2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just hand washed my new 3 this past weekend and noticed a TON of rock chips on the lower front bumper and quite a few (10ish) on the drivers door. I cannot believe that a 4 month old car with 4,500 miles could possibly have this much damage already.
I have had cars up to 200K miles before that didnt look so bad. What the hell is Mazda painting these with, spray paint?

So I sent the dealer and Mazda an email Sunday explaining how disappointed I am in the quality of the paint job and asking what they can do for me. So far, as expected, no response from either.

What needs to happen is the chips need to be fixed and then a clear bra put on so it doesnt chip again in another 4 months.

This is GARBAGE!

·
Silver Demon
837 Posts
I definitely recommend the clear bra.....I got the 3M one put on mine like 10 days after I got it and it's so worth it...Cost me about $500 installed.

·
Registered
655 Posts
mazda will tell you "Sucks to be you"

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea, I know.... sucks to be them though because I will recommend everyone gets something other than a Mazda 3 unless they want to spend an additional $500-$750 putting plastic over their new paint job just to protect it.

I understand its a low price car but come on...ive been looking closely at new Kia Fortes and Hyundais in parking lots over the past couple days and though they ride just as low to the ground as the 3 there are no chips...

·
Registered
856 Posts
The Mazda3 is neither a rock magnet nor a pussy magnet. It didn't magically attract rocks to your hood & bumper any more-so than a Hyundai would. It's the reality of driving on public roads and that is why clear bras exist.

Many have complained about how soft Mazda's paint is but I think it is a different issue to fault them for the amount of rocks flying at your car. Stop tailing big-rigs and you won't get as many.

·
Banned
1,130 Posts
Yea, I know.... sucks to be them though because I will recommend everyone gets something other than a Mazda 3 unless they want to spend an additional $500-$750 putting plastic over their new paint job just to protect it.

I understand its a low price car but come on...ive been looking closely at new Kia Fortes and Hyundais in parking lots over the past couple days and though they ride just as low to the ground as the 3 there are no chips...

·
Registered
155 Posts
I agree it sucks how "soft" the paint is when you open the doors all you see is scratches in tlhe door well from heels of my shoes and friends shoes. Totally agree that its a major bummer after only having this car for less then a year. And pretty sure there is no clear car bra for the door wells!!!

·
1,091 Posts
I got a rock chip next to the front emblem on the first drive home. c'est la vie.

Is this the first time you've washed the car after 4 months and 4500 miles? Or did you wash it at 4200 miles and did not notice any rock chips, and 300 miles later, it looks like some kids shot your car up with airsoft guns? Or were you taking it to shoddy carwash places?

I can't imagine this sort of thing being covered by the dealership. It's what I expect as normal wear and tear; normal being relative to what environment you're in, how you're driving, what you're following, etc. Clearbra or bra in general will mitigate this, but that's up to you to do. Just like floorseats, rear bumper cover/step plates, seat covers, etc.

Quite frankly, if someone like you attempted to dissuade me from buying a car because you experienced rock chips, I'd almost write you off completely.

·
zoom zoom
737 Posts
well i have a few small ones on my front, going to get some touch up. had chips on all my cars. my 2006 mustang was the worse. get a black car if u dont want to see the chips

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
1. I don't tailgate anyone. In fact, I drive the same way on the same roads I have driven my last 6 cars and never had this issue with those. Don't blindly defend the Mazda just because you own one. If its crappy paint, its crappy paint.
2. Its not just a couple of chips, its dozens easily.
3. First time I have washed the car by hand. I bought it in November and generally dont hand wash with snow on the ground. I went to the touchless spray washes during the winter. No brushes ever.
4. I dont think a black car would hide chips, i think a white car would be best considering under the paint is bare metal.
5. Thanks to the people who had positive, constructive things to say.

Pictures...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1146320/FrLeft3.JPG
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1146320/FrRight.jpg.JPG

·
Registered
213 Posts
well i have a few small ones on my front, going to get some touch up. had chips on all my cars. my 2006 mustang was the worse. get a black car if u dont want to see the chips
I got a black one - chip on the drivers door shows gray primer. Black is not better IMO.

3800 miles, and no chips on hood - but the one in the middle of the door is odd. Must be sideways guided/seeking rocks. :)

·
Registered
607 Posts
I agree it sucks how "soft" the paint is when you open the doors all you see is scratches in tlhe door well from heels of my shoes and friends shoes. Totally agree that its a major bummer after only having this car for less then a year. And pretty sure there is no clear car bra for the door wells!!!
You can buy it in rolls, anywhere from .4" - 8" and bigger I believe.

·
Registered
471 Posts
i would say silver to match the metal.

as it is a 'cheaper' car than some, you may expect that the paint won't be as thick as it is on, say, a mercedes. but the bitch of the deal is that it happens and that's what touch up paint is for.

and don't get me wrong..i HATE imperfections of any kind on my car. :argh 1: but reality of it is...you can't get away from it. if you don't want any chips...just don't pull it out of the garage.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yea thats what im going to try for, if they even write back. You can see the pictures of the bumper and then the drivers door has about a dozen even larger chips as well. Some are mid way up the door. I honestly wouldnt even think twice if there were under 10 chips because i know its part of driving but this is nuts.

Repaint and me doing the bra would be perfectly acceptable to me. Ill let y'all know how i make out...if they even reply.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
633 Posts
Listen up Mazda paint is no worse or better than any other car maker. I have a friend has an 07 mazda 3, she commutes 100 miles round trip every day and has zero chips, reason is, she keeps a good distance from cars in front.
I have another friend has an 08 lexus ES 300 he lives on a gravel road and his front end, rockers and bottom of the doors are pebble dashed. So you would think a Lexus would have better paint right,wrong!

Pat.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts