2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I noticed that shifting was getting more and more difficult, so as soon as I got home I checked the fluid level — sure enough it was extremely low. I check fluid levels weekly so a recent leak was my conclusion.

On top of that, it seemed like the clutch pedal was beginning to feel a little spongey. I thought it was probably either the clutch master or slave cylinder, but when I took it to my mechanic today both of those checked out, although the brake master cylinder is shot and will be replaced.

My question is whether a leak from the brake master could cause problems in the hydraulic clutch system too? They told me that the pedal felt ‘normal’ to them, but I’m pretty convinced that there’s more take-up than before. When the fluid was really low, could some air have gotten into the clutch line?

They’re going to bleed the brake system when the brake master is replaced, but would bleeding the clutch slave cylinder be too much?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bleeding the clutch is fairly straight forward on these cars, so it wouldn't hurt to do it as well.

Looking at the reservouir, the clutch line is about half way up the tank, near the min mark. So if yours is the same as on my car, it is possible that air got introduced when the fluid went low.

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,274 Posts
Last week I noticed that shifting was getting more and more difficult, so as soon as I got home I checked the fluid level — sure enough it was extremely low. I check fluid levels weekly so a recent leak was my conclusion.

On top of that, it seemed like the clutch pedal was beginning to feel a little spongey. I thought it was probably either the clutch master or slave cylinder, but when I took it to my mechanic today both of those checked out, although the brake master cylinder is shot and will be replaced.

My question is whether a leak from the brake master could cause problems in the hydraulic clutch system too? They told me that the pedal felt ‘normal’ to them, but I’m pretty convinced that there’s more take-up than before. When the fluid was really low, could some air have gotten into the clutch line?

They’re going to bleed the brake system when the brake master is replaced, but would bleeding the clutch slave cylinder be too much?
Hopefully it isn't this:

Symptoms of a Bad Transmission
Odd sounds (whirring, squealing, bumping, or thumping)
Grinding noise.
Transmission jumps out of gear (into neutral)
Difficulty shifting gears.
Leaking transmission oil.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts