2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2015 mazda3 automatic, 90k miles.

was driving home as usual when the car started shaking a little like i was going over rumble strips.
then a whole bunch of lights came on the dash.
the ones i remember were the traction control, low tire pressure, and check engine lights.

pulled over and restarted car.
no lights on dash.
drove a mile and same thing happened.

got it towed home.
going to advance auto to get a odb scanner when it opens in the morning.

i had no problems with the car till this happened.
anyone have any idea whats going on???

edit:
The car's Infotainment Center had some info

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've had a similar issue on my 2014 M3 without the rumbles. Given the number of miles you have the TPMS sensors may need to be replaced as the batteries have liley died. I think I made it 120k before it happened to me. About $35/each to get done at Walmart. Price can vary. A bit of a PITA to DIY if you don't have a good jack/lift or want that much work.

The car feels like it rumbles when traction control takes over. I've had that happen about 3 times usually in nasty wet weather when I turned rather sharply.

One of the best things I ever did was get my own ODB scanner, only $12 from amazon, paired with Torque on my phone.You can get the codes form the free version of Torque. Though the free check at the local auto parts seller etc is useful.

·
Super Moderator
6,648 Posts
I've had a similar issue on my 2014 M3 without the rumbles. Given the number of miles you have the TPMS sensors may need to be replaced as the batteries have liley died. I think I made it 120k before it happened to me. About $35/each to get done at Walmart. Price can vary. A bit of a PITA to DIY if you don't have a good jack/lift or want that much work.

The car feels like it rumbles when traction control takes over. I've had that happen about 3 times usually in nasty wet weather when I turned rather sharply.
If the car is a 2014 model it does not have TPMS sensors in the wheels, so you don't need to replace them. If somebody told you they need to be replaced they are either clueless or just trying to rip you off.
The issue is most likely a bad ABS sensor. Happens a lot with these Mazdas.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,834 Posts
I had something similar happen when I had a 2016 Mazda 3 hatch. It ended up being a loose battery connection. There was even a TSB about it.
CK

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
advance auto's website was down.
so i just went to garage near my house.

they diagnosed it as misfire on cylinder #4.
$660 (including 6% tax) for 4 spark plugs and an ignition coil. :(

on advance auto's site, an ignition coil is $100 but it says i need 4.

·
Super Moderator
6,648 Posts
You might want to get another opinion from somebody more familiar with your car and less eager to take your money. A misfire on cylinder #4 has nothing to do with the TC system, or the TPMS system, or anything else. Usually when those lights come on in conjunction with the check engine light it ends up being a bad ABS sensor, or sometimes a weak battery or charging system. The misfire might be something totally unrelated, or just a function of low battery power.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If the car is a 2014 model it does not have TPMS sensors in the wheels, so you don't need to replace them. If somebody told you they need to be replaced they are either clueless or just trying to rip you off.
The issue is most likely a bad ABS sensor. Happens a lot with these Mazdas.
Thanks, I never actually followed through on the replacement. I just ignored it, and it has gone away. No other issues detected with brakes etc. Have not had a warning my tires are low in ages and traction control has been fine. -I used to have a fantastic mechanic, but well he is under investigation with other matters. ugh. Don't trust anyone else around here. I have cleaned the corrosion off the battery terminals.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
You might want to get another opinion from somebody more familiar with your car and less eager to take your money. A misfire on cylinder #4 has nothing to do with the TC system, or the TPMS system, or anything else. Usually when those lights come on in conjunction with the check engine light it ends up being a bad ABS sensor, or sometimes a weak battery or charging system. The misfire might be something totally unrelated, or just a function of low battery power.
got it back. seems to drive fine with new spark plugs and ignition coil. <* Shrug *>
mechanic said sometimes when there's an engine problem, traction control gets turned off thus why i felt like i was going over rumble strips while driving.
edit: Or maybe it was the misfires that was causing the shaking??

here's the repair bill ($650).
It included an induction cleaning (bgk injection cleaner and ???), and a new air filter. (Both of which i didnt know about.)
He just said the estimate was $660 for everything and i didnt ask what everything was. Could have saved $200. :(

Looks like not much retail markup on parts.
ie: i can get iridium spark plugs (NGK 92274 LKAR7AHX-S Ruthenium HX Spark Plug?) for $15/each and an ignition coil for $100 at Advance Auto.
(but i can get the air filter at half that price.)

