2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here is how I changed the front door speakers in my 2012 Mazda 3 Skyactive. My main concern was that I couldn't find out how much actual clearance there was behind the speaker. I didn't know if the window would be the limiting factor or if there was something else in the way. So I just dove in and this is my story.

I really wanted to use a set of Focal Access 165 CA1 6.5-Inch Coaxial speaker because I could get a great deal on them and liked the way they sounded. In hind sight I should have sprang for the components but that will have to be an upgrade later when I move these to the back doors.
I searched Youtube and found a video on how to remove the door panes and found a great one here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nc80vaBlVE Again… not my video so props to Ruben dc for the youtube vid.

Once I removed the panel
[/IMG] and the OEM speaker
I found a metal obstruction
that needed to be either cut or bent out of the way so I could fit this speaker. I could have gone with a large number of 5.25” speakers but I wanted to use 6.5” so I decided to cut the metal panel.
It was very thin and didn’t seam like a problem so I use a regular jigsaw with a metal cutting blade
and made some slits in the metal panel.
After I cut the panel, I used a pair of pliers to bend the metal back which was a piece of cake.

Next I had to run the wires through the door from the amp to the speakers. This was kind of a pain. I removed the boot between the door and car,
detached the latch and drilled a hole just big enough for my 14 Gauge wire to fit through.
I ran the wire through and re-connected the plug and buttoned that back up. The first door took 1.5 hours to do this plug business but the second door only took about 30 minutes. I respect professional installers for their swiftness on this kinda stuff. I ran the speaker wires from the passenger door speaker through the plastic foot guard with no issues. Amp is under the passenger seat. Running the wires from the driver’s door was a bit more difficult. Since there is a bunch of electronics and steering wheel gizmos near the driver’s door I could not reach my normal sized cajun hands between the obstacles to pull the wire. I turned to my 8 year old son for help at this point and he was able to lay on the floorboard and grab the speaker wire as I shined a flashlight through the molex plug and fed the wire into the car. It was a great father son moment and I hope you can share it as I did.

Since the OEM speakers ar 5x7” I bought some adapters from guess where?..... A website!
PVC Speaker Adapters - CNC Machined - In Stock or Custom Made It’s a pretty straight forward site and the adapters came in about 5 days later. I like these because the are made from PVC instead of plastic like some other companies use. Totally worth the $10 per set. Plus if you take pics they will credit you back half of your purchase price. At least that’s the running deal they have now. I chose to use some nylon gasket material from Lowes that I had left over from another speaker project; between the speaker mounts and the adapters.

Next I used some XTC baffles I got from Crutchfield to protect the backside of my speakers from the moisture in my door from rain. This baffle also acts as a gasket between the speaker and the adapter.

To fasted the speakers to the adapters. I used zinc pan head 10x 1” screws. They come in a bag of 8 and cost about $2 at Lowes. (Closest Hardware store to my house.)

Tadow! All done and no issues with the door cover.

I'm using a 6 channel JL a6450 to run the two front doors with Focal access 165ca1 6.5-inch coaxial and a Focal Polyglass 27 V1 for bass in the back hatch and will move the coaxials to the rear door speakers when I can recoup some cash to put components in the front. I am more happy with the sound in this car than any other vehicle I've owned. I'll have to say that the sub is very nice and musical. I've tried a few different subs in this car and this one sounds the best hands down. That's why I looked into the Focal mids, and I'm happy I did.
Thanks for lookin.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I have a link at the beginning on this write up to a youtube clip. I just followed that and it was a cinch.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn't measure them but from what i hear it really depends on the company that makes the speaker. Some call it 5x7 and some call it 6x8. The adapter plates fit pefectly.

·
2012 Mazda 3i Sport owner
245 Posts
I actually got an adapter plate that puts the speaker farther down to one side so i didnt have to cut/bend the metal piece. Makes it more like the bose adapter that mazda puts in stock.

·
2012 Mazda 3i Sport owner
245 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Id be really interested in a how to for doing dynamat on doors. Ive never done a sound system before so I have no idea where you need to apply sound deadening

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you for the guide, it is very helpful. Will you disconnect your twitters while you have a coaxial in the front? Is the OEM front speaker a component speaker or coaxial? I am looking at replacing my front speakers because one is crackling and I definitely do not want to replace them with OEMs, but since my budget is limited and I do not plan on installing an amp, or sub or any other audio component soon, I am not sure what my options are. What would you recommend?

Thanks!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts