2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the last few months, I've had a clicking noise come from the rear brakes of my '18 upon application at low speed, say if you're backing out of a driveway. It's been to the dealership 4 times now to get it resolved. The first repair was to peen the tabs on the rear pads, as they weren't fitting in the brackets properly, and were twisting in the bracket when you apply the brakes. That didn't fix it. Next, they replaced the rear caliper brackets, and replaced the pads. It was quiet for a few days, but now the noise has started again.

It's been nothing but issues surrounding the rear brakes on this car since day 1; they replaced the rotors 6 weeks after I bought the car, as they developed quite a gouge from rust build up, as the car had sat for some time on the lot. I'm very appreciative that it's all been looked after under warranty, (the copy of the invoice I signed showed that the brackets/pads and everything was a $600 job, but Mazda picked up the tab), but am frustrated that the issue is still happening, especially given that the car is only a 2018 with 27,000kms (~16,000 miles for my freedom friends) on it. Short of replacing the calipers (which I doubt would accomplish anything anyways), there are no other parts to replace to figure out what the hell is making the noise.

Has anyone else had issues like this? I'd love to hear from you.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Get them to replace the entire back end
Great solution. Kill a fly with an atom bomb.

The rear brakes have always been a real trouble spot for many of us. I suspect our climate and road salt makes the issue far worse. Things to check:
  • is the parking brake fully disengaging? A common problem.
  • I've found that the rear calipers like to build up corrosion between shims and the pad tab channels. This has caused me two sets of pads already. It makes the channel too tight and causes the brake pads to seize. Knowing this now, I clean out the corrosion with a bastard file and put a thin layer of grease in there under the shims.
  • with clicking noises, possibly debris caught between pads and rotors? I've had a stone get stuck in there in the past with a different car. Made a glorious racket.
  • are they using the correct parts? Mexico and Japan built pads are not interchangeable. I'm not sure if you could even make them fit, but still something to consider.
  • maybe another issue entirely? Check the suspension and rear wheel bearings for excessive play or other such faults. Push down hard on the rear end of your car and see if you can reproduce the problem.

·
Registered
57 Posts
This gen really blows through rear brakes.
Toronto here, and wife's rear brakes are squeeling ever so slightly when coming to a stop...
@70,000km at the moment, and this car has gone through a set of pads earlier, then a set of rotors/pads this past summer.
PITA

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
  • is the parking brake fully disengaging? A common problem.
  • I've found that the rear calipers like to build up corrosion between shims and the pad tab channels. This has caused me two sets of pads already. It makes the channel too tight and causes the brake pads to seize. Knowing this now, I clean out the corrosion with a bastard file and put a thin layer of grease in there under the shims.
  • with clicking noises, possibly debris caught between pads and rotors? I've had a stone get stuck in there in the past with a different car. Made a glorious racket.
  • are they using the correct parts? Mexico and Japan built pads are not interchangeable. I'm not sure if you could even make them fit, but still something to consider.
  • maybe another issue entirely? Check the suspension and rear wheel bearings for excessive play or other such faults. Push down hard on the rear end of your car and see if you can reproduce the problem.
1) My car has the electronic parking brake
2) I always service them (clean/re-lube) seasonally
3) They are using the correct pads; the manual parking brake cars have a different pad design.
4) They've checked every possible suspension nut/bolt, so I'm really at a loss.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
1) My car has the electronic parking brake
2) I always service them (clean/re-lube) seasonally
3) They are using the correct pads; the manual parking brake cars have a different pad design.
4) They've checked every possible suspension nut/bolt, so I'm really at a loss.
1. Just because it's electronic doesn't mean it's disengaging as it should.
2. Have you pulled up the shims to clean corrosion? This stuff is deceiving, it appears to be mild and very flat until you start removing it.

Besides that, I think we need to figure out how to reproduce the noise with the car on jacks so you can find the exact source of the noise. Check behind the dust shields for any debris that could be hitting the brakes. Sometimes a rock will hit the dust shield while driving and cause it to hit the brakes or other parts.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1. Just because it's electronic doesn't mean it's disengaging as it should.
2. Have you pulled up the shims to clean corrosion? This stuff is deceiving, it appears to be mild and very flat until you start removing it.

Besides that, I think we need to figure out how to reproduce the noise with the car on jacks so you can find the exact source of the noise. Check behind the dust shields for any debris that could be hitting the brakes. Sometimes a rock will hit the dust shield while driving and cause it to hit the brakes or other parts.
They literally had everything apart and put new pads and caliper brackets on it 2 weeks ago. I can still see all the brake lube and everything they used.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
They literally had everything apart and put new pads and caliper brackets on it 2 weeks ago. I can still see all the brake lube and everything they used.
Still, something is not right. This is process of elimination. Rule out everything that could possibly cause your problem until you're left with the root cause.

I'd love to tear into it myself but I don't think that's possible....

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just noticed a mild clicking couple days ago when applying brakes. I was driving with window down, and I could hear it. Couldn't hear with window up. I replaced the brakes 6-9 months ago. Next time I do an oil change, tire rotation I'll check it out.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I had this issue on my '14...ending up being a bad rear caliper. After several tear downs and re-lubes, I finally replaced the whole caliper and the clicking went away.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts