2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Thanks for the response, and suggestions. I can’t help that the piano black plastic is junk. Im the only driver of the vehicle. Nothing hard has ever touched the center console, and only usehigh quality microfiber cloths to clean it with very little pressure. I’ve rarely use the cup holders, and never on the passenger side where the cracking is the worst. There is no burn mark on the shifter boot, it was just a little dirt that you were seeing. I wear no rings, and keep my finger nails trimmed. Also not shown in pictures are a series of 4-5 nearly perfectly horizontal cracks along the right side above the volume knob.
Can you post of picture of those cracks by the volume knob? I tend to agree with @RocketmanKarl that this looks like wear and tear. Doesn't mean you intentionally abused it, just that the cracks look to be the result of unintentional impacts rather than a design defect. Also agree you'd want to fix/seal the cracks before covering. I would not bother replacing it completely unless you're fine with it looking the way it does again in a couple of years.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Thanks for the response, it may be a few days till I can get a good photo of the cracks on the side of the center console. As far as the scratching/scuffing, it looks worse because the photos were taken using my Scangrip Detailing light, which amplifies imperfections (I detail vehicles as a side job) so it’s possible to polish that out to looking almost new(aside from cracks) in less than an hour.

Its hard to tell by the photos, but a close inspection shows that the cracks started at the corners of the shifter which would be a structural weak point if there was a defect in the molding of the plastic cover and worked outward towards the cup holders.

Im the type that would own it, if I actually accidentally damaged it. But when I am driving, hitting no bumps or potholes and hear a loud cracking sound, and then suddenly see cracks on the console. It’s frustrating.
I hear you. I found a small crack in the same location as that first pic on my console and was stumped too; but I must have nicked the plastic with my metal water bottle. Notice how the cracks are precisely centered where a water bottle or drink container would slide into the cup holder? That's not a coincidence, IMO. As for the cracks getting worse with time, that's not surprising either, just like a windshield crack. In the alternative, it could be a bad batch of plastic that spontaneously self destructed, but that type of defect likely would have shown up with others by now. Fix it up, throw a cover on top, and call it a day.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts