2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone !
I have a Mazda cx5 - 2018 2.0 WD, I want to do the project of switching to automatic dual-wheel mode (AWD), is it feasible? spare parts need to prepare? TCM module ... what to change? Any ideas?

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,323 Posts
It would be easier and cheaper to trade your car in and buy the AWD version.
CK

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Agreed! Cost of parts, fun times sourcing them, dealing with mounting parts, need different transmission with transfer case, and then the ultimate headache of figuring out the electronics. It would be cheaper to sell your car and get one that already has awd in it.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Yep, it's a monster technical problem and you may also face insurance and registration problems later. Finally when you sell the car not many people would touch such a conversion.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Probably the hardest is the cost, but how much is it, pro ?:sleep:
Somehow I don't think anyone is interested in hunting down part costs for you let alone guessing at labor costs if you're having a shop do the work.

Start searching the internet. Talk to junkyards if you're really serious about this. Pretty sure your internet is working.

·
Super Moderator
5,546 Posts
To do this you would need to find a working AWD model and swap the driveline from the transmission back, and also swap all associated electronics and control modules, then the ECU would need to be reflashed to make everything work. Probably not worth the effort. Best bet is unload the 2wd car you don't want and get the car you want.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts