2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
I can check for it, should be listed in the warranty information based on the VIN number through the dealer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem. Ticking noise coming from the dashboard. Esp when I turn on AC. Does anybody know what part needs to be replace. Thanks in advance.

·
ZOOM ZOOM
411 Posts
I had mine replaced under my extended warranty at my local Mazda dealership last year. According to the invoice, the part is called the "fresh air intake actuator". The part number is BBY4-61-B60, and it costs $80.10.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This happens to intermittently in my 2013 Mazda 3 Sky and my girlfriend's 2010 Mazda 3. I told the dealership about it but they say they can't do anything unless it's actually see/hear the problem. It doesn't happen very often to either of us, maybe once a month for a couple of hours, but it is really annoying.

·
Registered
151 Posts
This happens to intermittently in my 2013 Mazda 3 Sky and my girlfriend's 2010 Mazda 3. I told the dealership about it but they say they can't do anything unless it's actually see/hear the problem. It doesn't happen very often to either of us, maybe once a month for a couple of hours, but it is really annoying.
2010 Mazda3 here. I had this happen a couple of times and I traced is to some debris caught in the fan vent. I tried to clear it by setting the fan to high (4) and changing the vent adjustments -- high, low, etc -- and that seemed to clear it.

I don't know if the debris got blown out or was broken into smaller pieces.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had the actuator motor issue and replaced it myself. I took the bad one apart to see if I could figure out what the issue is.

All of the gears were in good shape and still had a decent amount of factory grease left. Looks like the problem is the motor. I hooked it up to an arduino and it sounds terrible when it's running as opposed to the new motor which runs silently. All of the images were taken after i stripped the factory grease to inspect the gears.

I'll post a video later.

Attachments

·
Demon Spawn
758 Posts
you guys with this issue, I am wondering if this is not partially due to lack of cabin air filter change. These are easily overlooked, and kind of a pain on our cars, so they may get overlooked or not done even by the mazda techs themselves, if the cabin air filter clogs it still has to get air so it will just suck in that dirt and crap all in the filter after awhile. I bought my 2011 used last year and the cabin air filter in it was disgusting. I don't think it had ever been changed and the car was at 62k miles when I checked it. the manual recommends changing the cabin air filter every 24k miles, might be worth doing/checking if you have this issue, may help prevent more.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the actuator motor issue and replaced it myself. I took the bad one apart to see if I could figure out what the issue is.

All of the gears were in good shape and still had a decent amount of factory grease left. Looks like the problem is the motor. I hooked it up to an arduino and it sounds terrible when it's running as opposed to the new motor which runs silently. All of the images were taken after i stripped the factory grease to inspect the gears.

I'll post a video later.
Is this actuator accessible through the glove box?

·
Registered
4 Posts
It would be a lot more helpful if the actual video of removing/installing the blend door actuator is posted, if not, some detailed descriptions can also be helpful. There are quite a number of existing threads describing the issue which should be well understood by now. My 2010 Mazda 3 makes the same clicking noise when the Air Refresh Circulation button is turned OFF. I had the cabin air filter replaced where I found a lot of leaves and junk, but that did not help at all. Mazda Dealer estimate is $750, mostly labor cost to open the dashboard.

For now, I just leave the Air Refresh Circulation button ON all the time. The vents still blow properly to the correct places, so it is not so bad to live with.

Also one important details is how to align the new actuator hand with the current position of the blend door.

·
Registered
151 Posts
... I had the cabin air filter replaced where I found a lot of leaves and junk, but that did not help at all. Mazda Dealer estimate is $750, mostly labor cost to open the dashboard.
2010 Mazda3 here. I changed the cabin filter myself without removing the glove box. The video shows how although it's a bit hard to make out some details, and you need to stick your head in an awkward space (passenger side foot well).

https://youtu.be/iJeUX7r_5J4

Filter, OEM or after-market, is about $20. First time took me an hour, but now I can do it less than 30 minutes (I take the time to vacuum the compartment). Yes, 24 months is about right. I cooridinate the change with my engine air filter so my car and I can both breathe better. :laugh2:

·
Registered
4 Posts
$750 is dealer estimate for the Blend Door Actuator. The Air Cabin Filter (double filter) can be replaced without removing the glove box, but it is a bummer job compared with the like of Honda Civic which is a breeze. A very weird Mazda 3 design in deed.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts