2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else had the Piano Black part of their center console basically self destruct? I have a 2020 sedan that has developed over 8 cracks on the center console leaving a few sharp edges that i have gotten small cuts from. I’ve already taken the car to the dealership who submitted a warranty claim, but Mazda Corp denied it. The dealership quoted replacement @ $700, because Mazda only sells the replacement part as a complete unit, which includes the command wheel and electronic switches. I’m pissed as I have never abused the car, never rested any heavy weight on the center console and rarely use the cup holders to cause this damage.
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Product Hood Automotive wheel system Material property

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's a bummer that it cracked, but I can tell you why they denied your warranty claim: abuse. Looking at the photos, the trim is scratched all to heck, there's a hole in the shifter boot (cig burn?), scratches and wear spots on the rim of the cup holder. Not accusing you of abusing your car, but something has been rubbing on that CF trim and the edge of the cupholder. Almost looks like you left a dog in the car and it went to town on your console.

As for how to fix it, you can try a junkyard (way cheaper than the dealer, but you'll have to remove/install it yourself). You can do the stick-on covers, but you'll have to glue or plastic weld the cracks before covering it. For the future never let anything hard touch the surfaces in the car and they'll last a lot longer. For instance, never use your fingernail to push any of the buttons/knobs, over time a fingernail will wear off the finish and you'll have ugly buttons. Another example is rings on your hand that rub on the shifter will rub the finish off in no time. That glossy fake CF trim is really easy to scratch, and you've had something rubbing on that for a while.
Thanks for the response, and suggestions. I can’t help that the piano black plastic is junk. Im the only driver of the vehicle. Nothing hard has ever touched the center console, and only usehigh quality microfiber cloths to clean it with very little pressure. I’ve rarely use the cup holders, and never on the passenger side where the cracking is the worst. There is no burn mark on the shifter boot, it was just a little dirt that you were seeing. I wear no rings, and keep my finger nails trimmed. Also not shown in pictures are a series of 4-5 nearly perfectly horizontal cracks along the right side above the volume knob.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can you post of picture of those cracks by the volume knob? I tend to agree with @RocketmanKarl that this looks like wear and tear. Doesn't mean you intentionally abused it, just that the cracks look to be the result of unintentional impacts rather than a design defect. Also agree you'd want to fix/seal the cracks before covering. I would not bother replacing it completely unless you're fine with it looking the way it does again in a couple of years.
Thanks for the response, it may be a few days till I can get a good photo of the cracks on the side of the center console. As far as the scratching/scuffing, it looks worse because the photos were taken using my Scangrip Detailing light, which amplifies imperfections (I detail vehicles as a side job) so it’s possible to polish that out to looking almost new(aside from cracks) in less than an hour.

Its hard to tell by the photos, but a close inspection shows that the cracks started at the corners of the shifter which would be a structural weak point if there was a defect in the molding of the plastic cover and worked outward towards the cup holders.

Im the type that would own it, if I actually accidentally damaged it. But when I am driving, hitting no bumps or potholes and hear a loud cracking sound, and then suddenly see cracks on the console. It’s frustrating.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I hear you. I found a small crack in the same location as that first pic on my console and was stumped too; but I must have nicked the plastic with my metal water bottle. Notice how the cracks are precisely centered where a water bottle or drink container would slide into the cup holder? That's not a coincidence, IMO. As for the cracks getting worse with time, that's not surprising either, just like a windshield crack. In the alternative, it could be a bad batch of plastic that spontaneously self destructed, but that type of defect likely would have shown up with others by now. Fix it up, throw a cover on top, and call it a day.
Just for reference, here is the picture along the side center console above the volume knob where you can clearly see 4 more cracks not tied into the cracks at the top of the center console.
White Light Product Automotive design Motor vehicle

1 - 4 of 4 Posts