2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the Cobb AP for a couple of weeks now.Very happy with it but had a bad experience with the dealer. Bought from Canadian dealer Rocket Rally Racing in Squamish BC. Dealer forgot to order my unit from Cobb after taking my credit card info. I called after a month for order status and was told "you should have it in a week".
One week later I called again, and was told they forgot to order it "because you have an MS3, and we are a Mitsubishi/Subaru dealer" ??!!. I spoke to manager who said he wanted to make it up to me but he offered nothing. Whatever.

Anyway, finally got the AP and loaded Stage 1 - 93 map. Very noticable improvement in throttle response and definitely felt higher boost/torque, engine setup has leaner AFR at partial and WOT now, but I drive faster so no fuel saving here :p. Learning a lot about tuning and have spent many hours comparing/learning the the differences between stock map with the OTS Stage 1 - 93 by opening two windows of AccessTUNER Race(ATR) with the stock map in one window/Stage 1- 93 map in the other. Saw clearly the boost increases and other changes Cobb made to their map. Datalogged for a MAF calibration but was solidly within Cobbs tuning spec, and they say a MAF cal isn't necessary on a stock vehicle, so I'll wait for my new intake. I'm seriously looking at ATP turbo's bolt-on turbo kits...ahhh to dream.
Cobb AP is an amazing product. Loads new maps in less than five minutes.
Only complaint about the AP is screen staying on after vehicle is shutdown. A switch or auto-off feature would be nice, so i don't have to disconnect plug every time I shut engine off.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I would suggest getting the LTFT below +/-4 this should be simple and below +/-2 if you can. You will also need to make some MAF calibration tweaks above 100g/s when you make your WOT runs, this will be an AFR requested and AFR logged ratio (I forget which way it goes). I would also look at the LTFT breakpoints as mine were off on my map to start with. Cobb's guidelines protect Cobb, thus the engine runs rich, as mine does at this point, but a new map goes in shortly. I would suggest reading some of the info below, if you have not already, lean it out (93 octane helps alot) a bit you will start to fell what the little engine/turbo can do.

I suggest reading the ATR Help File a few times (assume you already have), Abilors Tuning for Noobs and the following ATR discussion which has some very good links, worksheets and discussion.

Abilor's Tooning Guide for Noobs - Mazdaspeed Forums

Gen 2 Cobb ATR discussion - Mazdaspeed Forums

Keep it safe

Z

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info Zprice, I'll look into those points. The two links you recommended are excellent reading for those wanting to learn more. I'm being cautious as to how quickly I proceed as I'm playing with a new MS3. I just got back from a test run after changing Cobbs 1st to 4th gear APP throttle position tables to my own preferences. It's fun and satisfying to be able to customize a ride in this way, but I gotta learn which tables interrelate and how 'cause the consequences can be far reaching. I agree with you that Cobbs settings would be conservative. (Especially Boost, AFR's, and Timing). Right now I hardly know squat about this, but I'll put the time in to learn more. Cobb AP is a tool, and people should know how to properly use it.
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
IDK. I couldn't find inconsistancy at 100 g/s. I did the standard calibrations at 5.7, 18 and 30. Now that the weather is on the cool side I'm running 11.9 at wot and my afr's are a consstant 11.8-11.9 all the way to redline (280 g/s) with a max of .6 KR The consistant afr's tell me the calibration is clean all the way up.. Maybe not everyone has to recalibrate at 100 g/s. I agree with Zprice though. Lots of good AP threads over on MSF. The stock AP maps are pretty coservative and the car gets a lot quicker when you tweaking AFR's and boost. I haven't messed with timing yet.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I just got back from a test run after changing Cobbs 1st to 4th gear APP throttle position tables to my own preferences.
I have actually made this change for 1st and 2nd only in an attempt to limit power in those gears, in my next map flash. I will wait and think about 3rd thru 5th, I would not modify 6th if you ever use cruise, I have read things go a little crazy if you do.

I finally have a decent MAF calibration, my beta map allowed LTFT up to abs(8), I now have them down to abs(2) but of course this continues to change with temp (thinking of making a few maps for different temps but we will see).

I have the rest of my map modified to 18# boost to 16.5 RL, 10.8 AFR, 2.3 load, etc, per Abilor and a few others. This will go on this weekend and hopefully get some WOT runs and start tweaking load tables. I probably will not worry much about timing until I mount up the meth kit, love Texas and clean 93 octane.

Z

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd be interested to see the overall effect bringing up the load to 2.3 for the gears as Abilor suggested and adding another
1 Psi Boost (to 18 from Cobbs 17) . This is a considerable increase over Cobbs Stage 1/93 load numbers (ie. Throttle-Req Load-first Gear (Norm Bat) at 3000RPM is 1.69 g/cyl (highest load on that range) and tapering down to RL).
I'm working this same strategy ZPrice, I guess you also raised your Boost Limits-Fuel Cut and Boost Limits-Throttle Close above your max 18psi Boost Target?
One last thing, are most people going with Abilors LTFT breakpoint vs the different ones that came in the Cobb OTS map?

·
Registered
596 Posts
Actually if you read the ATR Help file (page 12) the break points are essentially the same. I don't know why the numbers in the OTS maps are different, I changed mine and did a recal.

Z

1 - 7 of 7 Posts