2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This usually happens when the a/c is on but in this case it was happening when I hit the gas pedal. Anyone know how to fix this?

:eek:fftopic:

·
Your friendly SpeedPunk
582 Posts
Hmmm...almost sounds like a bearing squeal. How many miles do u have on your car?

U really just need to start looking around under the hood. If u are able to, take off the serpentine belt and check all of your pulleys for excessive play. Grab each at 12 and 6 and push/pull to check for play. See if they all spin freely too. That could get you somewhere.

Is there much engine flex when u are revving it? Maybe something is rubbing under load when the engine flexes, or a mount is worn.

Hopefully u can figure it out. Ive never encountered this chirp, but give it time and someone who has will prolly chime in. Good luck man!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: louishimself

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm...almost sounds like a bearing squeal. How many miles do u have on your car?

U really just need to start looking around under the hood. If u are able to, take off the serpentine belt and check all of your pulleys for excessive play. Grab each at 12 and 6 and push/pull to check for play. See if they all spin freely too. That could get you somewhere.

Is there much engine flex when u are revving it? Maybe something is rubbing under load when the engine flexes, or a mount is worn.

Hopefully u can figure it out. Ive never encountered this chirp, but give it time and someone who has will prolly chime in. Good luck man!

There's like 34k on it.

How what do you mean by check for play? Sorry, I'm not too familiar with these things.. And what is engine flex?

Thanks a lot for your help! :beerchug 1:

·
Your friendly SpeedPunk
582 Posts
There's like 34k on it.

How what do you mean by check for play? Sorry, I'm not too familiar with these things.. And what is engine flex?

Thanks a lot for your help! :beerchug 1:
To check for play:
Same principle like checking for wheel play if u think ur wheel bearings or ball joints are worn.

Face your tire. Pretend its jacked up off the ground. Grab the tire at 12 o'clock and pull toward you. Grab with ur other hand at 6 o'clock and push away from you. Try to rock it back and forth like this. U should get little to no movement.
So now do this with each pulley. U can use one hand, and dont limit urself to just 12 and 6. Check all around. If there is any excessive movement, the pulley could have a bad bearing.

I know there is some slight movement on my idler pulley on my Ranger, think its standard on most idler pulleys tho.

As for engine flex, its when the engine pysically moves when u step on the gas. It would "flex" toward the firewall. If u have someone rev it a couple times while u watch the engine, ull see what I mean.

Hope this helps!

·
Celest Zoom-Zoom
4,919 Posts
I'm wondering if it may be a engine or transmission mount. Since its happening when you press the gas which is when the most strain is on the mounts. I did have a similar problem with my altima which turned out to be a idler pulley. It doesn't sound like your typical pulley squeal though.

·
Registered
243 Posts
A/C belt slipping a little? My old Honda made similar noise during summer when A/C was on for a while on a very hot day. The belt would slip a little occasionally and make that "chirp" sound.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts