2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Mazda 3 i Touring
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've been chasing a check engine light issue with my 2012 Mazda 3 i Touring (SkyActiv). The codes I get are P0456, P0442, and P0455. The first thing I did was to replace the fuel filler cap, which didn't help (the light came back on after clearing it). I then took the car to a mechanic who replaced the purge valve. The light went off for 2-3 weeks, then came back. I am due for a yearly inspection soon and I'd like to try to fix this issue myself. Other than the check engine light, the only symptoms I've noticed are a small amount of fuel spitting back out when filling the tank (this only happens occasionally), decreased fuel economy, and a very slight rough idle which I just noticed yesterday. I have never noticed any fuel smell or leaking fuel whatsoever. I'd like to try replacing the canister vent valve solenoid (not the purge valve - that has already been replaced). However, I can't find any good videos or even a detailed description online for this repair. The only thing I've found is a post on Reddit where one person claims it is difficult to find the canister and vent valve and even more difficult to reach it, as it is located near the fuel filler and hidden by the frame. Has anyone attempted this fix? As soon as the weather improves I plan to raise the rear of the car and try to locate the canister and valve and see if I can get to it. Any advice before I try this would be appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
2012 Mazda 3 i Touring
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Perhaps, although it didn't solve the issue. I took it to a different mechanic just today who will perform a proper test/diagnosis of the EVAP system rather than guessing at the problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Any progress on the replacement?

I'm in the same boat. Getting a P0456 code. Was getting a fuel odor from around the tank. I replaced the gas cap, then the purge valve, with no help.

When the car was parked with the nose up an incline after filling up with fuel, I noticed a few drips of gas leaking from the charcoal canister.

Any guidance would be appreciated. I like to do all my own work. Car is a 2012 Skyactiv with 140k.

·
Registered
2012 Mazda 3 i Touring
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Algonquin, thanks for checking and sorry I did not post a follow-up. I had a local mechanic replace the canister vent valve solenoid two months ago and it has fixed the issue. My check engine light has not come back on since the repair and my fuel mileage is way better as well. Although I didn't do the repair myself it doesn't appear to be difficult. My mechanic said the hardest part of the job is accessing the solenoid because it's in a tight spot. I believe you can access the valve (located in front of the fuel tank) when the car is raised or perhaps by removing the right rear wheel. Good luck, I hope you're able to solve your issue as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the update and glad your check engine light is off.

I've located the valve and I'll see how it goes to replace.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Figure I'll post an update in case anyone else has this issue, as there isn't much available online.

The valve looks to be easier to get out than it actually is. After struggling for a half hour and making almost no progress, I cheated and cut a small hole in the trunk, under the spare tire. about 4" x 4". With this opening, it was simple to replace. I tacked welded the piece of trunk back in place and sealed it up with adhesive.

Been a week without the CEL reappearing so I'm pretty confident it was the culprit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts