2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
2018 Mazda6 Signature
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, well something motivated me to finished the front of my car today. Painted the non-chrome fog housing covers and wrapped the grill -- both gloss black

Sorry for the "eh" quality photos of the finished product... ran out of daylight.

Attachments

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Getting classier! I took the liberty of a little crop/enhancement so I could see it better.

Looking real good.

Questions please @Chazzy J...

1) Re the fog bezel painting: I too have been planning on gloss black painting the raw-plastic fog bezels. Have seen posts that say it is easiest to remove them by, from the front, facing them, using a trim tool around their edges and popping them out, while another post talked about going underneath, prying backwards the inner fender liner, then pushing the bezel out forward from the back side.

Which method did you use please and any comments/suggestions?

2)Re your wrapping the chrome trim: I so like that mod! What vinyl did you use please? Link to where I could similarly purchase it?

Your car keeps looking better!

Thank you.

·
Registered
720 Posts
That looks great! If I had a different color than white or black, I'd black all the chrome as well.

·
2018 Mazda6 Signature
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
2018 Mazda6 Signature
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
@Road Trip

Thank you sir!

So I'll be up front first -- I've done better jobs in the past; both on painting and wrap. My challenge now is I'm 10 years older and time and patience is just not something I can be afforded with a 2 year old and a fiancée that works a completely opposite schedule as me.

1) Regarding the Fog Light bezels. It is raw plastic as you said. Prep work is going to be the difference (as with any paint job) -- something I didn't spend a great deal of time on. They still have a nice A3F gloss black to them, but as you get closer, you can tell I only spent an hour priming, painting, and clearcoating -- again, I just don't have time right now. Got it as good as I could...

As for removing them, you have a 2017, so I'm not 100% certain on how yours are mounted in there, but for 2016, there's absolutely no need to go in from behind. Simply stick a flat head screw driver in the top left under the turn signal, wrap a terry cloth around the remaining screwdriver and pry up until you can get your index finger underneath the top left part. Then just continue to pull with your finger until it pops out. You're not going to break any tabs, so I wouldn't be too nervous about that.

2) As for wrap. I wish I had more time to do this, because really time is the only thing that is going to make it look perfect. It looks ok, but not having done wrap in 10 years, I would have preferred to been afforded more time. I see myself doing this again if time presents itself, but it looks good from afar, lol. In the end, I have spare chrome pieces in the basement. I would really prefer to strip the chrome and paint. But who knows when that'll be.

Regardless, it was very good wrap -- Gloss Black 3M wrap -- I picked it up off of Amazon.

Reactions: Road Trip

·
Registered
900 Posts
Looking good. I had originally scuffed and painted over my chrome fog rings. they got chipped up and looked bad.
I recently just bought cheap black rings to replace them with as I don't care much if it is glossy down there.

the Black V though I wish I had. I really need to find a local shop to do this for me.
I am also toying with the idea of buying a new chrome V to get it sanded and color matched.
But if I do that I would need to get the MIT grill as well.

·
2018 Mazda6 Signature
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looking good. I had originally scuffed and painted over my chrome fog rings. they got chipped up and looked bad.
I recently just bought cheap black rings to replace them with as I don't care much if it is glossy down there.

the Black V though I wish I had. I really need to find a local shop to do this for me.
I am also toying with the idea of buying a new chrome V to get it sanded and color matched.
But if I do that I would need to get the MIT grill as well.
If I had time to take the front bumper off, I'd just wrap the chrome V I have sitting downstairs and replace it with that. Alas, no such luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts