2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

How many people have had clutch issues

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
my 1st zoom zoom
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm kind of starting to get worried...I love my Mazda 3s, but I've been reading on a lot of car complaints websites that more and more people are having their clutches "disintegrate" or just go out on them with low miles. Has anyone else had these problems?? Er, how many people have had this issue?? When they describe it, most of them drive all highway miles(like me) and their clutch goes out between like 13k-25k and I'm like right there...Has anyone else noticed that these complaints are starting to mount up???:001_unsure:

·
Silver Demon
837 Posts
Is this specific to the non-turbo models? I have 24 k right now on my speed and thankfully no issues (knock on wood) and also 80% highway driving

·
Registered
161 Posts
It seems to me that this is a problem from the n/a models from 2010... But 2010.5 and up isnt having this issue...

·
my 1st zoom zoom
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've read it on quite a few websites... carcomplaints.com, arfc.org/complaints, edmunds, nhtsa.org on all of those website I've looked up complaints on 2010 Mazda3 to see what kinda complaints my type of car is getting and the clutch complaints were on all of those websites and they all talked about how their clutch disintegrated and they needed to replace the whole thing, etc.

·
1,091 Posts
I read from a Mazda tech some girl who fried her Mazda 2 clutch in 6k miles. They were nice to her and managed to get her clutch replaced through warranty. She came back at 11k cause it was gone it again. When they observed her driving she kept her foot on the clutch. My suspicion lies with people not driving as well as they think they are.

The only person I know of who has managed to kill their MS3 clutch is because they've done a lot of drag racing. The complaints I come across mostly relate to the clutch pedal feel, but not to it actually disintegrating. Also, it's worthwhile to note that most people who have no issues won't bother to chime in.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I can confirm a 2011 mazdaspeed 3 clutch disintegration at only 640 miles and driver error was not a factor:shocked: lol but mazda is taking all parts to be examined by their engineers. As far as i can tell it may be a part problem but, maybe not a parts problems time will reveal all i suppose sucked it had to be me!

Update; The entire clutch assembly was replaced by mazda for my 2011 MS3 with 640 miles on it. It was replaced by mazda not the dealership just to make it clear to all.

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
Why didnt u put as an option yes i have clutch issues but still going! Anyway i work at Rosenthal Mazda in tysons and just luke mmlehcim said its mostly those models that come in with that complaint but working here trust me if ur clutch goes theres no warrenty the dealer will just blame you. I have a 10 mz3 made but in end of 09 and i have few problems but just look into buying a upgraded clutch and look at the thread ob the clutch situation and some have ideas that help get rid of the problem

·
Continuous Party Member
563 Posts
Had to replace the clutch on my 2010 3S @ 45,000 miles....dealer would not warranty of course but I have 42 years experience driving manual transmissions of all types from 3-on-the-tree to VW Beetle transaxle to Hurst & Muncie 4 speeds to 10-speed medium-duty trucks.....thousands of miles without a clutch failure of any kind...
but I paid the money and didn't pursue it further due to lack of time to devote to phone calls/letters/meetings...
BUT I really do feel that the first OEM clutches in the 2010 Mazda 3 S with the 2.5L motor were NOT up to spririted driving as depicted in Mazda's advertisements...the replacement clutch is holding its own....so far...I'm done.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Surfing on MSF for the last year and very rare to hear of any clutch issues. The stock clutch does start to slip when pushing 500 hp though. :tongue:

·
Registered
296 Posts
Don't know what they stick in 2nd gen Mazda3's but I have 125,000 miles on the original clutch and that includes hundreds of 3-5K rpm launches with sticky r-comp tires at autocross events. I've had a stock replacement clutch sitting new in the box in my garage for the last two years, but the original just won't quit. The clutches in these cars seem very stout. The OE manufacture is Exedy/Daikin and the OE clutch is a quality unit.

·
Registered
352 Posts
My clutch has failed twice, and going on a third time now! :argh 1: I do have the 2.5l 6-speed 2010.5 model hatch. Can't wait for a stage 2 clutch and lightweight flywheel to come out end of this year! :yes: I'm gonna be one of the first to get one! I hate the stock clutch in my car!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've got a 2010 2.5 6 speed and it looks like my clutch self destructed on Saturday night. Car is not driven hard by any means, never raced. I"ve been driving stick for 25 years and I've never smoked a clutch. That includes v8 Mustangs all the way down to Miatas.

In my case I started off from a light, shifted into first gear, and the clutch pedal never came back all the way up. The transmission did not engage fully either so I pulled over and shut the car off. I pulled on the clutch pedal and it came back up, but now the car will not start either. Not sure if that is a starter issue or a clutch not being fully disengaged issue yet. Car is scheduled to be towed to a shop today to have the clutch pulled and inspected.

I talked to Mazda locally and Mazda USA. Both said no issues reported with this model year/type and clutches.

I'll report back. At this point I have not voted in the poll. I will after I see what the problem is.

Not looking forward to this though.

Ron

·
Registered
336 Posts
im at about 60k so far on the original clutch but for the past 10,000 miles my release bearing has been making some noise on the fork but i wouldn't worry about that.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
15k miles 2011 mz 3, no clutch issues. did have second gear issue which mazda tried to blame on the clutch. clutch isn't warrantied at all ( what i was told at the dealership ) and i have noticed that ALOT of people drive standard horribly and clutches like these can't take that abuse. esp trying to take off from 1rst gear at like 3k every time ( i know someone who does that ) whats even worse.. it was his first manual car..even worse.. its a freaking STI

·
2010 MZ3
144 Posts
Yeah, you should've put there on the poll, had issues but still running.. hehe I'm at 42K miles and I am hearing a squeaking sound (probably release bearing) but I'm still going, clutch doesn't seem to slip or anything.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.