2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day my car was running perfectly fine. Here's what happened. I was on my 1 hour lunch for work. Went to take my girl to work, before I turn the car off, I let it cool down for 30 seconds to a good minute. I drive it hard every once in awhile, but I do baby it and all maintenance is up to date. I came back to my car, turned it on and all of a sudden clouds of blue smoke came from the exhaust. I thought it could've been someone else, but it was mine. I drove it back to work out of boost. Normally when I drive, I would hear my turbo spool a little, but it felt and drove like it was N/A. I can get the turbo to vaguely spool but doesn't pull like normal. My friend said it could be a boost leak. I said, "how would it have a boost leak and blow blue smoke at the same time?" He replied, "it could be a blow by." So, I gave him a test drive, tried to boost and it didn't boost until 4500rpm/5000rpm. It barely pulled when boosting but didn't smoke clouds when in boost. It would vaguely blow blue smoke after I got home from work later. It was an easy pull. After, I went home and shut it off and haven't turned it back on since Thursday evening. I talked to my dad and he said it's going to be the turbo. I have a brand new OEM turbo being delivered and should be here Wednesday. I'm curious if it really is the turbo? It doesn't have shaftplay in and out or up and down, but my pops said a bad turbo doesn't need shaftplay. Is that correct? Also, it could be the internal or the cartrige/valve seals and etc. Let me know what you guys think. I'm really curious of what it really could be. I will replace the turbo first, then go from there. Sorry this was a lot, I really need advice! Thank you!:001_huh:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
I'm hardly the most knowledgeable person about cars (in fact I'm rather ignorant!) and I'm sure you'll get much better feedback from others, but before replacing the turbo, maybe checking for a simple oil leak makes sense?

·
Admiral Obvious
1,811 Posts
You my friend need a new turbo, yours shit the bed.

Time to go bigger

1 - 4 of 4 Posts