2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is what I've begun to notice recently. At warm idle (so the lowest idle speed) in my 2015 i Touring hatch (so 2.0 engine) when I turn all the other noise generating stuff off like audio I can hear a sort of faint chirping sound. It doesn't sound like it should be natural to the engine idle. I figured it would turn out to be in the climate fan, but it does it with that off as well.

Last time I heard a sound similar to this several years ago in my old car it turned out to be a loose heat shield rattling. It is the sort of sound that rattling thin metal could make. But I'm guessing if I bring it up they're going to look at me like I'm insane. At some point I will try to pinpoint a location better, but has anyone else with a 2.0 heard this noise at low idle?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Try recording the sound if you can pinpoint exactly where it comes from.

There are no reason to be ashamed to bring it back to have it checked. It's new and under warranty.

My old Matrix made a lot of clicking note which turned out to be normal for the 1zz engines with variable valve timing with intelligence (VVT-i).

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha, thanks. Not really ashamed to bring it up, just that if I don't know where it's coming from then we'll have to go through all kinds of stupid stuff like remove everything from cabin that's not nailed down, etc. I remember dealing with that in my last new car 15 years ago, and that was even when I KNEW what was doing it.

What I haven't tried to spend time doing yet is get out and carefully listen while the car is running. I hear it better from inside usually though because it cuts out most of the rest of the ambient noise. We'll see.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good day. I have the same problem. Car idling, subtle sound as if it were let in air ventilation. I hear it only at idle. When you add more gas at idle so the sound stops.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts