2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
youtube.com/watch?v=GQu4Btc9xUg

So my less-than-a-year old Mazda 3 GT is making this clicking noise in colder weather. Has this occurred for anyone else? It has occurred consistently for the past few weeks when I begin driving, and lasts about 20 minutes or so. It seems to only make this noise when the engine is cold/hasn't been used in several hours. Once the car is warmed up, the noise goes away.

My car is currently at the dealer, but they already seem clueless on how to resolve it. Anyone have any ideas for a starting point?

Thanks,

·
Super Moderator
5,985 Posts
Something plastic is rattling because its cold. It goes away when it warms up and expands a bit. Not uncommon in this car. The heat vents tap on things under the dash, the interior trim sometimes rattles, the info screen can sometimes make noises like that etc. Lots of possibilities.

·
Registered
988 Posts
@shadow82x, sorry to hear about your rattles, but be prepared cause this car is a rattle machine sadly.

My humble recommendation is for you to just enjoy your car, put some so music and let it be... because otherwise you'll be chasing a lot of noises like I did, you fix one rattle/noise and then a second one appears...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@shadow82x, sorry to hear about your rattles, but be prepared cause this car is a rattle machine sadly.

My humble recommendation is for you to just enjoy your car, put some so music and let it be... because otherwise you'll be chasing a lot of noises like I did, you fix one rattle/noise and then a second one appears...
I don't mind a little rattle here or there or a light rattle. But this is quite a loud rattle, I'm not sure if that's depicted in my video properly.

·
Registered
468 Posts
that's a really irritating noise

is it from the screen area?

but YES, i too would be insisting it's fixed

check the seat belt receiver for the passenger seat - ours used to rattle against the centre console, but sounded like it was coming from somewhere else

·
Registered
64 Posts
Oh rattles... The Tell Tale Heart of cars. A subtle tick or click will snowball into a mind-numbing noise that will drive you mad.

I have fair experience with rattles. My '08 Impreza was an absolute rattle can. Bits of foam and foam tape can fix many of them. While driving (best to have a buddy give you a hand), press various plastic bits on/around dash, trim etc. You can usually silence them by pressing... and hence locate the source. A bit of foam or foam tape strategically placed in a seam can silence many rattles. Good luck! And know you are not alone.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I apply pressure behind the infotainment system, on the plastic, rubbery surface, the rattling does indeed go away. I let the dealer know this prior but of course they're insisting they have to hear the noise themselves , which allegedly they have a hard time reproducing. Ironic considering it happens to me every. single. morning. This is really frustrating..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So the dealer believes that they have identified the issue and solved it. So far it sounds good, but time will tell. If anyone else runs into this issue, this is what my dealer did:

"RATTLE NOISE WHILE DRIVING BEHIND RADIO AREA ON DASH, INFORTAINMENT UNIT REMOVED AND DRIVEN. WIRING HARNESS FOUND OUT OF PLACE AND VIBRATING ON DASH."

·
Registered
325 Posts
If you want replicate a noise that goes away once you get to the dealer, turn on the air to max on the way there and while driving with the tech

1 - 12 of 12 Posts