2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I love the 2015 i Touring so far, and in looking around the rest of the interior before I purchased I noted that most of the metal-look trim, even on the Commander control, was a satin appearance that doesn't seem to reflect sunlight to unwanted spots (i.e. under my sunglasses into my eyes). I haven't noted any particular problems so far with the shiny black trim either.

That leaves the steering wheel Mazda emblem, which is unfortunately polished chrome. Driving with the sun coming in from the left rear in the afternoon (and maybe some other angles, that's just the one I know for sure) means reflection into my eyes, as I noted all too clearly yesterday. Argh!

Any thoughts on how to handle that? Can the emblem even be removed for some kind of treatment or is my only chance to try to paint it or otherwise cover it while it's on there? Appearance mods really aren't my thing, but since I intend to have this car a long time I'm going to need some solution for this chrome on the steering wheel. I hope there's some way to do this that will look decent.

·
Registered
104 Posts
That emblem isn't made to be removed as it's part of the air bag. I don't know if your certain you have you steering at the best angle for you yet but you might try playing with that to see if it removes the glare. Other than that painting is your only option.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would just vinyl wrap it, i have the same problem when my sunroof is open. Luckily I do vinyl work on the side and have some realistic looking 3M carbon Fiber vinyl laying around and might try to wrap it. Best part is if you don't like it, want to change it, of if it starts getting funky, it comes right off with little residue if any left behind, preserving the original finish for the most part.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Just wrap it. I did mine in carbon fiber 3M. It's tedious as you cannot remove it and it took me three times, I had to peel it twice. Make sure you have a very good, sharp exacto knife to cut it out but be careful not to cut your wheel.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. Wouldn't mind suggestions for wrap product if anyone has them. Manufacturer/type/where to find it, that sort of thing is what I was thinking. Am a total newbie to this sort of thing so whatever you think would be easy for a total newbie to work with. ;-)

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
3M Di-Noc Carbon Fiber Vinyl. Amazing product. I bought a 10 piece pre cut kit for the outside pillars and plan on buying a roll in the spring to wrap some other parts.

Reactions: MazdaHatchback
1 - 8 of 8 Posts