2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have some things I want to do to my 2018 Mazda 3 touring, 6 speed manual.

• To do switchbacks (amber/white) for turn signals/DRL’s on lower bumper, amber for turn signals, and the white for DRL’s
  • To change the function of the current DRL/High beam location and turn that location into a dedicated high beam
  • I’d prefer to do the changing DRL via programming and not physically changing the wiring (if possible), will do electrically if that is the only way
  • I want to retain the DRL function, just move it to the turn signals.
I am not new to car coding and programming (previous BMW coding experience), but I am new to programming on a Mazda. I typically start with a search, but having trouble finding the information I want quickly.
I started looking through the "Asbuilt Thread" but it feels cumbersome for as big as it is and I don't know really where to start. I think my main thing is coding the DRL function to the lower bumper turn signals, and making the high-beam location a dedicated high beam. I am not sure if this is even possible. I know it is electrically (I'd rather not take apart connectors of harnesses and re-route if I don't have to. I'd prefer to do it via coding if I can.

So, how do I get started in FORScan, is there a tutorial somewhere on how to get started in it? Is there a table of coding shortcuts? OBD2 CanBus interface with a windows 10 laptop? Any and all help, opinions welcome. Thanks!

·
Immortal
239 Posts
Don't think you can all this done without rerouting cables - turn signal bulb have only two wires. switchback led 3. I have Mazda6 and installed to front turn lights switchback leds and need to add wire to white part of led. Asbulit data you need to change 726-01-02 B3 from 0 halogen to 1 led , then you dont need resistors for turn light hyperflash.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Don't think you can all this done without rerouting cables - turn signal bulb have only two wires. switchback led 3. I have Mazda6 and installed to front turn lights switchback leds and need to add wire to white part of led. Asbulit data you need to change 726-01-02 B3 from 0 halogen to 1 led , then you dont need resistors for turn light hyperflash.
You do realize he has a 3 and this is a 3 forum not a 6 forum?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I really don't want to turn off the DRL's. I prefer to have some light on, in order to be seen.

Well after doing some research and studying on how the headlight/DRL/high beam headlight circuit functions and operates, in the 2014 Mazda 3 Service manual, I have found a way to do exactly what I want to do. From what I can tell, doing what I want to do is going to have to be done electrically. To move the DRL lighting and put it with the turn signal using a switchback setup.

Today I did some preliminary leg work and I can use the wire that is the "trigger" from the DRL relay (to the left headlight for the DRL's) to power the white portion of the switchback bulb. With the DRL's on, this wire supplies 13.65 VDC which is plenty for the amber/white LED switchbacks.
I will have to tap off of this wire to get that "turn on" signal over to the right turn signal for the white switchback . Mainly due to the wire that comes from the DRL relay goes to the left side headlight first and starts the DRL circuit.

Just for kicks, I turned on the high beams and measured from the wire that supplies that signal from the high beam relay and ground and there was 13.5 VDC and measured on the DRL wire (while high beams were on) and it was like half a volt.

To move the DRL's completely away from the headlights, I will need to cut this "trigger" wire, and splice a lead from the headlight side of that wire to ground point G01 to retain the use of the high-beams. And take the car side of the "trigger" wire (from the DRL relay) and make it the "turn on" lead for the white LED of the switchbacks. I will be using single wire weather proof connectors to do this as well as make it possible to put it back to stock functionality if I ever sell or get rid of the car.

So, there's a plan. I'll order the parts and see how it goes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts