2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Car: 2014 Mz3 i sport.
70,000 km / 43,500 mi

Bought the car in February knowing the rear brakes would need to be replaced soon. I think I now have a month or so left before I have to do that so I'm looking at my options. The front brakes are going to last a while longer. I suspect I have OEM semi-metallic pads or similar in the car. Stopping power is quite good but the rears are noisy tough I don't have any pedal pulsations. I don't mind the brake dust. Initial brake bite is quite high, but I've gotten used to that though it would be nice to improve on that. I am sometimes a spirited street driver but I'm not ever going to track this car. I'm also in southern Ontario so I will sometimes see cold winter days.

I've read a bunch of brake threads here and after doing that I have one question for you all. Will I be happy with good ceramic pads or should I stick with good semi-metallic? I'm currently looking at OEM, Centric and ECB parts. I think I will replace the rotors instead of having them turned. I'm not looking to replace the stock calipers.

In a nutshell, I want to at minimum keep the brake performance I have now, improve on the pedal feel, and lose some of the noise. If I can get a bit more endurance out of the brakes that would be a bonus but it's at the bottom of my list.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Ceramic -> minimal to no noise, minimal dust
Semi-metalic -> make some noise, more dust, but stop better

That's a general rule, of course it differs from pad to pad. My OEM brake pads don't make any noise. Your rear pads may not be OEM if they are noisy.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,496 Posts
EBC Green Stuff pads come highly recommended. There's a thread discussing them, if you search.
CK

Reactions: Reydan3

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
EBC Green Stuff pads come highly recommended. There's a thread discussing them, if you search.
CK
Yup, I read that thread a couple of weeks ago and then a bunch of other stuff online and ended up with a bit too much info :)

A good ceramic is the way to go for me :thumbup1 1:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's a general rule, of course it differs from pad to pad. My OEM brake pads don't make any noise. Your rear pads may not be OEM if they are noisy.
Good point that my pads might not be OEM. I thought at my mileage they would likely be original, but as I'm finding out this car is known for wearing rear pads fast. Either way, it will be nice to get rid of the squeaking!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts