Corksport coilovers. Saving starts now but when I get them I'll be selling my Koni Str.t and Road Magnet Springs. They are fine but I want a high(er) end suspension now lol.
Hi.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Yes, three problems. Loud knocking sound. Spring rates that were way to soft and overall poor quality.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts