2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Anyone have experience when your wheel is turned and performing a reverse, you hear a clunking noise similar to a worn axel. I’m only hearing these noise while reversing. I do hear a loud squeak when the front nose dip down during breaking , unsure if this is related. Help, dealership have no clue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
How many miles are on your car? Clunking/grinding sounds during turns might be a torn CV joint boot or a wheel bearing but that usually doesn't happen until 100K+ miles.

I had a weird squeeky sound recently that I found out was due to worn out rotors though so it could be something much more trivial.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I already checked if the boots were torn. The car is about 55k. Now the crazy part is that the clunking sound doesn’t happen going forward and only reverse. It definitely sound like a axel clunking but it doesn’t happen 100% of the time when I reverse.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yes I already checked if the boots were torn. The car is about 55k. Now the crazy part is that the clunking sound doesn’t happen going forward and only reverse. It definitely sound like a axel clunking but it doesn’t happen 100% of the time when I reverse.
You use the plural "clunking", is it repetitive or a single clunk, loose joint.
If repetitive is it at wheel speed, does it speed up if you go a little faster, wheel bearing / drive shaft.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had a Subaru that made a similar noise, I thought the worst, cv joint, half shaft, end links, strut, etc.
It turned out to be the sway bar bushings, they sorta loose their elasticity over time and I found out that it was really common for them to fail after after 30-50,000 miles.
I bought a new set of bushings for less than $10, replaced them fairly quick, less than an hour. Noise gone.
It’s better to start eliminating all the variables especially when they are inexpensive and are probably in need of maintenance or repair.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I remember it was when I would turn the wheel a certain way or going over speed bumps, also when I hit a pothole.
Can’t remember if it did it in reverse, I sold my Subaru a couple of months ago, it lives in New Mexico now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.