2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need as much information on Coilovers as i can get. I want to drop my Ms3 but my tires pop out a bit so lowering springs are out of the question. I want to know if i can adjust the angle of the tire with coilovers. if so what brand is best. how much are they. is it an ez dyi. and will i need anything else

My mazda 3 has 20" 8.5 rims on it

and im more woried about the front b/c if i drop it ill end up dropping it on the tire.

and no i dont want a smaller rim or tire

Idk if you can tell but the back wheels look like they tuck already, idk if thats normal, but the front wheels dont.

please help:mellow 1:

Pictures would be great as well
:thumbup 1:

·
General
170 Posts
"I want to drop my Ms3 but my tires pop out a bit so lowering springs are out of the question."...not necessarily...you can roll and flare your fenders. If your looking to really slam your ride you'll need front chamber plates and rear chamber arms with your coilovers and add negative chamber to get that tuck.

KW is one of the best in my opinions, just expensive...I went with BR coilovers, and so far so good.

Multi threads with pictures...just search...

What tire and wheel size are you running?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
245/35/20 and im not trying to really slam it just tuck it but i dont think if i flare the fender it will give my the clearance i need

·
Registered
508 Posts
Well 245/35R20 is way too big for our cars. You should be running 225/30R20, or at the least 225/35R20. This will also provide for additional clearance from tire to fender, as I'd imagine your wheels have an offset of +35 or close to. After you correct the tire size, you should have little issues with rubbing, and should only require a mild fender roll or pull to fit without rubbing.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I believe you are looking at two things. You want more camber so that you don't rub in front. Unfortunately it seems there aren't many options for camber adjustment up front for these cars quite yet. From the looks of your picture you would need a lot of camber to make that fit right. Are your wheels the same offset front and back?

A narrower tire on that rim would give him a bit more stretch that would ease fitment.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well 245/35R20 is way too big for our cars. You should be running 225/30R20, or at the least 225/35R20. This will also provide for additional clearance from tire to fender, as I'd imagine your wheels have an offset of +35 or close to. After you correct the tire size, you should have little issues with rubbing, and should only require a mild fender roll or pull to fit without rubbing.
Yes i know that but i live in Chicago where i have a pothole every 5 feet so im not trying to damage the rims :sad 1:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I believe you are looking at two things. You want more camber so that you don't rub in front. Unfortunately it seems there aren't many options for camber adjustment up front for these cars quite yet. From the looks of your picture you would need a lot of camber to make that fit right. Are your wheels the same offset front and back?

A narrower tire on that rim would give him a bit more stretch that would ease fitment.
Yes all my wheels are the same offset

And i thought i read online that 1st gen Suspension kits work on our cars is this true?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Yes i know that but i live in Chicago where i have a pothole every 5 feet so im not trying to damage the rims :sad 1:
I live around chi-town also and its a matter of not buying cheap tires and keeping your tire pressure maintained. And I've hit some massive potholes on my 19's and I've not had any issues.

·
General
170 Posts
lol if you have a problem with potholes why would you get a wheel that big with no side walls...your probably throwing off your odometer too...your best solution is to change the tire and maybe even the wheels...if not see how much you can roll/flare the fendors...and if thats not enough get coilovers and chamber kits and add negative chamber though your tires will wear fast...

·
MAAAAAD
2,140 Posts
pot holes and 20" aren't meant to be. downsize the wheels.. they are nice but i think way too big for out cars. do they make them any smaller? maybe 19" or 18"?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I live around chi-town also and its a matter of not buying cheap tires and keeping your tire pressure maintained. And I've hit some massive potholes on my 19's and I've not had any issues.
Same thing here i have no trouble with my tires and thats why i dont want to down grade.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lol if you have a problem with potholes why would you get a wheel that big with no side walls...your probably throwing off your odometer too...your best solution is to change the tire and maybe even the wheels...if not see how much you can roll/flare the fendors...and if thats not enough get coilovers and chamber kits and add negative chamber though your tires will wear fast...
I mean droping the car is not necesary but i would like too, soo changing the wheel/tire is out of the question lol i love my rims and the guys at the mazda dealer liked them too they tought it was the cx-7 :stuart: but over all i will try to roll them (with a BAT!!!) JK and then drop it

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oh i went to top speed (a tunner shop in chicago) and all they had where lowering springs and they told me that it might clear it, the thing is im cool with them and they said 189 for all four is that a good deal

·
MAAAAAD
2,140 Posts
oh i went to top speed (a tunner shop in chicago) and all they had where lowering springs and they told me that it might clear it, the thing is im cool with them and they said 189 for all four is that a good deal
Depends on what spring, how much of a drop and if it includes installation.

From what people are saying, the stock struts would not last very long with springs that lower it more than 1.5".

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
General
170 Posts
yea I would leave it as is then...

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Depends on what spring, how much of a drop and if it includes installation.

From what people are saying, the stock struts would not last very long with springs that lower it more than 1.5".

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App
i belive that the front is 1.3 and the back is 1.5 im not so sure any more

oh no they charge extra for install

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
AutoProject
241 Posts
What exactlly are you trying to do I read your post and your saying you want to camber the fronts and rears.
For rear camber you can buy either SPC or James Barone. as for front camber bc coils give them to you with your purchase or you can buy the front camber plates from corksport.

In my opinion I would just leave it as it is right now. the wheels unless you downsize will be a problem if you want to lower it. unless your willing to roll/ pull your fenders and cut some of the upper lining both the front and rear.
thats just my idea

1 - 20 of 22 Posts