2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has been mentioned before on here. You turn of the ignition, get out the car, and you hear the clickety-click of relays.
ISTR reading on here that there was a service bulliten for this.
Well, Ive just picked up my Mazda 3 after its 2nd service (not quite 21000 miles) and I asked them to look at it. The dealer says its normal and there is no such service bulliten for this. I'm in the UK. Just wondered what other UK or EU based owners experiences are of this particular issue.

I also asked them to update the software in the infotainment system, mine was v33, its now v56, maybe it'll stop sending me down dead-ends now!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Did you every get this fixed, or its actually normal? Ive got a 2018 Maxx Sport and was going to post this, but cannot due to just joining,

Noticed something weird in my 5 week old Mazda 3 Maxx Sport 2018 today, I was standing out of the car when I turned it off usually im sitting in the drivers seat.

Once the car has been turned off, and the engine shuts off, I can hear what sounds like 3 clicks coming from somewhere under the car or in the engine bay, I was standing right near drivers door with the door open.

Anyone able to stand out of their car and turn it off and take a listen in a quiet area? I rang the dealer all Mechanics gone by 4, so can't speak to anyone until tomorrow.

It isnt an exhaust cooling sound, all my cars have had that sound this is a very deliberate 3 clicks, sounds very unlike the crackling or cooling of exhaust system or anything cooling.

I tested the car a few times, turned it on and off, and the 3 clicks are always present. I did read about ford fiesta's doing it and someone posted from their ford owners manual, wondering if its the same kind of thing,

""Note: The automatic transmission performs a series of automated checks
when the ignition is turned to the off position. A slight clicking sound
may be heard and is considered a normal part of operation.""

Cheers

·
Registered
6 Posts
In that post I did read this, “from inside, there is no noise except what sounds like the steering solenoids locking about 2 seconds after shutdown.“

Potentially this is what im hearing? It’s about 2 seconds after engine off but 3 clicks

·
Registered
46 Posts
It's normal. My MX-5 did it, my 3GT does it, my daughter's 3 does it..... My 2004 Chevy Tahoe has an EGR purge solenoid that does something about 5 minutes after the engine turns off and so do other Tahoes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts