2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Well I've been very happy with my 15 3 for the money. It has its flaws for sure. I wouldn't call this car 'superb' but on a value for money basis it's very good.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,498 Posts
It just needed a turbo variant with a manual transmission and I will be happy.

Too bad there's been no progress on one from any aftermarket car company. I'm thinking our 3s will need to wait for Mazda to release a turbo 3 again...without a multilink suspension...
CK

·
Registered
348 Posts
Seems kind of superficial review. The bad points raised was that it didn't have auto up/down windows and the dash was boring? What

Why not mention the crappy brakes and road noise. Those are the cars' weakest points.

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,282 Posts
Missing Apple Car Play / Android Auto
Missing Animated display (Customizable) GPS/RPM/Odometer - gauge like some other vehicles already have.

These would be a cool option.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I find the brakes good but I'm no boy racer. The main problem is road noise even on the revised 2017 model which is still there after soundproofing although I haven't done the front wheel arch yet.

·
Registered
988 Posts
It just needed a turbo variant with a manual transmission and I will be happy.
^
Exactly this

I hope that for the new "Gen" they can provide a downsize turbo engine option as a top trim level, such as a 2.0L Turbo or even 1.8L Turbo, making 185hp-210hp. To be honest I don't think we will ever see a 2.5L Turbo in a 3.

Mazda have realized that if they want to be recognized as a "Premium" car maker then they need to provide "Premium" engine options as well, hence IMO the move to provide the 6 with a 2.5L Turbo engine. The CX-9 has it, the newly refreshedMazda 6 has it, it will also be a matter of time for the CX-5 to have this engine option as well, and hopefully like mentioned before the new 3 will get a downsize version of it with a Turbo.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Seems kind of superficial review. The bad points raised was that it didn't have auto up/down windows and the dash was boring? What

Why not mention the crappy brakes and road noise. Those are the cars' weakest points.
The brakes are much better on this than on the mk6 GTI. Feels very solid. If anything I'd say it's the best part of this car. Linear, not a ton of initial bite but that means it's easy to modulate, brake pedal feels firm and communicative at all times.

The road noise is pretty bad. I noticed some foam material up on the wheel arches a bit and the C pillar but little to none on the doors. Why else would a VW Golf, which is shorter by a foot, weighs more than this car? After doing the doors and the wheel arches, it became bearable over rough patches but I still want to do the floors.

I've learned through this experience not to trust online reviews. Some reviews say this car has a nice clutch, some say it doesn't. My experience has been mixed. Some days I can shift as smooth as butter, other days it's like a bucking bronco. I can't wait to get the Corksport trans mount.

·
Registered
348 Posts
The brakes are much better on this than on the mk6 GTI. Feels very solid. If anything I'd say it's the best part of this car. Linear, not a ton of initial bite but that means it's easy to modulate, brake pedal feels firm and communicative at all times.
Previous VWs had mediocre brakes. I used to own a MK5 Golf GTI and they weren't good. But I stand by my statement. The brakes on the Mazda 3 are not that good; at least for my tastes. It's not linear as I want it to be. There is a bit of pedal travel before the brakes start to engage and there seems to be not enough braking force at that moment. In other words, the brakes do stop the car but could be stronger.

I test drove the ordinary MK7 Golf and the brakes are way better.

2:06

11:42 (Talks about VW brakes now)

I'm not dissing Mazda as a brand, but just sharing my 1 year + experience owning the 3.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Agree, brakes are weak and not inline with other aspects of the car. Video above (Red 3) is mine.

Reactions: lordnikon

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm very happy with the car for the price. Like others said, an available turbo would sweeten the deal. In my case, since this car is more about economy for me, I wouldn't even request additional horsepower, though a bump in torque - especially on the low-end - would be very welcome. All things considered, I'd buy the 3 again, pitted against its current competition.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts