2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

Clear Bra & Detailing - w/ Pics

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  c0derr0r 
#1 · (Edited)
DETAILING:

The car was on the dealer lot for only 7 days after it was unloaded from its trip from Japan. They just removed the film and I advised the dealer NO waxes and NO car washes. I took delivery of the car and did the following detail work:

1. Washed Car w/Dawn Dish Soap (removes waxes and grease)
  2. Clay Barred the entire car
  3. Washed with car soap
  4. Put on Zaino Car Polish
  5. Put on 3 Coats of Zaino Car Wax (12 hours between coats)

CLEAR BRA:

Prior to polishing the car, I had the clear bra installed on a wax free surface. I had the clear bra installed on the front bumper, the hood, the fenders and the side mirrors. It's completely transparent and gives it a gloss look. It protects those areas from bugs, rocks and whatever else the roads throw at it. Of course it can't stop a very large rock but it's tough.

You can only see the lines if you look at it from certain angles and you have to be looking for it. Otherwise it is invisible. Cost me $590 installed. If you are in the Arizona area and want to get this clear bra, I can PM you the guy who does awesome work.

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

See less See more
#3 ·
Never had to use clear bra before so I was wondering the following if you dont mind

looks awesome, .. but in a couple of years wouldnt the paint be effected? I mean maybe the paint that does not have clear bra fades a little and the color under the bra stays sharp? that would suck. or do you have to remove the bra and apply paint protection regularly and put it back on to keep uniform color ? also would you be able to machine wash it (regular automatic car washes)? or that is off limits when you have clear bra applied?

#4 · (Edited)
The paint should not fade if properly waxed and cared for. I've had a car out in the Arizona sun for 90k miles/6 years and it did not fade. If you don't wax it and let the paint go, then yes, you would probably notice a slight difference in 3-5 years.

The clear bra can withstand pressure washers but it's probably not a good idea to be blasting it on a constant basis, especially at an angle that can peel it back.

Pressure washing is not that great for cars in the long run because it really damages the clear coat. There is enough force that it can damage and take off some clear coat on the car, especially nowadays with the thinner clear coats. I wouldn't make a habit of pressure washing a car and hand washing is better for the paint. A pressure washer if contacted with your skin will literally start to peel off the layers of skin/epidermis and exposed tissue and muscle. There is a tremendous amount of blasting force on the clear coat finish.

Of course pressure washing is better than a brush car wash. Those things destroy the clear coat with thousands of scratches. Do it by hand and your paint will be happier plus it's good exercise. Washing your car by hand keeps you skinny :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.