2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

CEL, charging light malfunction

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  voltizar1 
#1 ·
got CEL earlier today! Happened after I parked (i was inside the parking lot and properly parked when this happened.)

After I parked, just organized myself to get ready but after a couple of minutes the engine suddenly stopped (See RPM in Image) and CEL light turned ON, also noticed that the charging light malfunction is lit. Tried to re-start the car by pressing the brake and then pushing the start button but to no avail.

Turned off the car by pushing the start/stop button. After turning off, waited for about 5 minutes and then re-started the car. CEL light went off and charging light malfunction alert was off as well. I was already preparing to call emergency roadside assistance already.

No changes in driving pattern and the only thing I can remember is a pothole that was on the road that I did not miss.

Any clues? Relevant information is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
It's expected that dash lights will be lit once the engine stalls & dies w/o actually pushing the start/stop button or in older cars, turning the key to off position.
After the engine died, the key was likely on ON position, hence when you 1st pressed brake & pushed the button, you were actually turning the car off. Did you redo the start steps multiple times to no avail? Was there cranking but no start prior to the successful 1 after the 5min rest? Really hope it's not the fuel system, pump or pressure regulator. It'll be like shooting in the dark w/o an extracted code. Let's pray it's 1 of those fluke 1s & not an intermittent pump..... Well, should it be the latter, there's warranty anyway.
Please share that code, if any, on here....oh, & observe.
After some thought, it might have been just a random misfire that brought the idle too low for the engine to recover.....but this is a glass-half-full thinking.:)

#3 · (Edited)
I would connect a scan tool and see what that code was... Lots of things can cause engine to stall. Missfire, lack of fuel, sensors malfunctioning.

You should be able to see a cleared code as long as a scan tool did not clear it. Mazda ECU remembers codes it has cleared byself as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.