What really killed me was the labor. $188 to diagnose the problem?! :(
also, the shop supplies... $50... ugg

Just happy to get it back the same day because i needed it for a road trip tomorrow. (no, the garage didnt know that.)

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Something seems off with this. Missfires don't exactly just happen on these cars without a good reason like really bad fuel. Are you getting excess black soot on the back of your car. Are the exhaust tips black? How many miles on the car?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Believe it or not, but I had similar issue with my CX-5 - many unrelated one with another indicators lit at the same time and lack of power on low RPM.
The dealer said that the reason is failed turbo! ?
The car was under warranty, so they replaced it for free... After the replacement the symptoms never came back...

·
Registered
2 Posts
2015 mazda3 automatic, 90k miles.

was driving home as usual when the car started shaking a little like i was going over rumble strips.
then a whole bunch of lights came on the dash.
the ones i remember were the traction control, low tire pressure, and check engine lights.

pulled over and restarted car.
no lights on dash.
drove a mile and same thing happened.

got it towed home.
going to advance auto to get a odb scanner when it opens in the morning.

i had no problems with the car till this happened.
anyone have any idea whats going on???

edit:
The car's Infotainment Center had some info
View attachment 273677
View attachment 273678
Just had the same issues with a 2016 CX-5. I used the handheld computer and indicated #1 miss fire P0302. I went deeper into the computer and also found Tire Pressure, Traction control and a blinking check engine light all with a related low voltage condition. I ordered plugs online from advance auto but they were shipped in a box packed with rotors and no bubble packing. Thoughts of damage ran through my mind at the time.
Long story short, replaced a real cheap battery 2 year old battery which and bought new NGK plugs, problem went away. I checked the Autolites that were in there and 2 were either not firing or firing when the voltage suited them. Stick with NGK plugs(easy 100k plugs), and make sure the battery is holding 100% charge.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Believe it or not, but I had similar issue with my CX-5 - many unrelated one with another indicators lit at the same time and lack of power on low RPM.
The dealer said that the reason is failed turbo! ?
The car was under warranty, so they replaced it for free... After the replacement the symptoms never came back...
Possibly a weak battery, terminal connections and or bad plugs. I had all of the above and replaced the battery and 2 bad plugs. A poor battery will also cause the ignition problems but I did have 2 bad plugs that did not fire at all even with the new battery.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread but I wanted to say thanks - my wife’s 2014 Mazda 3 hatch had these lights come on. I put in new plugs and used a multimeter to test the resistance of each coil pack.

The coil packs are 4 pin, so I just did a handful of resistance tests (pin 1-4, 1-3. 1-2, then 2-3, 2-4, then pins 3-4) - wrote down all of the readings and found that one of the coil packs was bad. I ordered a new set from Amazon and the new ones came with only three pins. The second pin was missing on the new set, for anyone keeping notes.

Rough idle went away and the TPMS and traction control lights went off, but the check engine light stayed on tho. After a short drive the other lights came back on.

I took it to Oreilly and had them to an OBD scan and there was one more issue: the brake light switch was bad. It was a $20 part with a lifetime warranty. Took longer to swap out than the coil packs since it’s in a weird spot.

No more lights! Total bill: $20 switch, $72 coil packs, $29 for new plugs and $10 for a new air filter. (I had also changed the oil, but I’m not counting that.) It’s right as rain.

(forgot to mention: I had a little corrosion on the battery terminals and cleaned that up as well)

2014 Mazda 3 iTouring Hatch, 6spd manual with 50k miles.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had something similar happen when I had a 2016 Mazda 3 hatch. It ended up being a loose battery connection. There was even a TSB about it.
CK
Happened to me today. Engine light,Tire pressure light, traction control light.Car began to rumble. I began to freak out.

loose battery cable is all it was. I gave a nice fellow a jumpstart two days ago.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts