2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

Clear Bra / Paint protection

11K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  Bishamon 
#1 ·
What product is everyone using for the "Cear Bra"?

I hear 3M Scotchgard and Expel are the best.

Looking to get hood/bumper/mirrors/door handle cups done.

Thanks.

#2 ·
I'm curious too about people's opinions on the best products in this category.

And what about covering the whole body? Someone I know is getting an Audi RS7 in a few weeks and, understandably wanting to protect that thing as much as possible, just asked me if I knew anything about covering the whole car. Is it worth it? Noticeable?

#11 ·
The clear bra doesn't go on the bumper. It goes on the metal body panels (fenders and hood) as they are more likely to chip. The plastic bumper gives, and is much less prone to chipping.

#4 ·
Honestly any name brand bra is pretty much the same. As long as they come with a lifetime warranty you're good to go. The bra isn't there to keep the car clean, it's to prevent stone chips.

In Alberta they don't salt the roads because iit's too cold. Instead they lay sand/gravel mix and you'll notice that a lot of cars here have badly cracked windshields. The bumper on my Skyline isn't protected and it looks like someone took a shotgun to the black paint. My Mazda is protected on the bumper and the first 24" of the hood. If money wasn't an issue I'd wrap the whole car in it.

3m also makes a spray on bra too. Not as protective (rated at 6/10 vs a real bra at 9/10) but still highly effective and good for custom applications.

Reactions: swerv0428
#6 ·
True the edges do collect dirt. But normal washing and TLC gets rid of it.

Reactions: swerv0428
#7 ·
I am going to get the Xpel paint protection film installed next weekend. Will probably do the entire hood, bumper and fenders. Costs about 1250 but I know it will look good as the guy gets amazing reviews from higher end clients. He said he would also put some on the rocker panels and the top of the bumper as well, so I don't have to buy the Mazda piece that goes on the bumper for my hatch. I had 3M products installed on a couple of my other cars, they were pretty good, I never owned the car for that long though so I can't say how long it would have lasted. From what I know though, 3M has a warranty of about 5 years, Xpel has a 10 year warranty. Which is mainly why I am going with it. I figure if I can get 10 years out of it, then it's well worth the money, especially if the whole front end is protected.

#9 ·
Avery Nano Fusion is really nice. Can`t tell theres plastic wrap on the car.

#16 ·
:thumbup 1:

#13 ·
Paint Protection Film

kjpierce,

The first thing to understand about paint protection films is that they are not all created equal. Different warranties, some have clear coats, some add texture, and some may yellow over time. It's important to choose a film that is stain resistant (non-yellowing), easy to clean, will match your finish and gloss perfectly (no texture) and one with a good warranty.

Here is an HD install video and photos of a speed3 getting paint protection film installed.

Next, it's important to find an good, certified installer. Look for an experienced installer, and don't be afraid to ask to see examples of their work so you can see the quality of their work for yourself.

Once you've chosen the film, and installer, you'll need to decide if you want to do a hand cut (custom cut) or pre-cut pattern install (computer/plotter cut). The benefits of a pre-cut pattern are overwhelming in favor over a hand cut kit. Utilizing a computer cut kit takes all of the guess work out of the lines for the installer, they'll know exactly where to line it up, making the install quicker and more efficient. More importantly, there won't be a need for cutting on the car which risks damaging the paint when trimming edges.

Hope this helps.

#18 ·
That type of bra used to be really popular 20+ years ago, but they tend to damage the paint. Dirt gets trapped beneath and there is enough movement to cause abrasion and scuffing. They can also trap moisture, which isn't good. On the other hand, if you were planning another trip up north, you could put it on and then remove it after. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.