2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

New guy here! xD (I've googled for hours reading tons of threads and I can't seem to find anything close to what I am experiencing.)

So I have a 2013 speed3. I am having this... "clunk"? sound coming from my engine whenever I let off the accelerator. I have been to my tuner and to mazda multiple times to get this sound figured out. They think they MIGHT have found it in the RMM. I have the Corksport race rear mount and have been in contact with them on a consistent basis and no one can figure out what the sound is. I have taken videos of the sound and we still can't figure it out. I have had it removed and installed multiple times. Tightened down with a torque wrench to about 65lbs and it is still making this sound.

If anyone on this board has any clue, or has the same issue, what did you do to fix it?

It isn't determental to my car it's just really annoying.. I would hate to have to remove the RMM and use the stock one just cause of a sound because the pro's of this mount greatly out-weigh a clunk. Anyway..

here are the videos. Any help is greatly appreciated! (The sound is way different in person, in the video is sounds like a "pop" right as I release the accelerator)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gms-5KfL5Y&feature=youtube_gdata_player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQKlN_QTLps&feature=youtube_gdata_player

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Did you try releasing the accelerator pedal with the hood open and car off? Maybe someone can see if its any mechanical issue with the throttle body possibly? Or the cable? Maybe your rmm is defective and needs replacing? Not sure

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry for double post but this sound only happens when under load. I can't replicate in neutral and it really only happens if I get to around.. Oh 6psi and release the accelerator. I dont know if that helps any

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mmmm.. Nope. Just had it redone today and its still there.

I have to wonder if my sri is contacting something but this sound is coming from somewhere else. I'm stumped.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That just makes the funny shifting noise the speed3 have.

This sound is different. I appreciate your advice :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I appreciate it! Out of curiosity does anyone know of any speed3 groups that I could possibly contact who have worked on our cars and maybe help me out? Much easier in person I think. I am in puyallup Washington if that helps any.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Is it possible it's a constant noise that is overshadowed by the engine rev when accelerating? I've had that with wheel bearings sometimes.

·
Registered
368 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I’m getting a clunk sound when accelerating from a dead stop. I know it’s the intermediate axel shaft, I went under and was able to move it side to side; it has quite a bit of play. Is this normal ?

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,246 Posts
I’m getting a clunk sound when accelerating from a dead stop. I know it’s the intermediate axel shaft, I went under and was able to move it side to side; it has quite a bit of play. Is this normal ?
Any clunking sounds isn't normal for a vehicle. It could be the engine/trans mounts, transmission and suspension related parts. You could make apt with the dealer and get it check out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I do all the work myself, I just changed out the stock mounts for Damond mounts trani, PMM, and RMM last month. The CV axles were also replaced last month. The intermediate shaft has come play. I raised the car and rotated the passenger side tire and I can see and hear the sound I hear when accelerating from a stop. It’s the intermediate shaft play. There’s other forums with countless people saying they have the same issue.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts