2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started to hear a chirping noise coming from the engine once the car heated up. Turns out it's the alternator? Apparently it's charging fine for now but when its getting hot it causes a chirp noise, and it's fairly loud. The quote I got said that an aftermarket alternator is around $350 and a Mazda dealership one is $600? Anyone know if this is accurate or someplace that may sell belts and alternators for cheaper so I can just replace it myself.

My car is a 2014 Mazda3 iSport sedan.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Check out RockAuto dot com...
105.00 remanned to 165.00 new
This is for the W/O i/e-loop
All the best
Gary

·
Registered
37 Posts
Started to hear a chirping noise coming from the engine once the car heated up. Turns out it's the alternator? Apparently it's charging fine for now but when its getting hot it causes a chirp noise, and it's fairly loud. The quote I got said that an aftermarket alternator is around $350 and a Mazda dealership one is $600? Anyone know if this is accurate or someplace that may sell belts and alternators for cheaper so I can just replace it myself.

My car is a 2014 Mazda3 iSport sedan.

Your right dealer prices are so high it's scary sometimes, I was told about this place about a year ago and since then I buy all my factory O.E. parts from them. check out this link for your alternator you'll need your vin to make sure you get correct part but trust me it's worth the hassle. https://www.mazdapartsprime.com/Pag...(I+Sport,4+Cyl+2.0+L+GAS)&Keywords=alternator

·
Super Moderator
5,578 Posts
Don't throw parts at the car until you know what the problem really is. Have it checked by a competent professional first. Chirping sounds can be any one of a number of things. Might just need a new belt.:dunno:

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Don't throw parts at the car until you know what the problem really is. Have it checked by a competent professional first. Chirping sounds can be any one of a number of things. Might just need a new belt.:dunno:
Bingo. Replacing parts without confirming the cause of the problem is about as good as throwing a can of bolts at your car. Not sure if that is the case here, but people seem to want to do this for some reason. Then they wonder why they've spent a small fortune on parts only to still have the same problem.

That being said, a chirping alternator (if it is confirmed to he the alternator) is either the belt or a bearing in the alternator. You can confirm with a mechanics stethoscope. If its a bearing and if you have a second car you can use for a while, you might be able to find a shop to replace the bearing. Its not a hard job and bearings are cheap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts