2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

How many people have had clutch issues

Clutch Issue?

80K views 60 replies 41 participants last post by  MMahoney 
#1 ·
I'm kind of starting to get worried...I love my Mazda 3s, but I've been reading on a lot of car complaints websites that more and more people are having their clutches "disintegrate" or just go out on them with low miles. Has anyone else had these problems?? Er, how many people have had this issue?? When they describe it, most of them drive all highway miles(like me) and their clutch goes out between like 13k-25k and I'm like right there...Has anyone else noticed that these complaints are starting to mount up???:001_unsure:

#31 ·
The clutch blew apart, went through the housing into the fuel lines, fuel hit the hot exhaust and caused a fire...car is gone.

ok i have no clue

#35 ·
Lol I know

#36 ·
I beat my clutch up a little for the first 50 miles, but have been really easy on it since. When i push the clutch pedal in on a flat surface the car moves forward very slowly, this leads me to think its not fully disengaging even with the pedal on the floor =\

#38 ·
Hey, I'm back. I have successfully put 26k miles on my 3rd oem clutch. The first two lasted 8k miles a piece. On the way home from church last sunday, my clutch started to vibrate once again :argh 1:... It is vibrating quite badly at the moment, so I have to purchase a new clutch ASAP! Only problem is that idk which one to go with. I have been thinking about the SPEC stage 2 plus the concentric hydraulic release bearing/slave cylinder to go with it. Is this a good Idea?

Also, I think that my most recent service visit (last wednesday) has had something to do with my clutch going bad once again. The technician was just about redlining the engine to pull it up a "small" incline to enter the service bay, then same technique when taking her for a test drive :argh 1:! I have had no issues with it for almost 2 years, and most recent costed me $16xx.xx!!

I am also taking my car to a local guy who has been a mechanic for almost 30 years, so I think he will be able to fix my car better than the stealer$hit ever did.

Any suggestions on the clutch?

Thanks,
Alex

#41 ·
I haven't had a problem with my clutch at 2.5k miles so far.

@Funkydslr, are for sure it is the clutch engaged even when pushed all the way down or just gravity? haha

I'm in two minds about it actually man, I've had my car in my garage which is perfectly level with the clutch all the way disengaged and it still wanted to creep. Then there have been other times at traffic light where i wont move at all, at this point....there's SO many vibrations and hiccups that i just put everything scary sounding or feeling down to; because racecar :Racing 1:

#43 ·
Every time I push the clutch in or let it out, it shacks your whole leg, that kind of vibrations. I ordered the new clutch 2 weeks ago, and it just now this afternoon got here. Just need to have it installed now :001_smile:

#44 ·
My clutch started vibrating badly when I let out on the pedal on my 2010. The tech said it was the pilot bearing (there wasn't much wear on any of the friction surfaces). They replaced the bearings, pressure plate and disk, and it got a little bit better. It still vibrates a bit before it warms up, and definitely doesn't feel like new.

I've been thinking about putting an ACT clutch and a new OEM flywheel to see if that solves it.

#45 ·
I have a 2012 Mazda3 with 37k miles and I've got this rattling/clunk sound happening when I let out on the clutch. It seems to happen more often when it's warmed up. I can make it happen by going into too high a gear (like, maybe 6th at 30-35mph), revving to about 2-2.5krpm and letting out on the clutch. That's the best way to hear it.

Sounds like it's on the driver's side. Just a short rattle or clunk as the clutch grabs.

Is this consistent with some of the problems you guys are having?

#47 ·
My speed only has 18k miles and already had to change the clutch. But i've been modding it and racing it since day 1. It was holding kind of alright during my stage 2 but ones i got the meth in ut started slipping and after the BT it went completely out :-/

#48 ·
I'm having issues with my clutch also, When i'm heading into a high velocity it just bothers me because it's not smooth at all. It's hard to describe but lets just say it isn't the smoothest at all and my vehicle is just hitting the 8K mile mark and had it since December 2013 New off the lot.

#49 ·
Verified: Happened to me about 2 years ago. My clutch started going out around 22k miles. Struggling to get into 1st, slipping in 6th. Looked on some forums to see if anyone else had this problem and it turned out quite a few were. Took it up to the dealership to get it checked out and they confirmed it was "smoked". After ever so politefully declining their $1300 service charge to fix the clutch since the warranty wouldn't cover it as it is a "wear part", I bought another stock clutch (pressure plate, throwout bearing, and release fork) and changed it myself. However, from 2010 to early 2012 Mazda had changed the clutch release fork from the original (suspicious) so I didn't know if that had anything to do with the clutch going out early or engaging while the pedal was fully depressed as read in earlier messages. However, I'm now at 57k miles and have had no problems at all with my clutch.

Attachments

#51 ·
I had 350 on the odometer, and my clutch blew apart the day after I drove it home. Most frustrating experience ever because they weren't going to replace it under warranty originally but they ended up doing so. Not a single problem since then. It's also worth noting that mine was the "beater" at the dealer meaning it was they one they let everyone test drive.

#52 ·
85k mi. on 2010 Hatch - No Problemo

My recently purchased 2010 with 85k mi. on the clock is running well and the clutch feels as new. I've been driving sticks for over 45 years and have never had a clutch failure. I concentrate on achieving *very* smooth transitions from gear to gear and this may have something to do with my success with sticks.

However, I'll keep an eye on it since I didn't put the first 84k mi. on the car...

-CD-

#56 ·
"There is a class action lawsuit just filed in July 2106 against Mazda for clutch issues on the Mazda 3 2010-2015."

Got a link or details?

#59 ·
Hey guys. I picked up a 2012 speed3 CPO with 35k on it two and a half years ago. Clutch grabbed midway at that point. I did learn stick with this car to some extent, but i'd like to think i'm pretty decent with it now. Over the last few months, however, the clutch now grabs at the VERY END of the pedal. it still grabs, but i can't put a lot of throttle into it. Works fine once i get going though.

Dealership says the clutch is almost gone, and it will be 2700 to replace the clutch along with the flywheel. I may have learned on this car, but i'm pretty smooth with gear changes now, and i've only put 16k on the car. I don't think my clutch should be going this fast.....any suggestions? should i just get a new OEM from Rockauto and have another spot replace them? reading through the thread, doesnt look like some of you replaced your flywheels; if i could save that 700+ that would be greatly appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.