2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
-This is interest ONLY for now. For Gen2 only for now until there is clarification that brackets would work for gen 1 as well.

Background: Cipher Auto Makes universal racing seats, harness, brackets, etc. I contacted them because the review I read were good (as far was quality/construction goes). I wanted to personally test/inspect their 2000 series seats since they are the "better" ones. I found them to be of good quality as other reviews had mentioned. Bad news is they do not make brackets for our cars. They offered to develop them (my car being the test vehicle) if there was enough interest. For right now they will offer 15% off on a package deal (bracket and seats). SO, roughly $875 for a pair of seats/brackets shipped. They will also be making harness' as well.

Overall Impressions: As mentioned, I tested/inspected these seats personally I have to admit the quality was very good, especially for being "budget" seats. The seats designs are knock off's, so I don't want anyone to compare their seats to higher end seats like Recaro's ...but the materials/design/construction were very nice. They use TUV approved materials.

Specific seat impressions: Please note that I am 5'11 and 185 lbs

http://www.cipherauto.com/racing-seats

CPA-2001 impression: Look great. Audi style seat knock off. PU leatherette was soft and not thin. Seat was medium in firmness. Both shoulder and base support was average; nothing special.

CPA-2002. My personal favorite. Corbeau RRB knock off. PU leatherette was soft and not thin. Cushion material was soft and very comfortable (the most comfortable IMO). More or less a bucket seat feel. Very good shoulder/back and thigh support.

CPA-2003: They didn't have this on display but the back is the same is the same at the CPA -2002 and seat portion is similar to CPA-2008. I think this will make for a killer since Cipher auto said the thigh support design is similar the CAP-2008 but with softer material.

CPA-2007. I was not impressed with these. They were too large for me. I think these would be good for the bigger sized fellas.

CPA-2008. Cipher Auto said this was their latest 2000 series design. Recaro seat knock off. Heavy duty, and you can feel it. Seat is a good 10lbs heavier. This is a firm and narrower seat. Back/shoulder support was similar to the CPA-2002, but maybe a touch less supportive. The thigh support was the most aggressive, maybe a bit too aggressive for my taste since the cushion is firm. This seat forces your legs to be positioned closer together.

If you are interested, please post up. If you need more info or if I forgot to mention something, let me know so I can add it to the thread.

Update: 1000 series would also be in the group buy (if there is one)
-If there is enough interest, they will develop brackets in June (made by a former employee at Wedge)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i doubled checked the planted bracket site and they only have a part number for gen1. ... if guys want to go see the seats yourselves just call them and setup a day/time ... i know they had some fixed seats but not sure which ones were out on the floor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts